back to article Microsoft slides ads into Windows Insiders' File Explorer

Microsoft appears to be experimenting with more adverts in Windows 11 after eagle-eyed Insider users spotted helpful hints turning up in File Explorer. Windows Insider Florian posted a screenshot of the ads, and other unpaid testers said they noticed similar hints lurking in the Dev Channel build, with one ad suggesting users …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    FAIL

Thank you for your purchase of high quality Microsoft products.

...and now a word from our sponsor... More Microsoft products you don't own, but probably should! You may as well buy them because we're going to harangue you until you do. Then we're going to convince you to go to a monthly subscription model to make us even more oodles of cash.

Microsoft. Because we care about increased profit margins... Oops, I mean we care about the contents of your bank account. No, sorry, got that wrong again. We care about you. Yeah, that's it.

1. ShadowSystems

I want to insert the old Youtube clip of the cable company rep telling us that "we don't give a fuck". I can't remember if it was sarcastic or not...

1. Wade Burchette

I don't know that one, but I do remember this one about the phone company.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Who here is old enough to remember Gerald Ratner?

2. A. Coatsworth Silver badge

>>Thank you for your purchase

And that is the problem. They took to heart the legalese about "licenses" and now our PCs are not really ours.

Sometimes I wonder if the "Great Reset" tinfoil-hatters are onto something

3. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

I find this list helps.

1. Falmari Silver badge

Thanks Hubert very useful.

2. herman
        Facepalm

Trackers galore

It looks like every person in the MS marketing dept has his own user tracking service.

4. Annihilator

"More Microsoft products you don't own"

And still won't own, because it's just a platform that we own to sell you.

For this reason, Windows 7 remains the pinnacle of Microsoft OSes. The "software as an (advertising) service" approach has been there since Win 10.

5. Arthur Daily

Forced Facelifts for old farts

Imagine being told you are ugly, you need a facelift to freshen up. Do not be afraid of the surgery etc. Every 7 years or so. Well every time I am forced to alter(not necessarily upgrade) their OS, I get angry. I am happy being who I am, and an interface I know well. Making matters worse, is I use mobile phone connectivity ONLY, in the backcountry, where there is no reception sometimes. At at 4.30 PM, my internet drops out because the feeble telco has skimped somewhere.

I wait patiently for the EU to tell MS they are not allowed to hoover my disk drive and keyword index so they can sell sales leads to every Tom Dick and Harry. It is bad form to read your sisters diary, but hey now that legal if its online and you are some big company.

The business has 1000's of savory legal cases, murders, things involving children, and done a global replace, inserting politicians names and company directors for a litany of egregious crimes. Yet somehow the plod are not knocking on their doors. If we get hacked, at least we find out early!

6. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

how about that TV screen in "Idiocracy" in which 3/4 of the screen was covered with ads and only the middle 25% or so had actual content you WANTED to see.

Cue Micros~1 "New WIndows" in late 2022 or 2023, using up that "unused" screen space and slowly encroaching onto your desktop until the amount of screen space available for actually USING the thing is only a fraction of the size of the monitor. "I'll need to upgrade my monitor to get work done now".

(Cycle of evil continues until it's like IDIOCRACY)

That and frogs being slowly boiled

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Maybe it's the point where a few more Windows users decide enough is enough.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

It's tempting. Especially as I've been waiting over 3 months for a new PC to arrive. Well, one that matches what I spec'd and isn't DOA. No dear vendor, a shingled drive isn't an acceptable substitute for the HDs I ordered.

But it was getting painful enough wrestling with Win10 telemetry. MS seems determined to frustrate PiHoling by using stuff like timeouts if it's spyware doesn't get a response from the mothership.

Oh for a Windows that would allow easy mode configurations and a bare bones OS. Still, if my new games/dirty box ever arrives, it should have 64GB memory, and might meet the minimum for Win12.

1. withQuietEyes

Funnily enough, I've been using Windows 7 at work (that's banks for you) and I'm a little shocked at how nice it is to use. No bloatware, no ads, a more sensible file explorer... Even with my company's restrictions, I can customize my machine more than I could the consumer Windows OS I have at home. (I mainly use Linux, but I was doing .Net development for a bit and needed a Windows setup as well.) Change is not progress, I guess.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Thumb Up

I cannot agree nor upvote this enough

Change is not progress

see icon

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Yup. After 'upgrading' from Win7, I quickly found myself missing it. After 11 versions of Windows, I'd have thought MS would have got better at optimisation, and the OS footprint shrinking.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

I'd have thought MS would have got better at optimisation, and the OS footprint shrinking.

The ONLY thing Micros~1 gets better at is figuring out ways to slurp, and sell what they get. You expect actual technical prowess from what is, and basically has always been, a marketing company? Whatever it is you're smoking, I want some!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You say that like it's the first time

When windows 11 is clearly the next giant F up in a long series of humiliating walk backs going back to what, Windows Millennium Edition? Windows 3.0?

The only difference is they skipped an number, so the whole odd/even thing is flipped. Windows 11-8-vista-XP(home)-and ME vs Windows 98, 2000, XP Pro, 7, and 10. So since y2k they are stuck at 50% rate of humiliating failure.

They are consistent though right?

People will rightfully howl about this, and there will either be a walkback or yet another registry key to set to turn the bleeping ads off, because like the failed vista and 8 rollouts, there are very big accounts that will tell their M$ rep to shove it and skip the release cycle until/unless it is fixed.

What probably isn't going to happen is a mass of users jumping ship for another OS. Because people don't use windows to do their job. They use software. They will use the version of windows that interferes the least with them using that software to do their job, but most businesses are still locked into windows.

Stay calm and just keep complaining about the problems in 11. In the mean time stay on an LTS build and just wait them out. They need our money more than I need a new operating system, so they need to come to the table with something I want, not something I hate.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Unhappy

Re: You say that like it's the first time

> They need our money more than I need a new operating system

Given (AFAIK) they don't charge for Windows anymore, they won't make any money anyway, except by stuffing ads down your throat and selling what you do, how and how often. Besides, generally speaking it's not up to you to decide which Windows you'll use, else most people would probably still be using WinXP or Win7. Microsoft decides, and users do as they're told, willingly or not (if you don't believe me, try buying a new computer with Win7).

As for the big accounts, they get a free pass to disable ads, because they are worth it. Which isn't true for the average Joe.

My point is, just like bleating won't save the sheep from being fleeced, complaining won't prevent Microsoft from fleecing you either. The only way to prevent this is to flee, and this isn't possible for everyone. Which is why Microsoft doesn't really care if the users are bleating, they'll get fleeced anyway.

1. Annihilator

"Given (AFAIK) they don't charge for Windows anymore"

This is what's so galling - you can absolutely still buy a Windows installation/licence (OEM "one device for life" or Retail). You still end up with an advertising platform.

And yeah, to your point, the big accounts are using Enterprise editions, which shouldn't have all the ad platform stuff bolted on. You'd think the same should apply to the Professional editions, but you'd be sorely disappointed.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
            Devil

> Enterprise editions, Professional editions

Yeah well, when I last used Windows (Win7), "Professional" was the full-fat versions for people who meant business.

With the help of inflation, "Professional" became "Home De Luxe", and they brought in the additional "Enterprise" version. Obviously costing way more than the already expensive "Professional" one, I guess...

And I bet in a couple years, serious users will have to opt for the "Corporation" version (costing several times the price of "Enterprise") if they want to retain some control over their work computers...

It's called marketing.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Meh

I would not consider Windows 3.0 an "F-up". I thought it was BRILLIANT at the time.

Remember how Windows 2.x and even the 386 version were all 2D FLATTY with CGA compatible colors? Well 3.0 fixed this with a 3D Skeuomorphic appearance and IT SOLD LIKE CRAZY, because of the 3D SKEUOMORPHIC APPEARANCE. And solitaire. (good luck finding that in any "modern" version of Windows, unless you like ad-ware or paying for it. Worthy of mention, Aisle Riot on Linux).

So even though ME and Vista were true "F-ups" you have to admit that everything ELSE showed actual improvements worth having the upgrade for... even XP (they focused on game compatibility, which mostly worked).

What I do not understand is how you could POSSIBLY include Win-10-nic in your iist of NON-failures.

3. Someone Else Silver badge
        Devil

@ AC -- Re: You say that like it's the first time

Hey! Don't badmouth Windows 3.0!

3. Boothy

I'm definitely close to enough is enough.

From everything I've read and seen so far, I have no temptations to even try out Windows 11, let alone switch to it.

I have little choice for work, as it's a company provided and managed system, but for personal use...

I've been evaluating what do I actually run on my personal rig that is genuinely Windows only? It's not actually a lot these days, just a few games that don't have native Linux versions and don't run under Proton.

Most other things either have native Linux versions, work fine under Wine/Proton, or have some Linux equivalent that I could switch to.

I think I'll go dual boot for a while, I've done this in the past with Windows 7 and Linux, so I think I'll probably go down that route again, at least initially, and just keep the Win 10 env as-is for the few Windows only games I have, and have Linux as the primary OS.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Doctor Syntax - Nope!

It still amazes me after all this time how much abuse Microsoft users are willing to take.

1. binary
        Linux

"...abuse Microsoft users are willing to take.

Better them than me...

2. bryces666
        Terminator

Re: @Doctor Syntax - Nope!

"It still amazes me after all this time how much abuse Microsoft users are willing to take."

I think it is called Stockholm syndrome, all held captive and for ransom, starting to identify with their captors.

5. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      Unhappy

You're forgetting the golden rule of purchasing

"No one gets fired for buying m$"

plus they have office in the background (whatever version.... and whether it can read a previous version's files*)

So businesses will carry on buying windows regardless of consumer demand, and the majority of consumers will buy windows because thats all they know and all they are offered

*just had to round trip some old office files via libre office and back to office again... FFS

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> businesses will carry on buying windows regardless of consumer demand

Consumer demand is irrelevant, what counts is the money they have spent in in-house developments which would need to be redone from scratch if they switched to anything else.

Imagine having to redo from scratch the whole fragile and utterly complex back office structure, including changing the servers it runs on, retrain the users, redo connections with suppliers, and so on. Nobody would ever dare suggest it, and the bean counters would definitely never greenlight it, given it's an awful lot of money thrown out of the window(s) just to make a commercially pointless statement.

TL;DR: Once Windows, always Windows, unless you have lot of money to waste.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

true dat , remember the Hamburg experiment!

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Linux

Isn't Hamburg going TO open source, and NOT reverting to Micros~1 products? I just found a 2020 article that says so, and nothing since to say otherwise.

I think it was Munich that flip-flopped on this but they seem to be back in the open source realm now along with Hamburg.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. ThatOne Silver badge

Those are political decisions, and have little to do with productivity or budget. I'd say they are experiments in feasibility if they didn't depend so much on political factors.

I definitely would love for those cities to start/keep using open source software, if only because this would inject some money, and potentially trigger some development projects which else would never happen in the heavily programmer/system administrator-centric land of Linux.

Linux

Imagine having to redo from scratch the whole fragile and utterly complex back office structure

it has been done before (at a significant cost savings, I might add)

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Use cases differ. and I guess making guitar strings isn't the most computer-heavy business out there.

Think airline company, needing not only to manage its own stuff and connect to all the hundreds of branch offices worldwide, but also connect seamlessly to foreign systems on each and every airport, and most likely to some central database(s) of flight regulation. I'm just taking them as an example of a very complex IT infrastructure: No airline would willingly redo its IT infrastructure from scratch unless forced to, it would be absolutely ruinous and very risky.

3. theOtherJT Silver badge

This is exactly the sort of thing...

...that led me to stop using Microsoft products wherever possible. I bought the operating system, Microsoft. I already paid you. Having someone else pay you so you can advertise their shit at me is called "double dipping" and it's bullshit of the highest order.

I don't mind google advertising at me. I don't pay for their services. I get that that's the deal. Windows, however, you expect me to pay for. ...and since I already have a perfectly good operating system that I don't have to pay for, you're on a bit of a hiding to nothing.

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

Re: This is exactly the sort of thing...

> I already have a perfectly good operating system that I don't have to pay for

No worries, I'm sure they still have a legal team somewhere in the bowels of the company working on that "problem".

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I bought leased the operating system, Microsoft.

FTFY.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Enjoy the thumb-ups while you can, telling people they don't own the software is something frowned upon here. Either that or some just don't like me :D

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I don't mind google advertising at me. I don't pay for their services" -> YET.

Google is ratcheting up the subscriptions, as we speak.

4. Someone Else Silver badge

Having someone else pay you so you can advertise their shit at me is called "double dipping" and it's bullshit of the highest order.

I thought it was called racketeering...

5. Rich 2 Silver badge

“ Having someone else pay you so you can advertise their shit at me is called "double dipping" and it's bullshit of the highest order.”

Sky TV have been doing this since they started. One reason why I will never buy into Sky TV.

4. wolfetone Silver badge

They're putting adverts in Windows, and they had the audacity to call Linux a cancer.

5. Paul 87

Killing off their own golden goose

They're actively sabotaging their own core revenue with this.

Enterprise and business customers won't stand for "features" which hamper employee productivity or open security risks and if they get discouraged enough Google is waiting right there to snap them up, and you bet Amazon will be considering ways to run Desktops in the Cloud for business with the appropriate "dumb terminal" approach

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Killing off their own golden goose

I'm sure if enterprise and business customers choose to pay enough extra they can have ad-free options.

This time round.

When they get their forced upgrades to W12 it'll cost more again.

1. J. Cook Silver badge
        Go

Yes, they do pay extra. Rather a LOT extra for Windows 10 enterprise, which also lets you turn off telemetry outside of 'security issues', whatever those are, and also divert them to an on-prem reporting server instead of The Cloud.

Although MS is pushing their Office 264 product as a way of pushing those who are still using Exchange on prem up there as well...

1. The Travelling Dangleberries

"Although MS is pushing their Office 264 product..."

Ah, the uptime is getting worse by the day...

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

You can turn off telemetry yourself, without even adjusting windows settings.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

As so many ordinary users do...

Unhappy

oh yeah, like it's OUR fault for NOT "turning it off" using an external piece of hardware with a hackish configuration on it... because "they" fixed it so you cannot merely edit the windows hosts file. (even THAT is really too much for an end user to HAVE to do to turn this crap OFF)

We should not even have to CONSIDER doing this in the FIRST place... (it's on THAT level of WRONG)

3. Someone Else Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Thumbs up for the "Office 264" reference - - - - - >

6. Tubz Silver badge

many have said it and I'm one of those waiting for Linux to become an alternative gaming platform and can say goodbye to Microsoft, Wine is good but just not good enough for modern gaming support.

Soo.. What do people think is the best Linux distro for gaming at the moment? For me, it would seem the right time to do that, but I have a pretty large Steam collection. I've also been thinking of just switching to console & using a PS5 instead. Sony's browser is rather sucky though, and can't even display a pdf on a PS4.

2. Trigun

Same here. I actually like Windows, but I don't like the push to make your PC not yours. As such, if/when there is a distro of Linux which is high-end gaming friendly then I'll jump ship.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm PC gamer, about two years ago I switched to Fedora at home as I had had enough of Windows. Steam is fantastic as is Lutris, not everything works, but most stuff does. Check protondb for game compatibility information.

7. b0llchit Silver badge
    Alert

Commercial vehicle at a Price per View

So,... they will be paying me to watch the ads then? Every time an ad pops up in the file explorer they will be transferring new and fresh funds into my account. I will be using that explorer, sure thing.

But, they can not have it both ways; pay for the OS and force ads onto the user. They gotta pay the viewer if they want to pilfer ads and the operating system cannot cost anything anymore.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Commercial vehicle at a Price per View

> But, they can not have it both ways; pay for the OS and force ads onto the user.

Who says they will? The Windows Suckerz Insiders program is simply to test that the technology works. The "pay nothing" versus "pay a subscription" for Windows comes later.

2. David 132 Silver badge

>But, they can not have it both ways; pay for the OS and force ads onto the user.

Cable TV and its descendants have, I’m afraid, proved that assertion incorrect. People have shown that they will tolerate advertising in a product they’re paying for, so Microsoft aren’t the first.

Bastards. A pox on the lot of ‘em.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Unhappy

True. There is no limit to human greed...

Pay for a product, get flooded with ads, and get spied upon, it already works for some sectors (smartphones come to mind) and the others are catching up with refreshing enthusiasm.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@b0llchit - Re: Commercial vehicle at a Price per View

No need for that.

Like Google and others, they're being paid to display those ads in your face, irrespective of you watching them or not. If you don't like ads, well that's too bad for you.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: @b0llchit - Commercial vehicle at a Price per View

If you don't like ads, well that's too bad for you.

Or you could just block them at your router/pi-hole. It's not that hard.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
          Devil

> your router/pi-hole. It's not that hard.

Feel free to come by explain it to my old aunt...

What seems simple to geeks working in IT is definitely not simple for the rest, the vast majority of the population. What would you do if told to perform something as "simple" as an appendectomy (to your spouse/child)? Don't tell me you can't do something as simple as an appendectomy!... What, you don't even have a sterile operating room?

1. Evil Scot

Easy.

"Hi Mum,

This Red and white box, that I am about to plug in, will speed up your internet and get rid of adverts on catch-up TV. Give me a few minutes to sort out your WiFi box."

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge

I did that for the wife...

You would not believe the grief I get because she can't click on ads that result from a Google search - it's like scrolling the screen down a bit is a world ending problem! Sadly (for her) the PiHole stays so we don't get ads on the "Smart" TV and various news articles just have gaps rather than pop up video adverts.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

do i want a pi hole?

How effective is this pi hole box?

The ad block detectors on All4 and the Dave channels are pretty hardcore now and just force their ads through them.

I'm assuming this gizmo blocks them in the routing, so its external to the browser / "smart" tv .

I'm surprised a website cant detect that the content started flowing 2 minutes earlier than it should have.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
                  Pint

Re: do i want a pi hole?

By more luck that judgment, I have Firefox set up to block a lot of ads, so when streaming "Endeavour" I get the ad break title card twice & the program usually resumes.

Icon - Morse loves a beer.

2. ThatOne Silver badge
              Facepalm

> Hi Mum,

All right, your mum is saved. Now what about those unlucky few moms who didn't have the chance to sire a computer geek?

Guys, guys, there is a lot of people on this planet, and not all are like you. Is this so difficult to understand? What is simple and obvious for you, isn't a solution for the vast majority of people out there.

Even if they sold already configured plug & play network ad blocker solutions in every supermarket, most people wouldn't use them, simply because they would never dare touch those strange cables behind the cupboard for fear they might break something.

8. karlkarl Silver badge
  9. CommonBloke
    Windows

What's the problem?

Don't you like having ads on top of your operating adware system? Clearly, the targeted ads are failing because you turned off all those tracking services that totally create a better user experience, so turn them on. Also, let big MS brother watch your every move to better serve you better ads.

I wonder how long until they add some sort of subliminal hypno suggestion with "You love ads, you love not owning any software, you love paying for services you don't use or need".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's the problem?

That crap already happend a decade ago, and it was nudges in peoples social media feeds. Apple and the streaming services trying to sell Millennials the idea that it was better to rent everything. We went from rip/mic/burn to 5-25$ month per service back to people owning stacks of vinyl. People can do the math, and long term, count on them looking to their own interests.

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

I think for the first time in years, I saw an ad for something I might want to buy. A tactical hoody! Not sure what's tactical about it, but lots of pockets is handy if I'm out with my camera(s).

Also not sure if that means ad profiling is getting better, or my blocking is getting worse. Here on el Reg, it seems like Ionos is the only advertiser google has because it's the only ad they show. But for me, that's the problem. 99% of the time the ad is irrelevant, and the same ads are shown over and over again. Hardly suprising people turn to ad blockers.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

There are ads on here? I haven't noticed them...

Well, even Vultures need to eat. Oh, Ionos ad. Again.

But it's a bit of an experiment to see just how bad the 'net looks as a typical user. YT is especially painful with Deliveroo ads <2m apart. Obviously that's a demonstration of Alphabet's marketing genius because there's also regular pop-ups wanting me to pay for their 'premium' YT service. It's not a pleasant experience, although I guess it sets a cost or value for ads and ad blocking.

10. a_yank_lurker

What's the right word

A few come to mind: fraud, criminal, creepy. The Rejects of Redmond are below slimey and heading to Fraudbook and Twatter terrioritory for depravity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's the right word

Add Capitalist to your list. It's all about making money, pal.

11. low_resolution_foxxes

On a pedantic level, I am somewhat displeased with the use of the ! symbol.

Unless I am mistaken, the ISO definition of that symbol is:

Title/Meaning/Referent: General warning sign

Function/description: To signify a general warning

Hazard: Risk to people specified by the supplementary sign

Apart from the general hazards expected when using Microsoft software, I don't think that recommending new products is a reasonable use of a caution warning.

You usually see that symbol in user manuals telling idiots to "read the manual", "take reasonable precautions not to electrocute your genitals" or "please do not microwave your animals".

1. Evil Scot
      Joke

Or Maybe not.

But maybe that is me being ansi.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are people surprised this is a possible direction for the free Windows software?

On a side note I just put Debian 11 (non-free) on a laptop given to me and it installed like a dream. I've also got all the software I need on it. After using Linux (mainly server) for over 20 years I have never known such things. A few tweaks to the UI and it may be time to move my desktop.

13. Sparkus

The mistake was enabling the ads

The deliberate decision was to incorporate the code into File Explorer.

I'll bet that code will remain, just waiting for msft to one day 'accidentally' enable it again.

One wonders how invasive that code really is? Does it monitor my computer and file system usage? if it sees me with a large amount of fresh raw photo images, will I be pummeled with ads for Adobe products? Does it notice that I cache local copies of monthly security and bug fix distributions? will it them 'accidentally' turn on the local sharing of msft updates?

Can of worms here........

1. low_resolution_foxxes

Re: The mistake was enabling the ads

"You just searched for a .PDF file. For your security we recommend Adobe Reader - currently at 20% discount at just £3.99 per month!"

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re "The deliberate decision was to incorporate the code into File Explorer."

It may not have been a deliberate decision if the code in question is in a library that explorer uses. It may be that they called some code to do something, and forgot to set a parameter to turn the ad off. I'm not excusing it, just trying to explain a potential reason it is there..

Personally, I don't like the fact there is advertising in Windows. For instance, I went through a phase of seeing a lot of ads for Office 365. I have a subscription through work that, thanks to working from home, I have to use on my PC at home. I don't need to purchase a personal subscription. Don't even *like* the suite.

1. DevOpsTimothyC

It may not have been a deliberate decision if the code in question is in a library that explorer uses.

Even if I accept that someone has made a decision to add the ad-slinging functionality to a core library, or to make one of those core libraries depend on the ad-slinging library. All you've done is shift that decision away by one or two degrees. The issue is that these types of libraries should be opt-in type, not opt-out.

2. ThatOne Silver badge
        Facepalm

> It may be that they called some code to do something, and forgot to set a parameter to turn the ad off.

That's a really desperately attempt to find an excuse... "I accidentally programmed an ad to appear, and accidentally forgot to turn it off, honestly!"...

What really happened is they tried out that new feature (which was foreseeable and thus expected), it created too much ruckus, so they backpedaled for the time being. It will definitely reappear at some point, because that's the way Microsoft goes: Windows owns all this valuable screen real estate, and they won't rest till they monetize it all. People have ads all over their smartphones, so why should their computers be free of them?

Funny...my smartphone doesn't have an ad anywhere. That might be because I don't have it cluttered with a pile of oh-so-k3wl "apps" that think ad-slinging is the road to Valhalla. But that's just me...YMMV.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
            Devil

On the other hand, having a smartphone and not using any apps is an exercise in futility, isn't it...

A $25 old-people dumbphone might serve you better...

14. Adrian 4

Indeed. Why would they need to 'experiment' with something they had no intention of using ?

15. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Mistake my ass

This is a foretaste of 'The Shape of Things to Come' in MS world.

IMHO, this is all leading up to £10.00/month subscription for Windows OR get inundated/deluged with ads.

Get out now people while you can.

You know it makes sense.

16. Mr D Spenser

Got one in Word today

Opened a word doc at work today and it had two yellow the banners. The first was the common warning about being in protected view and that I had to click to enable editing.

That was expected.

The second told me about the lovely Employee Benefit of getting a 30% discount on Microsoft 365 for my personal use!

Still more expensive than LibreOffice.

17. original_rwg

You can't make me.

A few years ago when Windows 10 was first released* I read many stories about the telemetry, the data collection and all the 'phoning home' that it was going to be doing. I decided then I wasn't going to have Windows 10 at home. I don't and I won't. I have to use it at work and while initially, it was quite frugal with resources and responsive to use it has descended into a steaming great pile of sh1t. It's licensed spyware and Micros~1 are doing exactly what Google have been doing for years. Collecting every bit of data they can about you and monetise it any and every way they can** Edge is just Chrome in a cheap frock.

*Released in as much as it was forced on most.

**It's MY tinfoil and if I want to make it into a hat, I will :)

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" "This was an experimental banner that was not intended to be published externally and was turned off.""

Which literally means it will be published later time and it's *turned off* *for now*. Notice term "turned off". Specifially *not* "removed".

I'll bet it's a simple undocumented registry value which turns it on again and that will be done in any forced update MS chooses in the near future.

Because, why not? Can *you* ditch your Windows overboard? Monopoly can do what it wants, literally.

19. herman
    Black Helicopters

Sanctions

MS is trying to find a way to recover the lost revenue due to the Russian boycotts.

20. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Mushroom

Just wait a god damned minute

Microsoft appears to be experimenting with more adverts in Windows 11

MORE ads? There are ALREADY ads in Windows 11?

21. Snar

I hate advertising. I don't expect it baked into an OS that I pay for.

This crap really makes me angry. Get to a point where you have a product that is worthy of buying and then start pan-handling from advertisers and give an option to either get a free version of Windows with ads or paid with no crap baked in.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

"with no crap baked in"

Oh, that'll be the day ... that I die.

2. ThatOne Silver badge
      Unhappy

> either get a free version of Windows with ads or paid with no crap baked in

Nope. What marketing wants to sell you is a paid version with ads. And telemetry.

Now this isn't simple cynicism on my part, it's what already happens in the phone app industry, and Microsoft wants to copy that.

22. stiine Silver badge

That's telling

"This was an experimental banner that was not intended to be published externally and was turned off."

Does this mean that they have to advertse Microsoft applications to their own employees?

23. Altrux

Year of the Linux Desktop

It's now 20 years since I switched to Linux as my sole desktop OS. Brave at the time, an obvious move now. My "Year of the Linux Desktop" was 2002 - when is yours?

Re: Year of the Linux Desktop

Mine was 2017. Just installed Wine 7 (it was actually quite painless, much better than the aborted attempt to get Wine 4 up and running). Now, I'm trying to get the Arturia V Collection installed (or at least, some of it anyway), and if/when that works, I'll happily remove the Win10 partitions that came with the computer.

Once I can be arsed to get up and actually do that, of course...

24. Throgmorton Horatio III

One might wish....

Perhaps we need to boycott the advertisers.

Imagine if everyone decided to NOT buy something because they saw it advertised? The whole house-of-cards business model would crumble and people might actually start paying for the services they use directly instead of through a leeching layer.

About as much chance of that as the incumbent in the Kremlin apologising to Ukraine and compensating all its people, but it doesn't stop you wishing it could happen.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: One might wish....

I'm all for forcing advertisers to pay reparations to their victims

25. simpfeld

Sympathy for Windows users very low

If you like and choose to run Windows, realise that you have no control and no say in it's direction.

Complaining later will be too late.

Live with your computer really being MS's computer.

26. DCdave
    Black Helicopters

Of course it was a mistake...

....they meant to bypass the free Insider tests and push it straight to the free public test phase.

27. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Adverts in my operating system components?

No, thank you. I'll find an alternative to Windows Explorer (which isn't much cop anyway) if they decide to do this.

28. Someone Else Silver badge

Uh-huh...

It was a mistake, vendor tells The Register

Uh-huh...sure it was...yup...what other explanation could there possibly be?

29. Blackjack Silver badge

Considering how much more expensive is to use Windows 11, yeah yet another reason to not use it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like