back to article Tax inspectors raid Huawei offices

The Indian Government's Income Tax Department has raided the local offices of Chinese telecoms giant Huawei as part of an investigation into whether or not the controversial company has met its local taxation obligations. Huawei's Indian outpost has acknowledged the visit from tax authorities and verified Indian media reports …

1. ShadowSystems

They owe money?

No Huawei!

*Runs away before someone kicks my arse*

2. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

"It also asserted that it does its very best to comply with Indian laws."

I tried really, really, really hard to comply with the laws, but you know they were getting in the way of my profits, and well we didnt think anyone would actually be paying that much attention. We're really, really sorry! We'll try our very, very, very best to comply with the laws next time....

"China's Gao said the Ministry he represents hopes India will improve its business environment and treat all foreign investors – including Chinese companies – in a fair, open, and non-discriminatory manner."

That Gao could say that with a straight face is truly incredible. I really think it's gotten to the point, where nations need to start implementing reciprocal standards in trade. China doesnt allow western firms to invest in chinese firms, then chinese firms are no longer allowed to invest in the west. China forces western firms to form joint ventures to sell in their markets, boom chinese firms wanting to sell in the west have to form joint ventures with western firms. It seems like a no-brainer at the moment, especially when Chinese ministry figures can make such comments and appear to mean them!

1. dafe

So far, Huawei is only being investigated for tax fraud. That doesn't mean they actually committed tax fraud. India has a huge problem with tax dodgers in general, most of whom are Indian, so they may as well investigate the Chinese as well, why not.

Excluding Huawei from the 5G rollout does seem discriminatory to me.

Your idea of reciprocal business practices seems like a recipe for war. It seems fair and everything, but only if you ignore that not all macro-economies are equal. The West already doesn't allow investment in China, which is quite alright with China. Now imagine Jack Ma being forced to buy Amazon because if reciprocity.

3. fxkeh

"Perhaps Gao didn't read The Register's February 14th story about Foxconn ..."

Perhaps Simon Sharwood doesn't know Foxconn is Taiwanese, so outside of the control of Gao Feng's China's Ministry of Commerce (for now, at least).

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: "Perhaps Gao didn't read The Register's February 14th story about Foxconn ..."

"our coverage of Chinese company Wistron investing in India"

Wistron is also from Taiwan... R.O.C., not P.R.C.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: "Perhaps Gao didn't read The Register's February 14th story about Foxconn ..."

"outside of the control of Gao Feng's China's Ministry of Commerce (for now, at least)."

Forever, we hope.

3. Mark Exclamation

I think you need to re-interpret Simon's writing.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well if it worked against Al Capone...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"fair, open, and non-discriminatory"

Those are certainly attributes one associates with the behaviour of China's Communist Party, so there's no reason others wouldn't treat Chinese corporations the same way abroad.

Orwell was right: people use words for their self-serving connotation so often they can't even themselves recall the true meanings.

6. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

I'm glad to see this

It's about time that the world starts treating China like the poaching, slave driving thieves they are. But, government intervention can't be the only tool. People need to start rejecting Chinese trash products. When your neighbor's job goes to China, your neighbor stops buying your company's products. And when you decide what to buy soley on price, and buy Chinese, you support slavery. Are you pro-Muslim? A great many of those slaves are Uighur Muslims. A great many more are children.

China is a blight on the world, and the only way to cure the blight is to stop supporting it.

7. Mark Exclamation

Chinese government: "Do as we say, not as we do." and: "When we say we're doing something, we're actually not, but it makes us sound good.".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like