back to article TSMC sees slowdown in demand for PCs, smartphones

Chipmaking giant TSMC says China's COVID lockdowns slowed PC and smartphone demand, but given the Taiwanese outfit already struggles to meet demand, company chair Mark Liu was unfussed by the dip. Speaking informally at the Taiwan Semiconductor Industry Association's general meeting, Liu painted an overall rosy picture of TSMC …

1. NightFox

For the love of God, can we crowdsource a new logo for TSMC?

1. confused and dazed

I don't think I'd want that chip after those tweezers have finished with it either ....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I like that logo. It reminds me of the ominous broadcasting and communication logo's of the late 70's and early 80's that companies from small to big we're using. The 1982 and 1986 international world fairs were packed with these logos for "projects" or "ambitions" of companies. Today, a company project is simply the required string of text that must give it a name, but back then it was trendy to attach a logo to almost every single public facing project.

1. NightFox

It always makes me think of a prop from 1970's Dr Who - the company logo that would have been on the wall behind the desk of the CEO who was under the control of the $ALIENRACE

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I like that logo. It reminds me that large chips with only a few per wafer are vulnerable to single point defects and illustrates the proportional larger waste from edge loses.

It also suggests that someone's nephew had a copy of Amiga paint in the 80s

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Project Logos

I worked with someone who was very popular with Senior Management. He usd to spend 2 weeks coming up with project names and Logos. Hen he trespassed into my domain running a 'corporate project' which just took my 3 year work plan for system improvements, juggled it and screwed up the priorities I had spent a year agreeing he came up with the name 'Finance Systems Team' and a logo of a closed fist.

His 'new' team then went around for 3 months 'information gathering' to find that the original work plan was accurate, complete and prioritized while wasting weeks of staff time.

I took great delight in starting the the informal team motto 'You Know when you've been FIST'ed'

In 30 years of managing projects I have never seen the need for a project Logo.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like