back to article Tonga's submarine cable reconnects to the world

The Kingdom of Tonga's sole submarine cable connection to the world has been restored. The Polynesian nation's wired link to the internet was severed by the January 2022 volcanic eruption that NASA rates as having "obliterated" an island, and caused the largest volcanic plume ever recorded. The eruption also damaged cables …

1. thejoelr

Expensive.

I new link to diversify from Fiji would be expensive for Tonga. I know a lot of these smaller island nations get their connections at a huge discount as good will. Internal fiber links work, but so does point to point radio at that range. It is often used here, and you rarely notice it.

2. Scott Broukell

Right then, what they ought to do now is use the cable to tow the island away from the bloomin' volcano and to an area of relative safety!

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Trollface

That's one of the breixt opportunities Rees-Mogg is looking at. Now we've left Europe we could move the whole country somewhere sunny.

Imagine how pleased Jamaica would be, if we parked Britain right next to them in the Caribbean...

1. James O'Shea

Jamaica would be happy to take Missus Queen. The rest of Blighty, especially including Boris the Clown, can go to hell.

1. James O'Shea

I didn't realise that Boris was an El Reg reader.

3. FuzzyTheBear
    Unhappy

The Future events ?

We certainly don't hoipe more volcanoes in the area will explode in such a fashion. That was a catastrophe that's once in a millenia.

4. Steve Aubrey
    Joke

"tenuously related news"

You're just stringing us along, aren't you?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like