back to article The long-term strategy behind IBM's Red Hat purchase

IBM's senior veep of software reiterated for Wall Street this week that OpenShift is the linchpin of Big Blue's overall multi-cloud strategy. Speaking at Morgan Stanley's Technology, Media and Telecom conference, Tom Rosamilia said the OpenShift container management family, developed by Red Hat that IBM bought in 2019, was key …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"nowadays we have zero of those conversations"

Yeah, especially since AWS and Azure have paved the way for you.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: "nowadays we have zero of those conversations"

If only they had demonstrated running 1000s of copies of Linux on a mainframe in the 90s they could have owned the cloud and owned customers transitioning off mainframes.

But that would have hit OS license maintenance fees that quarter

1. Warm Braw

Re: "nowadays we have zero of those conversations"

There are many things IBM has done wrong over its existence, but I think it's stretching it to blame them for failing to demonstrate in the 1990s running "1000s of copies" of an operating system that was little more than a curiosity when it first emerged at the end of 1991 at a time when only water-cooled IBM mainframes had more than 1GB of memory and the hardware was optimised for I/O throughput rather than heavy compute demands. The Internet consisted of dial-up connections for most of the decade, so any concept of "cloud" computing was somewhat premature.

There was some realisation at IBM of the capacity of the PC to subsume their lower-end products - hence their ultimately-futile effort on OS/2 - but if you're primary focus is on shifting iron, the idea of selling compute as a service is not one which will occur naturally.

Which is probably why the big three cloud vendors aren't hardware manufacturers.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RedHat could have been THE market leader in Linux, but IBM had to take over, so Ubuntu won that spot.

1. Ken G Silver badge

Which market? I know home/desktop is mostly based on Debian/Ubuntu but most servers are RHEL, CentOS, OEL, AMI etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Every server I've worked on for almost the past 10 years has been Ubuntu-based, not RedHat.

1. Korev Silver badge
          Linux

Everyone I know is running Redhat/CentOS etc. Hooray for Anecdata

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I like that term. "Anecdata."

I think it also has to do with the fact that one gravitates towards jobs that use familiar tools one can build on. I, for example, would not take a RedHat Linux environment contract because I have absolutely no familiarity with the environment, as I haven't used RedHat since 5.2 (yes, the 90s.)

The first half of the time after RedHat was pure personal use, and I had multiple machines, so I opted for "pure" Debian boxes, and Ubuntu was a natural follow-on to that when it came time to use what I'd learned commercially.

1. sreynolds

I on the other hand could not care less. Real men don't bother with binary package managers, they just use the source. And a lot of the source has RedHat and Fedora based people working on it.

Who do you think is ultimately responsible for creating (for want of a better word) systemd? Not some upstart ubuntu that's for certain.

1. PriorKnowledge
                Happy

Ubuntu created upstart

The predecessor init system which Red Hat adopted for RHEL 6, creating the demand for the launchd-inspired systemd we all use today. This idea that Red Hat makes the most source is bunk, as you can clearly see how fewer packages comprise RHEL and how many of them are artificially crippled, needing replacements from third party repos. What is true though is that they have consistently contributed the most kernel code (from a single company) year on year for many years, and they do hire a lot of developers of core packages to keep them well-maintained.

However, Ubuntu also has good projects when it comes to server use. ufw is better for general use than firewalld, netplan is far better thought out than NetworkManager, AppArmor (Ubuntu-maintained now) is far better for creating targeted lockdowns of networked daemons than SELinux and their kernel live patching is better implemented. Also, don’t forget about ZFS being Canonical-supported, while Red Hat has practically given up on fancy CoW file systems, dumping btrfs in RHEL 8 in favour of the inferior XFS.

Don’t be too loyal to any one company!

2. chasil

Most Ubuntu users would not put up with an ancient kernel like this:

$ uname -sr

Linux 3.10.0-1160.42.2.el7.x86_64

$ cat /etc/redhat-release

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.9 (Maipo)

You can get a more modern kernel for this platform, but that is very much frowned upon depending upon where it came from and what is done with it.

Another major problem is XFS, which is getting a formal deprecation because of this issue:

# grep xfs.*2038 /var/log/messages | head -1

Mar 7 04:55:30 kernel: xfs filesystem being remounted at / supports timestamps until 2038 (0x7fffffff)

https://lobste.rs/s/1wczzd/when_why_deprecate_filesystems

1. sreynolds

Maybe because it works, and it works well and has worked well since about last century. So nobody wants to plan for unnecessary work where all the unknowns are not known just to have to report to the bean counters that we upgraded to version x.y and we got zip in return.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Most Ubuntu users wouldn't know what the kernel is.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

*What* "home/desktop" market?

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Linux home/desktop environments do exist, but the very nature of Linux means that this is not a 'market'.

2. sreynolds

That tiny segment beside the home gaming market.

3. chasil

Phones run in homes, and might be set on a desktop. Does that count?

Amazon tablets seem to be the market leaders for non-iPad options.

It is a shame that most of the mass-market Linux environments are locked down and running malware.

2. DrXym

I hope for Red Hat's sake that they kept IBM's corporate culture at arm's length. But I bet it's slowly creeping in and smothering them as it does.

3. techfreak

IBM will become RedHat

Red Hat will grow to an increasing share of the IBM business until itself it becomes IBM, and everything else is shut-down or divested.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: IBM will become RedHat

Oh, so "RedBM" ?

1. YetAnotherJoeBlow

You better go to the doctor for that.

2. CAPS LOCK

Bluehat shirley...

2. lockt-in

Mid-2023 IBM pull Red Hats support from LibreOffice. I suspect it is IBM that keep Apache OpenOffice alive due to it having their preferred type of license. What a pain this is, it is a decoy, a product without major updates since 2014. Perhaps they will put effort into Apache OpenOffice if they can make it online nicely, but it is so far behind, I suspect not.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"By rebasing our Cloud Paks on OpenShift, we've now moved all of our middleware to an environment where I can deploy on AWS, I can deploy it on Azure, I can deploy it on the IBM Cloud, and I can deploy it on prem,"

What he means is:

..but put it on IBM cloud. Go on. You know you want to. We'll sweeten the deal a little [inner monologue: until we get you on the hook].

I saw this so many times. Not just cloud - it's just the way IBM operate. I'd be interested to hear how many other readers have seen this recently.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like