back to article Russia labels Meta an 'extremist' organization, bans Instagram

Russia's Investigative Committee, the nation's peak criminal and anti-corruption investigation body, has opened a probe into whether Meta is an extremist organization. The move follows Meta's decision last week to relax rules about exhortations to commit violence posted to its Facebook and Instagram properties – but only …

1. hitmouse

In other news, samovar calls chaynik black.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

About the only thing that Putin

has done right.

If more states ban Fecalbook etc then the world will be better off for it...

[ducks to avoid incoming missiles]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: About the only thing that Putin

Whose missiles, Russia's or Zuckerberg's?

Pretty sure Farcebook aren't literally armed to the teeth with actual munitions, but the mere thought of it has made me come out in a cold sweat.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I hope you're not suggesting they've reversed the NSA link to their network and brute forced the launch codes?

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Pretty sure Farcebook aren't literally armed to the teeth with actual munitions,

Wonder how many of the 1M American covid victims are due to Facebook anti-vax pages

2. Xalran

Use some French

Fesse de Bouc sounds much better than Fecalbook. ( and actually has a relevant meaning )

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

I've been calling them 'FaeceBan' for a while. 'FecallBan' would be equally appropriate

3. TheMeerkat

Banning people from getting information the government don’t want to see. You think it is a good thing?

3. Winkypop Silver badge

Even a mad man lands some punches

Throw enough shit, some has to hit a bullseye.

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

I pity the Russian people

The Russian dictatorship threw off the mask: Stalinism is back. Looking how Putin's minions are terrified when being next to him is a clear demonstration a psychopath is on control in the Kremlin.

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: I pity the Russian people

But the psychopath is only in charge as long as others allow him to be in charge.

There is a whole system in place that makes everybody afraid of everybody. Nobody wants to lose the "privileges" they enjoy. A constant state of "competition" is needed pitting everybody against everybody. That is the cycle you must break.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Good luck finding a wat to do that, unfortunately.

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

But the psychopath is only in charge as long as others allow him to be in charge.

Not really. For this all of the others should ally to remove the Leader/Vodj/Führer...

Look at the three greatest dictators of the 20th century: Hitler, Stalin and Mao Zedong. None was removed before dying. There were enough obedient fanatics ready to exterminate any dissent - starting by exterminating a lot of innocent people just to show what would happen to the ones daring to think differently. When you're frighten for yourself and your family, it's hard to go against the State and start a successful conspiracy grouping everybody, hoping no one will betray the conspirators and having all of them shot.

1. Fred Daggy Silver badge

I think one just needs to be sure of success. The cost of failure is just as you described.

So, you need access. You need materials. You will need to do it yourself. You must not arouse suspicion. You need to be sure - no second chances. You will not survive, but other may.

The best hope would be an ambitious member of the inner security circle. However, be careful what you wish for, they may be just good a dictator.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed. In the space of 15 days the Russian economy has been sent back to 1991. The different between then and now is that the Russian people of the time didn't know what they were missing out on, but they've had 30 years of western goods and technology and all that's been ditched in the space of 3 weeks.

At least Vladimir Hitler has restored one part of his Soviet Dream - the economy.

1. Zolko Silver badge

they've had 30 years of western goods and technology

you might want to verify that: I bet that the piece of technology you're using to write that is actually Chinese. There is an easy check: turn the device over, and if it's written "Made in P.R.C " then the Russian know where to get it by leaving out a level of middlemen.

There is a story about a horse, a wolf and a human, involving a saddle that the human puts on the horse to hunt down the wolf. Didn't turn out well for the horse.

1. localzuk Silver badge

Not quite true. It may be built in China, but it is often built using western IP. If sanctions are in place restricting access to that IP, then China would be risking a lot by breaching those sanction by selling on that IP. Secondary sanctions are very much a thing.

And I doubt China wishes to risk any, as they've just spent decades modernising their country and massively improving their economy.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

And they did it whilst always respecting IP !

2. unimaginative
            Mushroom

Secondary sanctions on China? What would have a huge impact on the west too: we are too reliant on them. They would also be far more supportive of Russia: what if they started supplying Russia with weapons? Can we do without their exports? Look at the worries about supply chains at the moment because one Chinese city is in lockdown. There are other things they could do (invade or blockade Taiwan, for example).

Did you expect Russia to take the economic risk of invading Ukraine? China will be no different

The Chinese government is more interested in staying in power than anything else, and may even welcome confrontation with the west to stoke nationalism. The economy is secondary to that: look at the coninued covid lockdowns because they are unwilling to admit their strategy is not working and Chinese vaccines are not as effective as western ones.

A reminder of what could be at risk

1. localzuk Silver badge

You're not wrong. We are hugely reliant on China.

But, secondary sanctions would be on specific companies rather than the country as such. Eg. Sanctions on, say, Foxconn, rather than China.

2. Tilda Rice

Why on earth have you been downvoted? LOL

Stating that we are super-reliant on China just seems factual to me.

Even simple things like basic building materials would suddenly cripple our economy without China's output.

1. localzuk Silver badge

The downvoting is odd at times.

But realistically, at the moment, "globalisation" has gone a bit too far. Its a great idea, for non-strategic stuff. But for strategic industry? That should not be overseas IMO.

But we're starting to see some sense from governments. New chip fabs being mooted in the EU, for example. They just need to go further and ensure critical tools are not being manufactured entirely by countries that we can't actually call allies.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He's a bully manager, for those that have worked for such will recognise it a mile off.

- He sets his staff against each other to foster distrust and one-upmanship - In-fighting ensures no one ever gets ideas above their station or the manager's.

- He will never take the blame for anything, "I asked you to do X and you screwed it up."

- In a group he's polite but with menace forcing people to speak up in front of the rest of the "team", asking very difficult questions and either watching people flounder or letting them off the hook depending upon his mood that day.

- He will reward those who play the game very generously...until you put a foot wrong then the rewards stop and there will be punishments meted out like working on vile projects no one wants.

- No one is ever rebuked in public, rebukes are done in private, one-to-one where the (mental) "bruises won't show".

- He toes a line so doggedly and insists everyone fall in line, there is no room for independent thought.

- He demands that you give your all but you never do, you always hold back as need something in reserve to save your skin when you're accused for something you didn't do right or did even get involved in but will be blamed for.

- He will never, ever allow you to speak directly to anyone outside the group for anything. All requests much be channedlled through him. You learn there are punishments for those who try to circumvent the status quo.

I speak as someone who tolerated it in a team for several years until a long over due "reckoning" came.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heartbreaking: The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, Clegg is not as bad as Putin.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or Zuckaturd

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

As long as US citizens don't make the mistake of making him US President... otherwise I would not underestimate his imperial craziness too...

6. ducatis'r us

So FaceBook has a right to define who it’s OK to threaten to kill? Slippery slope I think.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@ducatis'r us

"So FaceBook has a right to define who it’s OK to threaten to kill? Slippery slope I think."

The thin end of the wedge was already started. Look at how political it has become already and the 'fact checking' amusement that it would have a clue about the facts.

2. localzuk Silver badge

If it is legal within Ukraine? Sure, its their platform.

3. Plest Silver badge

Facebook is a law unto itself, the only rule it follows is the one that ensures the maximum profit is pumped into Zuck's bank account.

4. Twanky

Two-Facebook.

7. Omnipresent Bronze badge

Classic Putin

Putin disrupted our society through facebook and twit. His main mole inside facebook has moved on to promoting Q conspirators and Putin operatives into Government positions. He has been spotted, and is now labelling them the enemy. CLASSIC PUTIN MOVE.

Why does Putin still have a twitter account?

1. julian.smith
      Big Brother

Re: Classic Putin

Why do "civilised" countries have diplomatic relations with a war crimminal state?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because there are arms to be sold

2. dafe

What is the alternative to diplomacy?

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

What is the alternative to diplomacy?

Aggressive negotiations?

2. codejunky Silver badge

@Omnipresent

"Why does Putin still have a twitter account?"

It is funny that orange man bad had to be banned because the woke disagreed with his views. Thankfully only the right thinking people still have accounts.

1. codejunky Silver badge

There is amusement to making a comment people dont like but dont have an answer to.

8. Albripi

Russia is right

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is kind of true.

When Russia is pacified and Putin replaced, Russia will once again become a functioning member of this world.

However Facebook / Meta will always remain a toxic piece of sh*t.

9. John Savard

Astounding

I'm sure that during World War II, IBM didn't support its products in Nazi Germany. So of course IBM, Microsoft, Oracle and so on shouldn't be supporting their products in Russia during the current Russian assault on Ukraine. Where is the U.S. government, that it hasn't already made this compulsory, using the Trading with the Enemy Act?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Astounding

Not sure if that was meant as sarcasm or not.

There was subtle distinction made between IBM the parent company in America, and IBM's German subsidiary on supplying and supporting the system that was used to process the Jews.

There is an excellent book on the subject "IBM and the holocaust". It's a fascinating read.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Astounding ... and the Perverse Gift that Keeps on Giving ITs Own Poison

I'm sure that during World War II, IBM didn't support its products in Nazi Germany. .... John Savard

Here’s some news suggesting otherwise, John Savard ..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust ..... although like all news, whether old from the past or new for the future, whether it be wholly honest and basically true is always debatable.

10. Ken G Silver badge

The enemy of my enemy isn't always my friend.

If Zuckerberg's yacht gets sunk or impounded or Clegg's put on a no-fly list then I'll try not to laugh. Ukrainians are the only victims, not them.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spin

I was wondering how this could possibly be spun as a bad thing for Russia.

So Fedorov is using Meta to show the world what is happening in the Ukraine, except he doesn't want Russians to see it.

I expect that the EU will be next to ban Meta because Meta can't possibly comply with the EU's privacy laws.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, well, we can all agree Meta/Facebook are evil, but we also know this is just part of Vlad's rewrite of reality within the Russian borders... :(

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think Putin's issue isn't Russophobia, but rather the fact that Facebook's fact checkers won't publish his "views" on the war the way he can shovel them down the unwitting Russian public's throat through state-controlled media. At this point, Putin's paranoia is getting wildly out of control as he lashes out an anyone and anything that dares to tell the truth about the situation.

And it isn't even Facebook telling the truth or feeling the anger; it is the membership, the public of the world's peoples.

In other words: Putin's quarrel is with the whole world.

14. ecofeco Silver badge

Irony

Oh the irony. Too funny.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like