back to article Win 11 adds 'requirements not met' nag for unsupported hardware

Those running Windows 11 on unsupported hardware are getting an update, though not the kind that low-end hardware and VM users might be hoping for. The latest Release Preview of Windows 11 adds an undocumented feature that slaps a line of text in the lower right hand side of the Windows desktop and a similar warning in the …

1. cawfee
    Angel

Nix it in el Reg

HKCU > Control Panel > UnsupportedHardwareNotificationCache > SV2

Change to 0.

:)

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: Nix it in el Reg

Until the next update changes everything.

The game of cat and mouse continues...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What is it with the people at Microsoft, that think they have the god given right to do this?

Maybe someone should point out to Satya Nadella, the ins and outs of the simplicity of an MK light switch, because the 'current ones' have been in place 15 years in my house, and never once have they failed, and never once have MK told me they are 'out of date' and need replacing.

Microsoft Windows does the drudge, in the same way as an MK light switch and like MK light switches, the basic functionality of Windows hasn't changed since Windows 7 or even longer, aka. 15 years.

Microsoft needs to remember it's what happens in the room when the light is on that is important, not the switch itself.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Well there's also shitheads like TurboTax that declared my Windows 7 unacceptable

Then the fun began when Windows 10 shit the bed when it saw my USB CDROM drive, which works fine in Linux and Windows 7. No amount of Windows updates, BIOS updates, or driver installs made it work.

2. Wade Burchette

Every so often, I get a message from Windows 10 that an app is not compatible. The last time it did this, I renamed the .EXE file to a random letter, and the program worked just fine. I also fired off some feedback asking them who gave them the authority or right to determine what I can or cannot run on my computer. I also told them that when I renamed the file -- which I never told what program it was -- that it worked just fine.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correction

"Even when circumvented, Microsoft takes pains to notify users, which can get cumbersome in enterprise environments. (This will be rare, as Windows 11 on unsupported hardware is nightmare fuel for admins.)"

FTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Correction

Certainly a support nightmare, because users will wonder where all the right click context-sensitive menus have disappeared to.

Even the option to delete a file is somewhat hidden (non-obvious), in Windows 11, with users having to resort to a modern icon on the 'command bar' (replaces the ribbon bar), in Windows 11 file explorer, the menu option 'Delete' is now missing, hidden under 'Show more options'.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft needs to wake up to the fact that I will NOT buy new hardware whenever they decide they want more revenue...

4. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Cue the Linux users

This will be a great opportunity for users to abandon Windows and all their favourite apps, and move over to Linux and the pleasures of apt-get.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cue the Linux users

Can't tell if you are being sincere or if you actually struggle with apt-get... ;).

I will give you an up-vote for the benefit of the doubt.

1. martinusher Silver badge

>Can't tell if you are being sincere or if you actually struggle with apt-get... ;).

In case you've not figured this out yet all those spiffy graphical utilities tend to be command line editors for a program like apt-get. Even in Windows.

When I (foolishly) upgraded this system from '7' to '10' two things happened. One was that things inexplicably did or didn't work depending on which update had been installed. The other is that both the processor and the disk got hammered. When I changed the hard disk I put Mint on the system. I only bring up Windows now to run one or two programs (and when I've got that spare half hour for updates, scans, more updates and what have you to sit through). Linux "just works". Could it be better? Sure. But it was free -- paradoxically its the only OS that's worth money.

I'd like to get new hardware but the thought of having to deal with '11'....

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Linux

Re: pleasures of apt-get

Other package managers are available.

Choose the distro that meets your own use case.

3. midgepad

apt

now.

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

Exactly. It's so nice when I can say "apt install [package]" and it downloads it, figures out what else needs to be installed, and just does it.

I say "apt update" and "apt upgrade" on the 1st and 15th of the month and I'm good to go.

It Just Works.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's so nice when I can say

s/apt/yum/ etc

Apt is not the only game in town and has not been for well over a decade.

Linux is all about choice. I choose not to use apt or a distro that uses apt.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: It's so nice when I can say

"Linux is all about choice."

Most people don't know enough to make meaningful choices and just want a working computer.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Brewster's Angle Grinder - Re: It's so nice when I can say

Same thing about free elections. Just replace computer with government.

2. Boothy

Yup, that's one of my favourite features of Linux. The fact you can add software, and it's all basically managed via one mechanism. No need to worry about updating things individually, or having to download and install a separate package.

I really dislike it when you find some Linux 'app' that wants to install via a separate download, Windows style, rather than adding it via a repository.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And if there is that one Windows app that you really can't do without and can't yet find a good free/libre and open source replacement for, there is WINE. So, yes, upgrade to GNU/Linux!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Windows 11 ISO has 'hard blocks' in place, even with a clean install.

"Fresh Windows 11 installations from an ISO file don't check for hardware requirements, so if you're willing to start fresh you might be able to avoid this entire kerfuffle."

Microsoft changed things very late in the day, and obfuscated things, regarding the retail ISO "Get Windows 11 ISO".

There are 'hard blocks' in place even for a clean install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows11/

The ISO (downloaded from this URL) does check the hardware requirements during a clean install and places 'hard blocks' in place on the hardware if there is no TPM chip, Secure Boot enabled or a processor that meets the minimum specification (Intel Gen 8 or later).

Yes, there are ways to bypass this (registry setting hacks or removal of a key file from the ISO), but the ISO by default 'as shipped' has 'hard blocks' in place for both a clean install and an in place upgrade.

It won't install, and you can't bypass those checks, i.e. Microsoft doesn't treat such checks as a warning during the installation aka. 'soft blocks', it stops you from installing Windows 11.

1. ITS Retired

Re: The Windows 11 ISO has 'hard blocks' in place, even with a clean install.

That's because Microsoft believes it is their computer, not yours and they only want the latest and best hardware for their attempts at a working OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ITS Retired - Re: The Windows 11 ISO has 'hard blocks' in place, even with a clean install.

It's the other way around. You believe it is your computer.

1. My-Handle

Re: @ITS Retired - The Windows 11 ISO has 'hard blocks' in place, even with a clean install.

The difference is that I'm right, and I have both purchase receipts and the technical expertise to enforce that opinion.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Perhaps the reason for this new feature is to permit the installation of W11 on "legacy" hardware, but to visibly flag W11 is running in this mode, assisting support calls.

The reason for doing this would be to force users off W10, because uptake of W11 isn't fast enough.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Roland6,

If that was the case, Microsoft would have given end users (i.e. someone with administrative rights, managing their own PC) a switch in the Settings menu to turn off this watermark, with a setting to override this setting in the Group Policy Manager. i.e. "Some settings are managed by your organization on Windows 11".

They haven't, so it isn't. It's just more of Microsoft's endless abusive relationship, with its users "We know best, we're going to force this on you anyway, because we can".

Nagware is one thing. What worries me more is having this attitude at work towards your customers, there's potential to take the same style of abusive relationship home to their families.

Microsoft really needs to look at the way it works as a company, if Microsoft management think this is still OK and 'normal' in 2022. Policies need to change, and now.

Chubb and Yale, don't make a 5-lever lock that automatically locks my front door at 10pm and doesn't open it again until 7am in the morning, because 'they know best for my safety', so why does Microsoft think it has this god given right?.

Then add into the mix, perish the thought, the idea that Chubb/Yale, stop me using my 'own key' to override such a lock if it did exist.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Its a "Release Preview" not a fully developed feature, remember this is Microsoft where the new normal is to release stuff still in development.

Althogh in saying that, I don't see why MS would provide any (supported) method to override the display of this watermark, unless the user upgrades their hardware and performs a repair reinstall... Remember it is primarily a reminder/nag that says "To get the full W11 experience you need to upgrade your hardware".

I can see this being enhanced to cover cpu's, network adapters etc. that MS deem are out-of-support.

Remember the early days of W10, I had a W7-x64 machine with 4GB of RAM, MS decided this system was only fit for W10-x32, I suspect if MS had more about the downgrade more people would have gone out and upgraded to W10-x64.

By the way Chubb and Yale are old-school locksmiths, don't expect the new boys aka Alexa, Hive etc. who demand a subscription to be as considerate.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge

"remember this is Microsoft where the new normal is to release stuff still in development."

But that's been the "new normal" since 1985...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

What about?

Those of us who have supported hardware and still don't want to trust Win11 for the next few years?

1. marcellothearcane

Re: What about?

Silent updates.

1. BobChip
        Linux

Silent updates? That'l be Linux then...

2. David 132 Silver badge
        Meh

Yep. One day soon you'll power on your PC and be greeted with a fullscreen "Hi! We upgraded your computer to Windows 11 for you! Now while we move all your personal data to our cloud, create your Microsoft account so you can log in, and check out all these amazing offers and addictive games from our carefully selected partners! We think you'll love Candy Soda Saga!"

I wish I was certain I was joking.

2. Someone Else Silver badge

Microsoft's strict hardware requirements for Windows 11 are well known, and the method for bypassing them is likely also known to anyone who needs to run Windows 11 on older computers or in a virtual environment.

What is not so well known is how to prevent Micros~1 from installing Win 11 on a machine that meets "Micros~1's strict hardware requirements", because the machine's "operator"1 just doesn't want it.

1I originally typed "owner" here, but as any fule nose, from Micros~1's perspective, you don't own your machine...they do.

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

I guess disabling the TPM in the BIOS should mean it doesn't make the requirement?

Although I expect MS will start to silently drop these restrictions if the number of Windows 11 installs doesn't tick up and too many people stick on 10.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

But then you get a huge warning in the Settings -> Windows Update saying the system isn't W11 compatible etc. Fortunately this isn't a problem, W10 will continue to update. Although like GWX, expect the nagging to get more desperate as we get closer to W10 EoL.

However, if MS determines your machine is W11 compatible, you do have problems as it seems it only permits the installation of critical updates, blocking feature updates from say 2004/20H2/21H1 to 21H2, they would much prefer users to click on the upgrade now to W11. Whilst there are ways around this, it should be unnecessary

1. Someone Else Silver badge

However, if MS determines your machine is W11 compatible, you do have problems as it seems it only permits the installation of critical updates, blocking feature updates from say 2004/20H2/21H1 to 21H2, [...]

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Disabling something in the BIOS doesn't nesicarily mean the OS can't find the hardware and use it anyway. As I once discovered many years ago when experimenting with installing Linux on "Drive D" with "Drive C" disabled in the BIOS to "protect" my Windows install :-)

(Luckily I had a proper backup which did actually restore)

3. BobChip
      Linux

Those of us who have more than adequate hardware (I do) and STILL have no intention of "trusting" Win -any number you like - EVER? Icon cos you already know what I TRUST.

4. Barking mad

I finally gave up on Win7 when they stopped security updates (is that a good or a bad thing?) and moved to Win10. I expect to transition to Win11 with the same alacrity.

It amazes me how really useful and simple to use features disappear. Compare reordering known networks on Win7 with Win10. Win7 - open list, drag networks for new order, job done. Win10... well, no helpful information on Microsoft website and eventually did it with a command line.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Barking mad - Re: What about?

Not ready yet to give up on my Windows 7 although the writing is on the wall. Some of the software installed is no longer getting updates. As long as at least one Internet browser (no, not Chrome) will work, I'll be happily staying on 7.

2. LybsterRoy Silver badge

Thank you for telling me that W7 isn't supplying security updates. I never noticed since I turned the update service off many years ago.

3. DoctorPaul

<cough>BypassESU<cough>

4. Roland6 Silver badge

Kaspersky (*) is still getting updates.

(*) Is that a permitted security suite these days? I have 100 days to decide what to replace it with.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@HildyJ - Re: What about?

I managed to disable TPM and SecureBoot on all my Windows 10 machines.I guess I was lucky but you can give it a try.

1. Boothy

Re: @HildyJ - What about?

Same here.

Although I noticed the latest BIOS update released for my board (Asrock), now has 'Windows 11 compatibility' added to the changes. The board was already compatible!

Turns out, the update simply enables Secure Boot and TPM by default (they were disabled by default previously).

So if I now update the BIOS (which I would need to do to support a Zen 3 CPU if I upgraded from my current Zen 2), I'd need to remember to switch Secure Boot and TPM off again before booting into the Windows 10 OS! (I have no plans to move to Win 11).

So be aware, if updating your BIOS, you might find SecureBoot and TPM being turned on by default, when it was off previously!

2. Someone Else Silver badge

Re: @HildyJ - What about?

Unfortunately, I have an HP Echo desktop, and there is no (visible) setting where I can disable or downgrade TPM. I've seen references that I may be able to upgrade my bios to get that functionality, but as is usually the case with HP stuff, their documentation is spotty and muddled, and I'm not quite sure whether this is the case.

6. Patched Out

Making your computer incompatible

That's easy. Just do what I did. Go into your UEFI/BIOS and turn off fTPM. Microsoft will stop bothering you to install Windows 11.

7. Captain Scarlet
      Windows

Don't enable TPM, its what I did.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just when you thiught that they could not sink any lower

they come out with this...

The more that they apply clusterfucks like this to the OS... the happier I feel for getting off their bandwagon in half a decade ago..

macOS and Linux provide all my computing needs. microsoft.com is blocked at my firewall and has been for 4+ years.

8. simonlb Silver badge
    Mushroom

Dear Microsoft

"Operating System usability and functionality requirements not met. Must try a lot harder."

Now piss off and try again.

1. My-Handle

Re: Dear Microsoft

"Now piss off and try piss off again."

FTFY

9. Mr D Spenser
    Coat

Windows 11 is proof that ...

Windows 10 is the last version of Windows you will ever need.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Re: Windows 11 is proof that ...

Didn't they say that about Windows7?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows 11 is proof that ...

No, usually they say "This is the best Windows ever!!!!!!111", with the implication that what they sold us 3-5 years ago was, and is, a steaming pile of shit suitable only for techno-phobes and losers.

10. aerogems Silver badge

Seems fair

If and when Microsoft decides to add some feature(s) to Win11 that will require certain functions only found on the supported CPU list, people won't be able to claim that they weren't duly warned.

1. NotRelevent

Re: Seems fair

There are at least a few CPUs on that "supported" list that are functionally identical to ones that aren't on the list.

These blocks are not about anything other than making PC OEMs more money. They aren't based on any sort of security improvement, or stability improvement or literally anything else.

1. aerogems Silver badge

Yes, yes... Microsoft = the devil, yada yada yada. We've all seen this scene play out before ad nauseum and it goes something like this.

1: Microsoft changes something about Windows

2: There's much wailing and gnashing of teeth, including promises that this is the last straw and the commenter is going to switch to Linux

3: Time passes

4: Go to step 1

If even 1% of the people who threaten to switch to Linux in comments on tech forums actually followed through, the year of Linux on the desktop would have arrived over a decade ago. So forgive me if I'm not impressed by a bunch of empty bluster by yet another keyboard warrior.

1. martinusher Silver badge

>If even 1% of the people who threaten to switch to Linux in comments on tech forums actually followed through, the year of Linux on the desktop would have arrived over a decade ago.

Most users belong in two categories. One is business where they get what they're given and do what they're told. The other is 'we only use the system for mail and browsing'.

There are few features on modern Windows that are worth upgrading for. I'm a 'pro' so most of new features either degrade existing capabilities or are irrelevant (do I really care whether icons are in one place or another or whether they've got rounded corners or not?). But then I'm OK with a command line.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Judging by the "feature(s)" Microsoft has added to Windows over the past 10 years, I can't say most of us would mind horribly if newer "feature(s)" couldn't be installed because of CPU incompatibility. Most of the new "feature(s)" primarily exist to drive people to Microsoft's store or to Office365, not to actually do novel, useful things for the user.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

This was one of the dumb aspects of the W10 concept. Whilst the OS name remained as "Windows 10", users had to learn about build numbers to determine if certain things were or were not supported.

This made things more beneficial to system builders, particularly at the cheap end, as they could sell stuff as "Windows 10" yet it was only capable of running an early 32-bit build that was soon to go EoL. Obviously, I don't remember any reports of users being conned into buying a 486 to run XP.

11. Neil 8

4GB RAM, 1GHz 64-bit processor.

Those quoted requirements look almost reasonable. However, my machine has 48GB RAM, 4Ghz 64-bit processor with 16 cores (original Threadripper) - But doesn't meet the requirements for Win11.

1. LybsterRoy Silver badge

Re: 4GB RAM, 1GHz 64-bit processor.

Coffee - meet keyboard :)

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: 4GB RAM, 1GHz 64-bit processor.

I find it interesting that no one seems to have attempted to actually run W11 on minimum spec hardware. Whilst I suspect it will run on such low spec hardware, just like W10 did (And W7 before it), a YouTube video of the result would be helpful in giving some idea of just how much of a car crash it is.

12. Elledan
    Meh

Removing the transparancy from Windows

Even in the Win8.x days - loathsome as its UI was - the OS still trusted you, the user, to know WTH you were doing. Most of us are used to just checking the listed hardware requirements and making our own judgement call on whether installing the OS on a specific piece of hardware is a good idea. Nothing keeping you from trying to install Win7 on some old dusty rig you had lying around, poorly advised as it may be.

My current rig (Core i7 6700K, 32 GB RAM, GTX 980 Ti) should be able to run Windows 11 without any issues, even if I may not have the latest and greatest CPU extensions. Yet even if I were to plug a TPM module into the mainboard, it would still be marked as 'unsupported' due to the 'old' CPU. Disregarding that Skylake was the foundation of Intel CPU designs until Alder Lake. What's 'obsolete' about my rig again?

The worst part of this is probably that instead of you - the user - purchasing an OS and being left free to make your own mistakes on your own hardware, instead MSFT is getting to decide what your hardware should look like, down to 'features' that are completely unwanted by most, such as TPM. Add that on top of the increased adware and forced online registrations/'services' being hoisted on you when using 'free' Win11, and it makes one question who is the 'product' being sold here.

I just want to be able to purchase an OS like I used to in the olden days with Win98, 2k, XP and 7, and MSFT to otherwise leave me to my own devices. Literally.

13. 43300 Silver badge

"Fresh Windows 11 installations from an ISO file don't check for hardware requirements, so if you're willing to start fresh you might be able to avoid this entire kerfuffle.

From testing I've done, that's incorrect.

W11 has a 'soft' floor and a 'hard' floor where the system requirements are concerned. The soft floor is the published system requirements, and can be worked around in various ways as described in the article. The hard floor is a TPM 1.2 and Secure Boot - without those it will not install, even as a clean install.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What would you add as a 'watermark' bottom right, to the 1 Microsoft Way sign, at Redmond?

Leave your best graffitied 'watermark' below!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What would you add as a 'watermark' bottom right, to the 1 Microsoft Way sign, at Redmond?

"Powered by Xenix"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like