back to article UK regulator puts NortonLifeLock merger with Avast on ice

The UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) merger inquiry into NortonLifeLock's proposed $8bn acquisition of rival antivirus provider Avast has now closed, with the regulator concluding that a tie-up could indeed reduce competition in the marketplace. "Advanced discussions" concerning a merger of the two security vendors …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If nothing else, Linux on the desktop

has freed me from such worries.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Given that Kaspersky seems to be deprecated these days,

It seems the competition will be reduced even further.

3. Ali Dodd

good the last thing we need is an okay AV being swallowed up by the pile of tires on fire that is Norton.

4. Adrian 4

CMA

> This is far from the only example of the CMA inconveniencing technology companies lately.

You say that like it's a bad thing. What's the point of a CAM if it doesn't regulate ?

1. Excellentsword (Written by Reg staff)

Re: CMA

We're not against it

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: CMA

Truth is, "This is far from the only example of the CMA inconveniencing technology companies" has a definite negative spin on it. There are more neutral-sounding ways you could have phrased that. Just saying.

1. Excellentsword (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: CMA

Oh no, my sarcasm module must need rebooting

5. iron Silver badge

More like reduction in crap

No-one should ever use any product from Norton and based on the heavy advertising, etc the last time I used Avast no-one should use it either. So there is no reduction in competition, just a reduction in crappy products that should die in a fire.

6. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Wouldn't want to be there if it happens

I can only imagine the headaches of the merger. Non-stop fraudulent activity holds in finance, no e-mails getting through, and all computer systems slowing to a halt and flagging suspicious file changes.

7. s. pam Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Norton is still alive?

WTAF? I thought someone had put a bullet in that system resource hogging POS years ago?

1. Kientha

Re: Norton is still alive?

Not only is Norton still alive, Symantec decided that Norton was the only part of the business worth keeping! They sold the rest of it off for parts. Their SOC went to Accenture, and their enterprise AV/EDR suite went to Broadcom. Utterly bonkers decision given how wide spread SEP was (and still is)!

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: Norton is still alive?

I still have a fond memory of Norton Utilities back in Windows 3.11 times... That was IMHO peak Norton/Symantec, it only went downhill since.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like