back to article China's top tech city Shenzhen locks down completely for at least a week

The Chinese city of Shenzhen – the nation's tech hub – has gone into a week-long lockdown intended to slow an outbreak of COVID-19, and sent the world's tech-dependent industries into a whirlwind of worry about the impact on supply chains. Shenzhen's local government yesterday announced the lockdown, and ordered the following …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But freedum

It's only a 1000 sick people. Haven't they thought about the global supply chains? I really need my new RGB case lights. The tat must flow ....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But freedum

'round chere the first thing those GOP state governments said was granny should be willing to die so the cold beer can flow.

You were trying to make a joke. I live in such a state.

1. Steve Button Silver badge

"granny should be willing to die" is not the same thing as "granny should be allowed to take her chances if she wants" which is what it looks like the man actually said. (way back in early 2020 when none of us understood very much about this)

"Beijing will simply not permit..." shows the arrogance and hubris of the CCP in thinking that they can hold back the tide. They should learn a lesson in humility from King Canute. You might be able to build up some defences and hold back the tide for a time, but it will always win in the end*

The so called "tat" is the tech that keeps our economy running, and allows us to function as a society. If I can't get a replacement Macbook when I need one, that will impact my ability to deliver essential services.

* Yes, I know the analogy breaks down when we can do geoengineering projects on the scale that they manage in Dubai for instance, but the cost of doing this with Covid, both to society and the economy, is prohibitive. It seems the costs really do outweigh the benefits, when it comes to lockdown even if you simply count the number of lives. Even more so, if you use the NICE calculation and use QALY.

1. teknopaul

I wonder what the vaccine rate is now. In 2020 lockdown was the only option. Spain (good vaccine coverage) had 4 million cases of Omicron and the death rate was way lower than during the lockdown without vaccines.

Time to let individuals decide on their own covid restrictions IMHO. Thankfully, local rozzers have the same opinion.

2. Richard Crossley
          FAIL

> They should learn a lesson in humility from King Canute

No need to look at history, just across the border to Hong Kong where our illustrious leaders are battling to prevent the Omicron version of Covid 19 from taking a hold. From where I sit and have been sitting since Jan 3rd, since we're not allowed to visit restaurants after 6pm or bars, gyms, theatres... it doesn't seem to be working.

Maybe a taste in China will change things, though I doubt it.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Thumb Down

If you like tyrannical shutdowns and mandates, you can move elsewhere, you know...

hasn't the truth about masking and shutdowns universally showed that it was a BAD IDEA to do this in the FIRST place and had NO OVERALL EFFECT except to put people out of work and DISRUPT SOCIETY ???

But then again, we have COMMUNIST China, with their "one top-down tyrannical control fits all" "solution".

Not a surprise. Not at all.

(we should NOT be like them)

1. UdoGoetz

Oligarchy

The close collaboration of NATO Oligarchy (Gates to Bezos) with China surely had a very nasty effect in several dimensions. Time to regain national sovereignty in technology and in matters of health. Spinning the money wheel is not the same as proper public health policy.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Oligarchy

Could you clarify why Gates and Bezos are part of NATO, who the others implied by "to" are and how they are also part of NATO. If they were part of the old "industrial-military complex" I'd understand your thinking. However neither Microsoft nor Amazon can be no more thought of as part of that than they are part of any other industrial complex, anywhere on the globe, that uses their ubiquitous products and services.

1. fg_swe Bronze badge

The US tech oligarchy has a vested interest in cheap Chinese labour, shipping high technology to China (irrespective of the military implications). Also, Mr GATES is a investor-peddler of a dangerous vaccince, which does more bad than good for people younger than 70. For some funny reason the supposedly super deadly virus came from the Chicoms.

The US the de facto head of NATO.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@tg_swe

Quote Also, Mr GATES is a investor-peddler of a dangerous vaccince (sic) unquote.

Please tell, which one is the dangerous vaccine? I would also like a citation concerning your statement that out does more harm than good for people under 70.

Thanking you in advance

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
                  Meh

i was actually hoping that vaccine research for "the virus" would lead to great improvements in medical science... and maybe it has? May not see anything for decades, though. However, the political side of this went off the deep end LONG AGO, from mandates to anti-vax hysteria. It stopped being medicine when politics got involved. And it does not take "rocket surgery" to "follow the money" to see why this happened.

WTF?

(see icon)

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Could you clarify why Gates and Bezos are part of NATO

NATO is also North American Theatre Owners (cinema trade body). I was new to movie effects software when I was told the head of NATO was visiting. I was surprised at the lack of security

2. kat_bg

Can you be more specific? Since when Gates and Bezos are NATO oligarchy? I do have a distinct impression that you don't now what NATO is.

2. Bartholomew
    Meh

eggs->basket!

If you stick all the worlds eggs in one basket, what could possibly go wrong ?

Back when I were a young one, we had backup suppliers, just for contingency.

1. elkster88
      Windows

Re: eggs->basket!

"we had backup suppliers, just for contingency."

One of the very few things that Dr. W. Edwards Deming[1] got wrong, in my opinion, was his strong preference for sole source suppliers. Hard to implement JIT with multiple suppliers, and we've been hearing about the evils of keeping too much inventory/safety stock for many years. But sometimes, systems fall apart.

I would dearly love to hear what he would have to say about the state of our supply chains now.

Here's a video of Dr Deming talking about his famous "red beads" experiment. He doesn't utter his catchphrase, but the video shows his inimitable manner of speaking.

[1] Yesterday, upon seeing that the hotel my wife and I are staying in is located on Deming Way, I involuntarily uttered "off to the Milky Way", which was one of his favorite catchphrases when I attended his 3 day seminar in Washington, DC about 40 years ago.

I wonder what his attitude to backups was.

2. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Here's a video of Dr Deming talking about his famous "red beads" experiment. He doesn't utter his catchphrase, but the video shows his inimitable manner of speaking.

A stroke, from the sound of him.

3. scrubber
    FAIL

5 Year Review

All these countries lauded as performing brilliantly with Covid (civil liberties aside) cannot be judged until the pandemic has gone through its whole life cycle and the impact of public health measures can be felt (missed medical appointments, childhood development, mental health issues, excess deaths and years of life lost etc.) and that is not possible until around 2025. I have my suspicions, but will wait until the dust has settled before asking for prison time for Ferguson, Ardern, Cuomo, Whitty et al.

Re: 5 Year Review

I suppose you also think all the fuss about Y2K was nonsense because in the event nothing went wrong.

1. UdoGoetz

He just does not want to trade freedom against maximum security+oligarch profit.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Two issues with that comparison:

1. The previous commenter is pointing out that, unlike Y2K, we have otherwise fairly similar countries that "locked down right" (NZ, Oz, S. Korea, etc), and those that "botched it" (the usual suspects). Current evidence (that is, hugely increasing case numbers in those first countries) suggests that, in the long run, it may become obvious that all that was done was delay the inevitable. There can be some discussion that those countries bought some time to prepare and vaccinate their citizens, but time will tell.

2. Many many devices (domestic appliances, embedded controllers, etc etc) were not updated for Y2K, and the promised apocalypse did not happen. An interesting parallel to Covid, where we were promised young and old alike dying in the street.

A lot of media whose standard product is a load of bollox produced a load of bollox about Y2K and devices which had no relationship to dates. So what?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

That same media definitely did not do the same thing on the topic of Covid, right?

Thumb Up

You make too much sense. Hence, the downvotes.

Have an UP from ME

3. iron Silver badge

How about we prosecute non-mask wearers, anti-vax activists, COVID deniers and lockdown breakers (including Boris & chums) for attempted manslaughter instead?

Lockdowns and WfH kept my partner safe. Despite her weak immune system neither of us have caught COVID while almost everyone we know has caught it at some point, some of them multiple times.

Maybe you could explain how it was all a hoax to her cousin's children who are now without a father?

1. scrubber

@iron

"How about we prosecute non-mask wearers"

Show me the evidence that masks work in the real world.

"anti-vax activists"

Ask your doctor if this vaccine is right for you.

"COVID deniers"

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend until death your right to say it.

"lockdown breakers"

Show me the evidence that lockdowns have a net benefit and you may have a point. But we need to wait 5 years to see the actual result and that was the point of my post.

"Lockdowns and WfH kept my partner safe."

WFH kept your partner safe, other people being locked down did not.

"explain how it was all a hoax"

Methinks you are putting words in my mouth.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

LOL wut?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54094559

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/trumps-war-on-blue-states-is-worse-than-previously-thought.html

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

Send help

> plenty of people outside China will be hoping Shenzhen gets on top of this outbreak quickly.

Maybe the UK should help out by sending China their secret weapon.

How quickly can Dido Harding be dispatched? it would be interesting to see just how much damage (to the virus - what did you think I meant?) one person can do.

1. You aint sin me, roit
      Trollface

Dispatch Dido?

Can't happen soon enough...

2. fxkeh

Re: Send help

Deploying Dido Hardling is surely a war crime

5. DS999 Silver badge

China has no choice

Their vaccine doesn't protect against omicron at all, so if it starts spreading widely the effect will be far far far worse than a brief lockdown.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: China has no choice

LOL wut?

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: China has no choice

Why are you surprised? Even Pfizer's has little effectiveness without the booster, and many other western vaccines are even worse off.

Omicron's combination of antibody evading mutations and increased virulence make it a challenge for every vaccine. China's vaccine wasn't nearly as good as our mRNA vaccines, but that didn't make much difference until omicron arrived. If that runs wild in China beyond their ability to contain it, millions will die because their health care system will be totally overwhelmed.

6. Clunking Fist

I've a Mecturn

Why don't they hand this stuff out prophylactically?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like