back to article Akamai's Linode buy: Good for enterprise, risky for others

The one thing AWS can't offer is not being AWS. Google and Microsoft can, but then you're stuck with Google and Microsoft. Each of these cloud infrastructure options – AWS, GCP and Azure – are big, centralised components of bigger organisations with other things on their minds, and a deep aversion to sharing customers. Akamai …

1. Robert Grant

I think this is a good thing. I struggle to see how the outcome could be better joined up than something like Cloudflare, which is all built off the same base, but perhaps they'll do a really good job of it.

2. pmb00cs

Bang on!

At work I work with Akamai. I can't say too much about their services, or how my employer uses them. But I am impressed with their products and services professionally. Outside of work I use Linode, and am very happy with the price, and service that I get. This article hits the nail on the head when it comes to how I personally feel about this acquisition.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Migration started

I've already begun migrating stuff I had on linode off.

1. G40

Re: Migration started

Sure, but to which provider/platform?

1. keithpeter Silver badge
        Windows

Same question but is there a UK based provider of £5 a month noddy virtual servers?

2. sreynolds

Really? Typical linode customer would have their shit run on AWS or GCP at the click of a few buttons.

I noticed that the share price actually didn't fluctuate one bit around the "migration" was announced.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Those who factor in the fact that a given cloud provider isn't AWS or GCP (or perhaps Microsoft as well) as a major selling point might be less than impressed.

I know Akamai isn't AWS, GCP or Microsoft owned, but they might have preferred to go for an independent.

4. nicc777

My gut says this is bad...

Can't put my finger on it, but my first reaction was one of shock.

I love Linode.

I guess my fear is that the big fat corporate will mess with a perfectly working and well oiled engine.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bloody butterfly guts. How the hell did that get on my wheel?

6. wolfetone Silver badge

Why couldn't Akamai just buy Digital Ocean?

I couldn't care less about DO, but Linode? Ah man. I genuinely hope it does turn to shite.

7. Number6

Another Linode customer here, wondering how long it will be for the basic offerings to be ruined by excessive prices for bundling services I don't need. The purpose of a Linux machine in the cloud is that it is set up to do exactly what I want. I can install what I need, all I need from the hosting provider is a reliable platform on which to run the code of my choice and a way to access it (the ssh console is nice) if I screw up.

I really hope that Akami is sensible enough to leave the basic Linode offerings alone. The price/performance is ideal for those of us who are not making money from what we have in the cloud, and so don't have much of a budget to pay for increases in cost.

8. ayay

I hope I don't get burned by saying this, huh? Got it? Got it?

Well, there's OVH.

It's no Linode, but neither is Linode.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like