back to article Taiwan cracks down on China spying on tech firms

Taiwan's Parliament, the Executive Yuan, yesterday revealed draft amendments to national security laws aimed at deterring and punishing Chinese economic espionage efforts directed at stealing tech industry secrets. Premier Su Tseng-chang said Taiwanese authorities have observed Chinese interests infiltrating local operations …

1. ShadowSystems

How to stop industrial espionage...

Every time you catch someone suspected of engaging in IE, stick them in a sealed room with BoJo, Trump, Beezos, Zuckerberg, Musk, & all the other high value, low morals, intergalactic ego, dumber than drool bastards of the world.

Tell the IE suspect they must convince the aforementioned group to decide which of said group is the best.

There will never be any survivors which is why you don't want any doors, windows, or vents, just the drain hole in the ceiling through which you drop the suspect & lower the video camera...

I'd considered making them all listen to Vogon poetry, but I was afraid that Trump might start electing the Vogon for best.

*Shudders*

*Inserts a giant, 99 point, bold, italicized, underlined, blinking, scrolling marquis sarcasm tag*

1. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

Re: How to stop industrial espionage...

I found that quite amusing, and can only assume that the China is Assho bots are responsible for the downvotes. :)

I'd take that as a badge of honour myself.

2. spold Silver badge

Really, unfortunately, when it comes to Taiwan the national anthem should be changed to "we"re doomed, we are all doomed" written by Private Frazer, You think Russia vs. Ukraine is bad wait for China vs. Taiwan. Actually, it might be good timing for China while everyone is distracted or otherwise busy. A bit sad.... Expect cyber-attacks soon such as we have seen in Ukraine.

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Taiwan has several advantages over Ukraine. First, it's an island and there's a sea between them and China, that makes invasion and logistics more complicated. Next, they are prepared for decades for an invasion, and are well prepared.

But you're right, the threat is real and the Damocles sword is over their heads.

That would probably trigger a massive crisis, but for them the beginning of a solution could be to declare that they aren't the Chinese Republic anymore but an independent country, separated from the continent. If they adhere at the same time to an alliance with a country with nuclear weapons that can guarantee their sovereignty, that could make them safe for a while, if the crisis doesn't degenerate in a full-scale war.

1. Xalran

There's also a huge difference :

USA and Europe will not move for Ukraine beyond making sure Russia stops before entering NATO territory ( and selling as many weapons to Ukraine as possible in the meantime)

USA and Europe will definitely move for Taiwan as the economic, industrial and technological impact would be too important. ( and I'm not even taking into account the historical fact that Taiwan was the UN Council permanent member for China until mainland China threw a tantrum ( backed by nukes ) in the early 1970s. Or the political impact doing nothing for Taiwan would have )

Anyway, I don't think China is really interested in Taiwan ( beside the Industrial Espionage it cna get from there ), China is more interested with any territory north... and the oil that hides in South China Sea.

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

You had me until the bit about "I don't think China is really interested in Taiwan". China is interested in anything that isn't nailed down and quite a bit that is. Not that they are unique in this. Just saying.

2. martinusher Silver badge

> If they adhere at the same time to an alliance with a country with nuclear weapons that can guarantee their sovereignty, that could make them safe for a while, i

The logical alliance would be with China, then. China and Taiwan share a common history, language and culture. Tiawan -- or Formosa as it used to be known as -- was just the island the rump ROC government retreated to after the Chinese revolution in 1949. Its only separate because we militarized it as part of our (US) ongoing effort to 'contain' China. This is what is driving the gulf between the two countries -- until the heat was turned up a few years ago by the US the island and the mainland had lots of commerce and business ties.

...and TSMC is going to get overtaken eventually. Its one of the disadvantages of being on top -- you're the guy who everyone is gunning for. The smart move would have let business take its course but now we've chosen the adversarial route the only solution is for China to gain the same capability.

2. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

Hmm, i get a little of Baldric's poem. 'The Guns' coming through there...

3. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

I really think its time the west needs to start standing with Taiwan against China. You know, maybe reward the Democratic friendly nation instead of the unfriendly dictatorship.

China has already broken all the rules with it's trade sanctions against Australia and Lithuania. If Australia, the EU, and the US all turned around and let Taiwan open embassies under the name Taiwan in their countries, what can China do? If they start going ballistic with trade sanctions, then production will move quickly to other nations such as in South East Asia. Hell that exodus is already underway. And China needs those trade deals more then the rest of the world needs them. There would be short term pain for the West, but moving production out of an Autocracy that has shown its not a good world citizen can only be a bonus in the long run.

And without all that trade, China's economy will tank, and when the pact between the CCP and the Chinese People - that the CCP will bring continuous growth in exchange for the people giving up their freedoms - is broken, the Chinese People wont sit back in complete silence.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

That really is a nice idea and I subscribe to it wholeheartedly, but look around. If we did that to China, in the short term we'd have next to nothing left to buy.

And I don't see much in term of European or American industry gearing up to replace Chinese sweatshops, especially in the luxury market.

It just won't happen.

It should, but it won't.

4. _LC_
    Holmes

Taiwan is the typical US cesspool

Taiwan is the typical US cesspool with slave labor, utter destruction of nature and all. Much of which is then often attributed to China.

1. BoJoTango

Re: Taiwan is the typical US cesspool

What a sound statement! Let me try.

Your post is the typical internet cesspool! Slave writers, utter nonsense about nothing and all. Much of which is then attributed to China.

2. Xalran
      Devil

sure sure...

Can you give us links ?

In the meantime we will google Mainland China Slave labor ( Uigours [sp?]anybody ? ) and destruction of nature ( well known smogs over many Chinese cities... to the point that CCP forced factories to close during both Summer and Winter Olympics so that the world could see how nice Mainland China is )

( I'm too lazy to dig out links about that, but they are out there... while I'm not dubious the Taiwan ones exists )

1. llaryllama

For sure you can find unpleasant articles about things happening in Taiwan, that's the great part about living in a free, open democracy. Plenty of government funded organizations and NGOs studying and publishing societal issues so we can learn from them and improve: https://data.gov.tw/en

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, yes, the Americans were famous for slave labour 200 years ago or so, but the Chines are enslaving the Ulghurs today. Big difference.

4. llaryllama

I grew up in central Taiwan and this is total nonsense.

We have universal healthcare, extremely high quality of life, very low cost of living, way more political and social freedom than almost all of the free world and a diverse, thriving democracy. I work in industrial manufacturing and the Taiwan EPA is now very strict about emissions, noise, water quality etc.

How and why would "slave labor" or "destruction of labor" be attributed to China anyway?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FREEZE IT !

Both Ukraine and Taiwan have become flashpoints, because some idiotic idealists want to score points or expand their empire.

We now have nuclear-armed bombers in the air patrolling these areas, from several nations. Even Geschwader 33 is now gearing up for war.

Leaders openly speak of armageddon and how they will meet god, while the other guy will go to satan.

At the same time, we feed the fires through extensive trade, including advanced technology.

These flashpoints must be cooled down by measured reduction in high tech trade and by stopping the idealists.

In Detail:

+ Ukraine must remain neutral, officially and in practice. No EU membership, no NATO, no hidden US bases

+ Taiwan will officially continue to be part of China and there will be no separation, no embassies.

+ High tech trade to Russia and China must be scaled down, as we do not want to supply the components for advanced weapons to be pointed at us the day after tomorrow.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Immediate Measures

Also, we must take a page from their playbooks and simply stop airline travel for a few days, then allow it again. Depending on the amount of hostility of the other side.

Stop trade for a few days, too.

Then open up as soon as the other side becomes nice again.

Just displaying nuclear bombers is both frightening and ineffective.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FREEZE IT !

No, we don't need to accede to the demands of failed states like Russia just because they have nukes. Other people have nukes, too. If they psychos want to end the world, they will, with or without anyone elses' approval or opinion considered.

How I despise the "policy of appeasement" wonks. Appeasement has NEVER done anything but encourage the aggressors.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Failed State" , "Appeasement"

First you should recognize that Russia has a broad spectrum of power instruments ranging from the most advanced large missiles to anti tank missiles which can crack open any non-Russian tank today. In practice, ask the Saudis and the Turks. Their intelligence capabilities are world-leading in a certain way. The Armata tank was the first to have anti-missile hard kill capabilities.

Also, Russia has a rich culture and is by now in some ways an economic powerhouse. No1 wheat producer, leading large rocket engine developer+builder. Used by Boeing heavy lift rockets.

The archetypical Russian is a farmer family who wants to live in peace and is not keen on slaving in the coal mines of Daimler, Sony or Apple. The "farmer' has plenty of time to develop advanced weapons and tactics to defend his realm.

So, they are "failed" as much as America is "failed" in Detroit.

Finally, I never said we should appease them. We should apply sanctions which immediately hurt, instead of contemplating the end of humanity as we know it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Fast Breeder Reactors

Russia is also the No1 operator of fast breeders. This type of reactor could be used to generate all the power we need in time of cloudy, low wind situations. The U238 fuel we have already stashed in waste storage. Thorium could be used, too.

Instead of warmongering we should engage them into a kind of Nuclear Airbus, where they can bring in their expertise in exchange for something else they need (e.g. the continued supply of Airbus spare parts, tool machines, chemicals etc).

Russia already shares a lot of technical data of these reactors, which is encouraging.

3. llaryllama

Re: FREEZE IT !

You seem to have a slight error in your understanding of history. The ROC on Taiwan has never been part of the PRC, not even for a day. The ROC has been de facto independent since 1912 while the PRC was not founded until 1949.

I do not subscribe to the "might is right" policy you seem to be inferring and I fear you may have swallowed China's Kool Aid, comrade.

6. Mark Exclamation

"Taiwan's Parliament, the Executive Yuan, yesterday revealed draft amendments to national security laws aimed at deterring and punishing Chinese economic espionage efforts......."

Yeah, that'll stop them (not). China doesn't give two-hoots about any laws that aren't Chinese laws, and will continue to ignore them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like