back to article Ragnar ransomware gang hit 52 critical US orgs, says FBI

The Ragnar Locker ransomware gang has so far infected at least 52 critical infrastructure organizations in America across sectors including manufacturing, energy, financial services, government, and information technology, according to an FBI alert this week. The Feds said [PDF] they became aware in early 2020 of the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IF we start saving our data in c:\windows\$USERNAME to defeat this, will they change their application and just make it a wiper if it finds we've done this?

1. Clausewitz 4.0
      Devil

Better to just add a Russian keyboard layout to your system.

Most programs will not infect detected Russian computers.

1. druck Silver badge

That might make you a target for other types of malware. Maybe use one of the dozen other European and Asian countries the article neglected to specify.

1. hayzoos

Install the Klingon keyboard layout, nobody with any sense messes with the Klingons.

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Just asking

Could extra-judicial killing be justified to be applied to these bastards? With enough advertisement it would be a good warning to others.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just asking

Well, normally I'd be all-in on this, but killing the only deterrent to an entity is basically a free pass for that same entity to do anything they want. This doesn't make hackers the good guys, but they do serve a function and a lot of people in security would be out of jobs without them.

Who's the real bad guys? Well, the attitude of going on and believing you're indestructible is naive and for better or worse, someone is going to knock you down a peg. While I'm sure there has been times when a blind person MUST drive a vehicle, I'm not sure choosing to do so is ever wise. When in Rome...

3. redpawn

Just do as a coworker

and keep all your files in the handy recycle bin. Never would have thought that was a secure place before.

4. pc-fluesterer.info
    Pint

Windows only, right?

Just asking ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like