back to article UK's National Savings & Investments bank looks for new IT partner in £172m deal

UK state-owned bank National Savings & Investments (NS&I) is on the hunt for an IT partner – with a deal worth up to £172m in the offing – as its longstanding arrangement with Atos IT Service draws to a close. The Executive Agency of the Chancellor of the Exchequer is looking for an IT services company to "deliver digital self …

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Lollin' about...

"The contract is expected to have a one-year implementation period"

Haha, good luck with that. Assume this what the non-technical bean counters want, rather than actually speaking to the technical leads and planners to gauge what is actually possible?

1. philstubbington

Re: Lollin' about...

It’s the contract that’s going to take a year to implement, not what’s being delivered from it. Seems like a long time to me - but then it’s public sectorish, so who knows?!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ERNIE

Who also drove the fastest milk cart in the west......

Apologies to those of a certain age for whom that song will now be stuck in their head for the rest of the day.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Pint

Re: ERNIE

I was about to post the same...

2. Giles C Silver badge

Re: ERNIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI

3. Primus Secundus Tertius

Ernie's real purpose?

I always wondered if the real reason for building ERNIE was to generate random numbers for encrypting government messages.

1. DaemonProcess

Re: Ernie's real purpose?

I wondered that, also whether government had their own separate implementation stuck in a Faraday cage somewhere. If not then why not - would that mean Ernie was discovered to be not as random as first advertised?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ernie's real purpose?

Nowadays it's used to generate fat cheques to Crapita, Fujistu, KPMG, Deloitte, Dildo Harding,....

4. Admiral Grace Hopper
    Mushroom

Fujitsu?

What could possibly go wrong?

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Fujitsu?

We shall found out post-haste

5. cantankerous swineherd

is 172 million for a computer cheaper than doing it by hand?

ns&i have a perfectly good paper system which I much prefer to the insecure digital effort.

"NS&I's retail banking customers" - they have retail banking customers? they issue cheque books and debit cards?

6. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Stop

Boredom

The Executive Agency of the Chancellor of the Exchequer is looking for an IT services company to "deliver digital self-service experiences and journeys to NS&I's retail banking customers, and to enable Assisted Digital support. It will deliver these services to mobile app, website and voice assistant channels," according to a tender notice.

Why can't they just say they want someone to run their computers ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like