back to article Alphabet still can't kill off Google+ insecurity lawsuit

On Monday the US Supreme Court turned down Alphabet's request to hear it argue for the dismissal of a shareholder lawsuit that claimed Google quietly covered up a security issue that could have exposed almost 500,000 Google+ accounts. A lawsuit filed in 2018 accused the search giant of deceiving investors by failing to …

1. ShadowSystems

I'll call them a Waaambulance.

I'll play the world's smallest violin in a sorrowful dirge while I cry giant anime arcs of sparkly rainbow crocodile tears to mourn their plight.

And then I'll throw a fekkin' party so I can dance on their skulls & laugh my gloriously shiny heiny off.

Dear Google. Boo Fuckin' Hoo. Signed, The Human Race.

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: I'll call them a Waaambulance.

There are a group of people much more despised than Google/Alphabet corporate. They're called 'lawyers'. There's money to be made over that hypothetical tort.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

While I absolutely despise the "shareholders uber alles" attitude, this does show why you don't piss 'em off.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

They own the company. They're suing it. They're suing themselves. They'll just get their own money back less what they paid the lawyers. They'll be paying both sides' lawyers even if costs aren't awarded.

2. John Riddoch

Just like the Activision/Blizzard lawsuits....

not being sued because of doing anything wrong, being sued because they didn't tell the people with money (the investors) to warn them they might lose some money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just like the Activision/Blizzard lawsuits....

.. which is correct, because it means they covered up a risk which could (and would eventually) materially affect the share price. The rules also apply to Google.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Don't forget : this lawsuit will not benefit Joe Public

The 500K people who's profiles were at risk get nothing from this.

It's just a circle jerk between Alphabet, its shareholders and the lawyers.

So, the only people benefitting from this in any way are the lawyers.

Again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't forget : this lawsuit will not benefit Joe Public

The 500K people whose profiles were at risk get nothing from this.

Not directly, no, but it does put other companies on notice that keeping their mouth shut about problems can become painful. So, I see an indirect benefit here, not monetary but in risk reduction.

The only thing that needs fixing now is the volume discount the big boys get. I really don't see a valid argument for fining a big setup like Equifax less per disclosed person than the average small shop. They have the money to do it right, and a commensorately more grave responsibility to do so, so risking the whole company by saving on what has to be done properly should IMHO never be rewarded with a fine discount. That merely leads to "good enouggh to escape large fines" spending instead of doing it right, and we've had enough demonstrations by banks that "good enough" rarely is from a customer's perspective.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Re: Don't forget : this lawsuit will not benefit Joe Public

Bollocks will it. Every filing from every company will just include some standard "there might be vulnerabilities in progress" statement for the rest of time

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

...email addresses, genders, and ages...

Well, if I ever get a weird mail addressed to Her Royal Zargness TeeCee the grapefruit and asking for my mummy's address, I'll know who to blame.

5. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

use a disposable sim to sign up and don't give your real name or dob - it's mental how many people give away real details when signing up to data slurping peddlers of one's privacy like google and facefsck

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like