back to article Viasat, Rosneft hit by cyberattacks as Ukraine war spills online

Signs of Russian cyberattacks on Western-owned digital systems have begun to emerge – even as the German arm of Russian oil company Rosneft said it was breached over the weekend. Germany's BSI – the Federal Office for Information Security, not to be confused with the British Standards Institute – told newspaper Welt am Sonntag …

1. JassMan
    Trollface

As much use as a chocolate teacup

"We know that all impacted customers' modems will be rendered unusable and therefore we need to replace hardware," said a Viasat email to end users

Tha'ts as good as "All faults as and service errors with your internet must be logged on the service page on our website.

How are they going to receive the email if their connection to the internet is down?

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: As much use as a chocolate teacup

"That's why I love VoIP. You don't get people phoning up to complain that the network is down."

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: As much use as a chocolate teacup

"How are they going to receive the email if their connection to the internet is down?"

Using a phone, a neighbor's connection, someone reading it to you from a different place. How would you like them to get the information out? They probably have sent paper mail, but it's not going to arrive before the users have found an alternative way to connect.

2. Notas Badoff

I know it's hard to keep up, ElReg, so I suppose a mention of the Viasat sabotage after 6 days is okay. Though your update doesn't inform nearly enough. That NASA posting is from 2 weeks ago. The other article is very interesting background.

3. stiine Silver badge

Isn't "Shields Up" a service mark or trademark of GRC?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like