back to article Internet backbone provider Lumen quits Russia

Lumen Technologies, the internet backbone provider formerly known as CenturyLink, has quit Russia. The biz's announcement is titled, "Lumen's readiness to meet global events," and does not take a position on the morality of the illegal invasion of Ukraine. Instead, it frames the decision as necessary "due to increased security …

1. sanmigueelbeer
    Mushroom

The Iron Curtain, part deux.

2. ShadowSystems

Hire a few hundred thousand biplanes.

The pilot concentrates on staying aloft & alive as they pass over Russia. Given most prop jobs fly far too slow for a modern jet fighter to acquire target lock before the jet has zoomed past & that even a strafing run might not do much to a plane that's mostly canvas & sticks, the biplane pilot may have more to worry about in the form of most water fowl.

Meanwhile, the copilot/rear passenger keeps carpet bombing the amused/confused citizens below in paper pamphlets that provide all sorts of current information, including pictures, about what's happening in the rest of the world, especially Ukraine.

Sure Russia has enough SAM sites to blot most any jet or helicopter from the sky, but old school, wood framed, canvas panels, physical wire controls, petrol engine barely powerful enough to keep it flying, radar invisible, missiles moving too fast to get a target lock on, World War 2 "Flying Ace versus the Red Baron" style biplanes may prove a better delivery method for news the government doesn't want distributed.

What will the government do to stop it, pull back their troops to stand sentry in the streets & fling rocks at the slow-moving annoyances?

Biplanes, pamphlets, & a desire to thumb the nose at the Kremlin is all we really need to sow chaos in their midsts. =-)p

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Hire a few hundred thousand biplanes.

No need for such an expensive undertaking. I suspect the Russians will listen to Aunty Beeb, VoA and Radio Free Europe on the radio, just as they always have.

1. nagyeger

They might do, but they probably relegated their short-wave radio to the dustbin a decade ago, when auntie and co decided it wasn't worth continuing to broadcast AM to anywhere in eastern Europe.

1. jake Silver badge

RFE/RL still broadcasts to Russia and Belarus in their local languages, so presumably somebody's listening.

1. W.S.Gosset

The Beeb just reactivated 2 shortwave channels which reach Russia.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, but, why use a simple solution when you can completely over engineer one involving a biplane?

1. Paul Kinsler

Biplanes are noisy and inelegant, when compared to a fleet of hot-air balloons, which could glide gracefully and silently across the landscape whilst distributing leaflets... :-)

1. nagyeger

a fleet of hot-air balloons,

Let me guess, 99 of them?

Nena sang a song about that back in '83 (German)/ '84.(English)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
              Thumb Up

<wander off singing> 99 Google-Loons</singing>

As for the biplane idea. That's just silly. There's not that many around and maybe not enough Magnificent Men to fly them up-diddly-up. There are, on the other hand, plenty of micro-lights and powered para-gliders.

1. jake Silver badge

There are (or can be) even more unmanned drones, which are quite a bit cheaper ... and can be maneuvered in whatever number, and whatever pattern, you care to feed into the computer.

2. The Mole

Missile vs hot air

Which raises an interesting question.

Are hot air balloons hot enough for a heat seeking missile to get a lock?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
              Flame

Re: Missile vs hot air

The air inside probably isn't, but the burners should be.

You could of course solve this problem by filling them with hydrogen. Then you only need to worry about the cannon shells - but who knows, they may pass straight through without exploding? Or if you prefer the boring life, there's helium.

1. Norman Nescio Silver badge

Re: Missile vs hot air

Science Direct: Hydrogen explosion: Hydrogen Infrastructure for Energy Applications, 2018: Hydrogen Logistics: Safety and Risks Issues: 2.2.5 Explosion of Hydrogen

The flammability limits of hydrogen in air are very wide, from 4% to 75%, and the detonation limits narrower, from 18.3% to 59% at atmospheric pressure.

So if your lifting gas is more than 75% hydrogen, it won't explode, or even burn as the cannon shell goes through the envelope. It will leak out though, and if it ignites, you need to make sure the envelope isn't flammable, unlike the Hindenburg.

The problem with the leak is that if the local concentration of hydrogen in air around the leak outside the envelope exceeds 4%, that can burn, and if it exceeds 18.3%, it can explode.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

My father fought in the infantry at Monte Cassino. I still have a couple of samples of propaganda dropped on the soldiers as they painstakingly headed to the monastery. One is a glorious pictorial map showing Brescia, Cremona, Mantova, Verona, Padova, Rovigo, Modena, Ferrara, with drawings of a fisherman, musical instruments and landmarks, accompanied by an attractive smiling woman carrying an abundant tray of fruit. The title is "The Po is waiting for you". On the rear in stark contrast is a monochrome drawing of a clothed skeleton holding soldier's helmets, and explosions with soldiers flung in the air.

Edit: Found a link... http://stampomania.blogspot.com/2010/05/po-is-waiting-for-you-german-propaganda.html

The other contains the following text on one side:-

[Blue] "The advance of strong Allied Forces on Berlin has begun!" (The B.B.C. on the evening of Salerno)

[Red] No mention was made of the enormous casualties sustained by the Allied Troops already during the course of their landing at Salerno.

[Blue] After 8 months of murderous fighting the Allies have got as far as Cassino - altogether 123 kilometres from their starting point!

[Red] And the price? About 1000 casualties for each kilometre!

[Blue] The bee line to Northern Italy is still more than 6 times 123 kilometres. That means a further advance of more than 6 times 8 months!

Probable arrival in Northern Italy about April 1948

[Red] And the price? Further 700 000 men lost as dead or wounded!

[Blue] And thence to Berlin there are still more than 5 times 123 kilometres to be covered. That means a further advance of 5 times 8 months!

Probable arrival in Berlin in or about 1952

[Red] And the price? Another 600 000 men dead, wounded or taken prisoners!

[Blue] That means another 7 long years of bloodshed!

[Red] And that means that you will never live to see it!

[Blue] Note by the Allied Headquarters:

This timetable is given without any guarantee. As the Germans have under-mined practically all lines of communication, much longer periods might possible have to be taken into account. Whether an advance from Northern Italy to Berlin will be possible at all, depends entirely upon the fact whether or not the Germans are going to give up their excellently fortified positions in the Alps without fighting. No agreement could be reached as yet on the subject.

On the rear in black is a drawing of a skeleton holding a pair of compasses opened out on a map of Italy, one leg on Salerno (Sept 1943), The other is on Cassino (May 1944) with the 123km distance marked. From there is a line towards Berlin with lines radiating out showing dates Dec 1944, Aug 1945, etc. The destination is shown as To Berlin another 650km arrival about 1952. The title on this side says "Speaking of time-tables".

https://twitter.com/ipngovpl_eng/status/1259812154695442432

ISTR having another depicting the troops British fighting their way up Italy. The other side shows drawings of Americans enjoying themselves, drinking at parties with women. Caption was something like "so much for the American support you are getting".

The power of dropped progaganda was undeniable in trying to demoralise the participants, but strict discipline kept the focus - I believe that even picking up such leaflets was considered grounds for disciplinary action.

And the poor troops suffered from propaganda in another way. They became a bit of a forgotten army. Progress was slow because Italy has so much good defensive terrain, and the Germans were well led (by Kesselring). Plus allies had to get their own shit sorted out, blood fresh troops (and commanders) and then move some of those experienced units back to England to be used in D Day. So there were a lot of periods of basically WWI style trench fighting - meaning casualties were high and progress was limited. But it was necessary, because we didn't have the landing craft in 1943 to put enough troops into France to guarantee success (or enough blooded troops and officers) - I think the 1943 D-Day plan could only do 3 invasion beaches, not 5. Meanwhile the Italian front tied down another 20-30 good quality German divisions that would have made D-Day a much closer-run thing, and attrited the German forces to help both the Russians and make D-Day less of a hideous gamble.

Allied news was much more accurate than the Germans, but still didn't dwell on all the downsides above. And so not only did the guys who fought in Italy not get the glory, but some imbeciles even came up with the phrase "D-Day Dodgers" - despite the fact that fighting conditions in Italy were generally worse than in North Western Europe. Except for in the bocages, in the first 6 weeks after D-Day - which was bloody awful terrain to have to attack into.

3. Danny 14

I can assure you that even small prop planes can be targeted by modern fighter aircraft. Quite a few smaller countries operate prop craft as fighters.

If you are talking about canvas biplanes then why waste a jet when a .50 will do?

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

Russia IS actually using ancient biplanes! 1947-era AN-2 Colt cropdusters

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44532/russia-appears-to-be-preparing-its-ancient-an-2-biplanes-for-war-in-ukraine

1. jake Silver badge

In our ever-so-politically-correct hell of a modern world the phrase "Crop Duster" is considered derogatory. Instead we are supposed to use the term "Aerial Applicator".

Note that most of the guys and gals I know who do it for a living say "Fuck that. We're crop dusters.", so I don't have a clue who is making this decision.

5. druck Silver badge

A modern jet doesn't need to use any weaponry to bring down a biplane, just do a close pass at a high speed, and it will disintegrate in the wake.

6. Old Used Programmer

I think you mean WW1. The only biplanes in use in WW2 (that I know of) were the Fairey Swordfish (famed for its part in sinking the Bismark) and some Italian biplane fighters, with a top speed about 250MPH. Apparently Hurricane and Spitfire pilots were a bit embarrassed to admit when they shot one down. (Though at that, they were faster than Ju-87 Stukas, which flew about about 190MPH.)

1. jake Silver badge

There were plenty of biplanes of all makes and models used in WWII ... as trainers.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Gloucester Gladiator

Plus many others such as the Fairey Albacore and the Polikarpov I-153.

1. Potty Professor
          Headmaster

Gloster Gladiator. (Although it was built at Hucclecote, a suburb or Gloucester)

1. Colin Bull 1
            Angel

But the Hugglecote Gladiator would not have the same ring to it !

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: But the Hugglecote Gladiator would not have the same ring to it !

Mind you, Fairey Albacore doesn't sound particularly intimidating.

3. llaryllama

They're not sanctions, they're special economic actions.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Oh god, please let some politician say this when answering a media question about Sanctions. Preferably when their is a Russian media spokesman in the room.

Someone do it at the UN, please!!! :D

2. b0llchit Silver badge
      Coat

Wouldn't "planned economic adjustments"(*) seem even more harmless?

(*) We'll also fire the lot. Time to increase the bonuses too. But this we do in small-print.

3. billdehaan

The goal is to return Russia's economy to its' 1989 borders.

Given the huge lineups in front of stores and the pictures of empty store shelves, I'd say it's being quite successful at that.

4. W.S.Gosset

"Those are rather different reasons to those expressed by fellow backbone provider Cogent"

Cogent expressed itself more cogently.

In related news, Weasel Corp said nothing, albeit it took them 7 pages to do so.

Happy

Re: "Those are rather different reasons to those expressed by fellow backbone provider Cogent"

Ah, but as the saying goes, "Eagles may soar. But weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

1. jake Silver badge

Re: "Those are rather different reasons to those expressed by fellow backbone provider Cogent"

There have been rabbits sucked into jet engines at takeoff. I would imagine weasels, if in a similar place at a similar time, would suffer the same fate.

Coat

jake,

That is stoatily irrelevant…

1. Norman Nescio Silver badge

I hate to badger you guys, but I think I otter put an inadequately aired lid* on this punfest before you ferret out some more awful examples.

*A musty lid.

5. Falmari Silver badge

Don't Mention the War

"Russia has already introduced new legislation that makes mentioning the invasion in the media an offense – only the false term "special military action" is allowed"

So another Basil moment "Don't Mention the War". https://youtu.be/RyPj21jBl_0

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Don't Mention the War

AYBS's "German Week" was broadcast half a year earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezAfRcLwpdM

2. Norman Nescio Silver badge

Re: Don't Mention the War

I'm mildly surprised that the Russians did not call it a Police Action. There's a long history of using that term, not just the Vietnam war, and it wasn't the USA that coined it.

I guess 'special military action' will be added to the vocabulary of obfuscation.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...taking other steps for exiting the business in region."

So they already left Russia, and intend leave Ukraine, Moldova, and Poland shortly thereafter? I guess we know how Lumen's management feels about the likelihood Russian expansion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like