back to article Taiwan rounds up 60 Chinese tech workers on suspicion of poaching tech and people

Taiwan's Ministry of Justice has tasked its Investigation Bureau to conduct a series of raids around the island and hauled in 60 Chinese nationals suspected of lifting trade secrets or poaching talent from China-owned firms. The raids took place on Wednesday March 9, with over 100 investigators dispatched to 14 locations in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Down with foreigners!

We should stop employing those danged foreigners in our local industries. Local jobs for natural citizens. That way you can easily tell whom the bad guys are by the fact that they are foreign.

Down with foreigners! Up with protectionism!

/Sarcasmsarcasmsarcasmsarcasmsa...

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Down with foreigners!

as much as I understand the anger towards "poaching" employees, wouldn't it just be "supply and demand" at work? If you are offered higher salary, how loyal are you expected to be to work for your current employer FOREVER? (or at least tell your employer you received the offer and negotiate a raise or at least expect to have to take the new offer in case they can not afford it...)

Then there's the whole "supporting the CCP" thing that might be a DIS-incentive... (it would be for ME)

(oh and I get the snark, yeah)

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Re: Down with foreigners!

as much as I understand the anger towards "poaching" employees, wouldn't it just be "supply and demand" at work?

If I understand the issue correctly, the issue is more that these employees have knowledge of trade secrets that China wants to acquire and that these employees are not legally allowed to share. Just a SWAG.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lost opportunities

China has many times the population of Taiwan but lacks creative technical talent because they don't encourage people, they control them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn those cunning communists using our free market mechanisms like "pay" against us!

4. Arthur Kater :-D ☺

Missing Engineering Cost

"poaching talent from China-owned firms" should be "poaching talent by China-owned firms"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like