back to article Google expands Privacy Sandbox to Android

Google plans to extend its rework of web ad technology – the optimistically named Privacy Sandbox – to Android devices in an effort to limit the misuse of data in its mobile ecosystem. In a blog post on Wednesday, Anthony Chavez, VP of product management for Android security and privacy, described the initiative as a multiyear …

1. haiku

According to Ars

To quote from an article headed "Android’s toothless “Privacy Sandbox” fails to answer iOS tracking limits" in this morning's Ars Technica:

"Android "Privacy Sandbox" is optional for advertisers, and that misses the point"

As is well known, if it's optional it don't count.

Note to Reg's editors: hit the coffee a little earlier guys & gals :)

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Stop

"the Privacy Sandbox aims to provide web advertisers"

Stop right there, say no more.

I see no privacy in that sandbox.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: "the Privacy Sandbox aims to provide web advertisers"

Why should you.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All your Ad Revenue streams

are belong to Google.

4. pavel.petrman

Google's track record

Given Google's track record, one has to read it like Google is making it harder for competing advertisers to slurp from users snugly locked inside Google's own walled garden.

It could actually be a good thing, if only there were a way how to extricate oneself from Google's tentacles and acceptable forward security of private data, both of which are, sadly, not yet there.

Or to put it differently: I, for one, don't really dislike like the all-in approach (sold by both Google and Apple) wherein the service provider guarantees everything but it's own integrity (regarding misuse of personal data). What I do dislike is the huuuge overspill of Google outside of its user base, bordering on anavoidability of supplying Google with one's own personal data - on the far end. From a BFU perspective, there is simply no avoiding Google on the Internet. The recent 100€ fine in Germany may be a sign of better days, but I doubt it.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Google's track record

... if only there were a way how to extricate oneself from Google's tentacles and acceptable forward security of private data...

If only? It takes effort and therein lies the rub. Google makes it easy to access a lot of important services all in one go. Any direct competitors to Google do pretty much the same thing with users' data and any secure, user-oriented services that cover any of Google's suite are very focused on just one or two areas. Few folks are willing to make the effort to secure their digital lives or to go through the hassle of shopping around, but it is possible with effort to avoid Google's trap.

5. fuzzie

"limit sharing of user data with third parties"

And Google, since it's their platform, is a first party here?

Are they just doing the same as they're doing for Chrome, killing off competing advertisers' data streams and keeping it all to themselves?

1. Chris G

Re: "limit sharing of user data with third parties"

Yeah! Limiting your data to only those who will pay for it.

Trusting Google (or FB/meta etc) with your data

Is like trusting your children to be looked after in a kindergarden run by Hannibal Lector

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: "limit sharing of user data with third parties"

"Are they just doing the same as they're doing for Chrome, killing off competing advertisers' data streams and keeping it all to themselves?"

Absolutely not! Oh they're definitely doing that, but they're certainly not just doing that. They also get the benefits of a completely new blob of code that nobody knows about. That means that people who try to use Android with Google software on it won't be able to evade their tracking as well as they could and those that try to reimplement Google behavior will have to start over on some bits. That code also hasn't been reviewed by privacy organizations, meaning they can put a delay on privacy action by claiming that their new code respects the users and follows the law (we all know it doesn't). There are probably more evil plans with it as well.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whilst I like Android for some things..

... for privacy, it is rather poor.

Heaps of apps will ignore the "advertising ID" and simply request privileges to access call information, and from that, fetch phone number / phone serial.

As long as apps can ask for that privilege, and not function without it, what they do to advertising specific features won't mean diddly squat.

1. iron Silver badge

Re: Whilst I like Android for some things..

If an app that is not a dialer requests access to your call info you decline.

If that stops the app from working you uninstall it.

If you actaully needed the functionality you look for another app that does the same thing but without raping your privacy.

It is really is very simple.

None of the apps on my phone have all the permissions they requested and apart from the occasional grumble they all work fine. Admitedly it probably helps that I don't use any apps from Facebook and as few as possible from Google.

1. MarkCX

Re: Whilst I like Android for some things..

99% of users either don’t understand or don’t care, and will hit accept to anything to get the app they want.

7. Christopher Reeve's Horse

Go on, say it...

Google's plan also puts disreputable ad tech firms on notice.

You mean Facebook don't you?

1. RyokuMas
      Paris Hilton

Re: Go on, say it...

Can you put yourself on notice?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Go on, say it...

Well, they manage to be up their own rectal cavity, so that should not be an issue.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What I suspect Google uses "privacy" for

I think what will happen is that certain "preferred" suppliers (aka customers that are willing to pay a lot more) will still see the data.

There's no way that Google is going to cut into its own revenue so the only way I can see them monetising this is if the restriction is in reality a smokescreen.

9. Overflowing Stack

Do a little bit of evil

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like