back to article US, Canada to figure out rules on cops and Feds accessing people's data across borders

The US and Canada said on Wednesday that representatives are negotiating an agreement to apply the CLOUD Act to law enforcement operations that reach across their respective borders. The US adopted the Clarifying Lawful Overseas Use of Data (CLOUD) Act in 2018 to provide signatories with expedited access to information held by …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's how it works:

The US says "We want you to jump through these hoops for 'security' reasons we refuse to explain."

The Canadian government goes "Yes, sir, just so long as you don't expect to bring armed guards on our side of the border. Oh, your proposal includes armed American security in Canada? Well, ok, if you INSIST. Is there anything else we can do for you?" _grovel_

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Weren't we building a wall ?

1. Paper
        Trollface

Yes, and we're going to make the USA pay for it!

2. DS999 Silver badge

Canada is part of Five Eyes

So they probably don't need the "security" reasons explained.

2. Tempest
    Thumb Down

Canada Kissing US Rearward-Facing Growths, Again

Had Pierre Trudeau's son, the present Prime Minister of Canada, sufficient wherewithal as his Father he would have told the Americans go "Mange La Merde"*.

* This was a public statement by PT

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Canada Kissing US Rearward-Facing Growths, Again

When travelling through the US I always factory reset my phone on the inbound flight.

That is the recommended process after a firmware upgrade. If I'm ever asked to unlock my phone, I hand it over and say "There is no password," and they can take any data created during the reset, which is very little. It's a work phone and easily recreated once I clear Customs.

If asked to sign into my accounts, I refuse. They have the right to inspect any data on the phone. You have no obligation to sign into any account that does not exist on the device.

FYI.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No need to discuss, it's so easy!

For Americans - self-service, open bar.

For Canadians - say please and we'll see what we can do for you.

Shake hands, everybody happy, partners etc.

4. clyde666

new world order

So it's just another instance of the US wanting to write the rules and make everyone else abide by them

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Privacy ? USA ? can't fit both in a sentence.

" safeguarding the privacy and civil liberties values that we both share," said Attorney General Merrick Garland

Privacy and civil liberty values in the USA mean nothing. We all know how that goes.

If our local idiot in chief signs this .. Pierre Eliott Trudeau ( his dad ) will turn in his toomb.

But .. you know .. " think of the children "

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Due process? We've heard of it

The CLOUD Act requires that the US Attorney General certify to Congress that partner countries have and practice laws that contain "robust substantive and procedural protections for privacy and civil liberties," as the Justice Department puts it.

Odd requirement, given that the US itself doesn't bother with those niceties anymore.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Paul_Canada
    Facepalm

Well screw it!

We may as well just join the US at the rate this nonsense is going!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like