back to article Intel reveals GPU roadmap with hybrid integrated discrete graphics

Intel laid out its future graphics accelerator roadmap to investors on Thursday, which includes plans to blur the lines between integrated and discrete graphics. The chip giant said it will ship its discrete desktop Arc GPUs, code-named Alchemist, in the second quarter of this year. The Arc GPUs will appear in laptops before …

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

You want to stop me buying something....

...this right here is how you do it:

It would appear forthcoming processors with SDSi may be arbitrarily restricting some features until obtaining a ‘license’ after the fact.

Look, we all know when we're getting screwed. Payment is a social contract just as much as a legal one. You did work, and you deserve to get paid for that work. That's fair. Making me pay for something I already have breaks the contract. I'm clearly not paying for all your hard work, because it's very obvious that it doesn't actually cost you more to give it to me or not - seeing as you have in fact done that, you just expect me to pay again despite having already bought the thing, and despite the hardware in question being right fucking there already.

Car companies keep trying this and it is pissing consumers off. Everyone needs to cut this shit out.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: You want to stop me buying something....

Car companies keep trying this and it is pissing consumers off. Everyone needs to cut this shit out.
      It's particularly egregious now that cars contain tens or hundreds of microcontrollers and so much functionality can simply be code that's gated based on where the model or trim level sits in the hierarchy.

1. pavel.petrman

It indeed is just like you wrote - it is cheaper for car manufacturers tu put everything in their cars software und lock/unlock it via configuration and diagnostics.

I hear that the language one needs to learn in order to get car features unlocked is Russian. Their online fora are full of easy to follow guides on unlocking and enabling everything. I hear car manufacturers are trying to fight it but with not much success.

1. DanceMan
          Mushroom

Re: the language one needs to learn in order to get car features unlocked is Russian.

If you unlock it all the way will the vehicle take off to invade Ukraine?

2. Tom 7

I cant find any figures out there but when I was a lad CMOS you weren't using was not a noticeable power drain, it was as good as off. Now with these sub 10nm processes I'd put money on there being leakage that could easily amount to a significant power drain unless there is no power to it. So that's going to be either some noticeable real estate wasted to isolate it or a waste of power. Either way the customer is going to end up paying for something they aren't using.

3. Binraider Silver badge

This isn't that rare. Even our beloved RasPi had "optional" licenses you could pick up to enable certain proprietary functions in hardware (mostly video decoding related) for a couple of quid. On the plus side, if you weren't using them you didn't need to buy those licenses.

Subscription everything is the new normal; and I hate it passionately. Generation rent, indeed.

2. pavel.petrman

Super exciting vocabulary

As soon as I read "super exciting", my bullshit filter kicked in an I was unable to read the following text to extract facts. Followed by "can't be called integrated or discrete". Please. Of course it can be, because it is either the former (as in standalone) or the latter. Being young, the first time I encountered this kind of, erm, marketing vocabulary, on the then popular tape casette recorders, half of which sported the word DIGITAL, written in capital letters in some sort of digital looking type face. Inoperative turbo buttons. Laser quality ink printers. Cloud ethernet switches. AI coffee mugs and vacuum cleaners. We people just can't seem to get enough of lies marketing language and always want more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Super exciting vocabulary

Rishi Sunak has one of those 'AI' Coffee Mugs, from a marketing perspective, many probably thought on hearing this, the 'AI', was just a reference to the way Yorkshire folk speak!

2. mrfill
      Coat

Re: Super exciting vocabulary

That's because marketing are supremalistly good at inventalizing new words.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Bold vision

It is clearly a bold stance.

Unfortunately, it's not because you are going to be able to stack chips on top of one another that, all of a sudden, you're going to become a graphics king.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are very capable people working at Intel, that I will not dispute. But there are also very capable people working at Nvidia, and Nvidia has twenty years of experience in high-end graphics. Intel ? Not so much.

So I'm glad that you've set the bar to high expectations. Unfortunately, I have never counted on Intel to power my gaming sessions, and I have no reason to think that that is going to change any time soon.

I am willing to be pleasantly surprised, though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bold vision

And yet Apple now have a competitive GPU (fuck off with your it doesn’t match a 3090ti comments most people do not use the extreme high end), ok so they stole a good chunk of that either directly or by employing former staff from Imagine but still.

4. iron Silver badge

So Intel think they have invented the APU? How cute.

Were they not paying attention to their main rival these last 11 years?

5. Bitsminer Silver badge

shipping boxes

A few white boxes, a grey box and a blue box is a roadmap?

You have got to be kidding.

6. captain veg Silver badge

the point of Intel graphics

In relative terms, Intel GPUs always have been utter crap, but they were (are?) very FOSS-compatible, and, for the average user, good enough.

If this proposition is that Intel will ship chips that are closer in capability to the nVidia/ATi(AMD) establishment, then great, so long as the drivers remain free.

Have to say that I would prefer that nVidia and AMD open-source their drivers.

-A.

1. Tom 7

Re: the point of Intel graphics

I heard the reason they dont open source the drivers is for IP reasons. Which is a bit weird given the competition generally has access to that so called IP within hours of it hitting the shops.

2. Binraider Silver badge

Re: the point of Intel graphics

Intel onboard GFX since Skylake I would describe as "surprising". I would never have remotely considered them viable for anything but office desktop up until that point.

I had a 6700K, initially without a GPU at all and got by reasonably well for a time in some fairly heavy games. Elite dangerous for instance, worked pretty well even on that limited hardware.

In todays insanity market I can totally see a budget conscious PC enthusiast looking at onboard as a very, very good idea. £300 for an "extremely average" GPU's is not even remotely competitive compared to where the supply chain was at the beginning of 2019.

Yes, yes, inflation, supply shortages, transport, other excuses yada. Bad value is bad value, and if PC's remain bad value people will look for alternatives. Cue Chromebook, Consoles (also bad value at the moment!)

Intel backing GPUs at a strategic level is very, very important to them. It's important to maintaining shifting of x86 boxen. In the absence of Nvidia or AMD upping their output to meaningful levels to compensate.

7. Tom 7

I seem to have missed something

if 3d packaging is a new thing then I guess the 2d ones would have been easier to cool,

8. FuzzyTheBear
    Joke

Hands ?

With his hands like that and his look .. he looks like Mr Burns :D

9. DevOpsTimothyC
    Stop

Key contributor to Linux?

In a separate speech, Intel's software group senior vice president Greg Lavender said the company is the top contributor to the Linux kernel, and employed more than 120 maintainers of key open-source technologies.

Intel tries to get out kernel source code for new hardware support and feature enablement early ahead of chip launches

This is a cost of them doing business and they should be called out for trying to sound like they were "donating back to the community" (which is how it came across to me). If they weren't doing this then a bunch of their stuff wouldn't work and so wouldn't be sold.

They have almost certainly got people doing similar for Microsoft, and if they didn't with Apple, then perhaps this is why Apple went down the M1 route

10. naive

Lets hope Intel succeeds and game developers pick up on this

Having issues finding a convincing upgrade path for my 2014 980M rig based on PassMark information, it seems Intel should not have a hard time blowing NVIDIA and AMD Radeon out of the water.

These guys have been sitting on the lazy chair for the last 5 years, the only thing they hiked are the prices, not the performance of their cards.

Paying $700 and more for a mid range card is a real tribute to the comfy Oligopoly these guys enjoy at the moment.

The big question is how fast game developers will support the new Intel cards, which is required in order to achieve a market share significant enough to create competition in the graphics card market.

1. Binraider Silver badge

Re: Lets hope Intel succeeds and game developers pick up on this

I do find it amusing that when I make similar arguments to yours on other forums that brand-whores will try and leap to the defence of their favourite hardware company.

I love a good AMD as much as the next PC fan; but the 6500 launch is absolutely indefensible as anything other than a cash grab.

That 2014 rig; you will be doubly challenged to find a suitable upgrade; as I am guessing it's PCI3; so even a "current" mid range card would probably offer zero benefit whatsoever without also swapping out the motherboard.

I'd say the best value CPU/GPU deals on the market right now are those with embedded gfx; unless you have unlimited budget. Intel can absolutely make a difference here, if they don't go too greedy. They may well price low in order to generate market uptake too.

2. Boothy

Re: Lets hope Intel succeeds and game developers pick up on this

Quote: "The big question is how fast game developers will support the new Intel cards"

Do game devs really need to do anything to support Intel?

Games, more specifically game engines, don't target specific cards or vendor architecture, they target an API, such as DirectX, OpenGL or Vulkan. The vendors then provide drivers that support those APIs on their hardware.

Intel already provide these APIs for their existing embedded GFX, and games already work there. Not as fast as a discrete chipset from AMD or Nvidia of course, but typically modern games are still playable if on lower settings.

Granted, they might have some optimisations to do, getting the drivers to work well with specific game engines, or specific games, such as when Nvidia puts out game ready drivers.

Either way, competition is good. Be interesting to see where their performance vs price comes in, and if they actually manage to sell at retail!

11. Evil Scot
    Coat

Why do I get the impression "Celestial" will have nothing to do with "Endgame"

Mines the one with the Marvel Blue Rays in the pocket.

12. Jedit Silver badge
    Mushroom

"Alchemist"?

Mate, if you're not causing a star to go nova, you are not deploying the Alchemist.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like