back to article Apple stops censoring terms it etches onto iPhones in Taiwan

Apple has stopped political censorship of terms that buyers choose to have engraved onto its products in Taiwan – but has kept the policy in both mainland China and Hong Kong, leading an academic research group to wonder whether Apple does not fully understand its own censorship policies and applications, or is bowing to Beijing …

1. PhilipN Silver badge

"Engrave Danger"

^^ Title of the August 18, 2021 paper. And we are supposed to take it seriously?

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: "Engrave Danger"

It's full of cutting remarks.

1. b0llchit Silver badge

But removed the sharp edges.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
          Mushroom

It should just be China, not Hong Kong and China. Hong Kong is no longer independent and with the PLC crackdowns and BS "support your government or else" laws in effect, there is no difference anymore.

Once Russia is sorted out with sanctions, attention should turn full onto China and their belligerent attitude towards their maritime and bordering neighbors.

The "South China Sea" should be renamed "South Pacific Sea," or something else neutral. Their artificial atolls should be isolated and blockaded until they leave. Taiwan should be recognized by all democracies and Tibet freed.

It's time to promote democracy, along with human rights and freedoms globally. The time of despots is over.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Of course not. It's not like it's written in stone.....ah.....hang on....

3. Trigonoceps occipitalis

"Is there any other kind?"

In my best Colonel Nathan R. Jessup voice.

2. emfiliane

> leading an academic research group to wonder whether Apple does not fully understand its own censorship policies and applications, or is bowing to Beijing's wishes.

LMAO. 90% of Apple's parts and all of their assembly is done in Mainland China. It's very easy to get up on a keynote and give a visionary speech, it's quite another thing to actually significantly disrupt your business and build and entire new supply chain from scratch. Now, if anyone *could* actually do it, I'd bet on Apple, but as long as they and their customers are totally content with lip service, that's all anyone's going to get.

3. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    Holmes

So keeping China happy may go some way to explaining at least some of Apple's policy behaviour here.

Pretty sure this comes under the heading "No shit, Sherlock".

4. Tempest
    FAIL

My Choice to Engrave on Apple Products would be

廢話內容

1. Tempest

Re: My Choice to Engrave on Apple Products would be

Google translate will provide the answer.

5. Shalghar

As you like it

If the "bad word" list is never published nor accessible, apple can censor whatever they like, whenever they like with the excuse of a list that nobody will ever have access to.

I do not believe this kind of behaviour is only apple and china related. Yucktube, farcebook and the like have been censoring or deleting contents and accounts due to some unspecified "breach of rules" several times already.

Please correct me if i am wrong but i seem to remember "secret laws" in the USA, created after 9/11. Pretty much the same mechanism, "we wont tell you what you did wrong"....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon