back to article Indonesia's new mega-telco to build 18,000km submarine cable to the US

Indonesian telco Indosat Ooredoo Hutchison and independent cable builder and operator Inligo Networks have signed a memorandum of understanding to construct an 18,000km submarine cable linking Indonesia, Singapore, Australia, Japan, and the US. The Networks Asia Connect Cable System (ACC-1) will offer 240Tbit/sec of capacity, …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

240Tbit/sec

Wow. That's a lot of cat videos, to be sure.

Given that this is going to be a brand new cable, I'm guessing it will use the latest tech, signal multiplexing etc etc. We've seen articles here on transfer speeds in the lab, so what tech is actually going to go into this new batch of special fibres ?

We need a kitty icon.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Happy

Biscuits

It's probably very bad of me, but I kept reading 'Ooredoo' as 'Oreo'...

Mmm, cookies!

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Re: Biscuits

That's OK. I read 'Batam' as 'Batman' every time.

1. Beeblebrox
        Pint

Batam

I always mix up Batam with Bintan, which makes me think of Bintang, possibly the best beer in Indonesia ... or not.

3. heyrick Silver badge

It'll be interesting engineering to have a big fat data cable remain reliable over some seismically active places.

4. david 12 Silver badge

Oregon and Japan legs?

www.submarinecablemap.com isn't showing the Oregon and Japan legs of the cable. They may be existing cable? Or a separate build program?

Interesting that no Hawaii connection is shown. This cable avoids the Chinese coast, giving more geographic and political diversity to the Singapore/USA connection (critical hubs). Avoiding Hawaii demonstrates that it's not *just* a geo-political strategy: there is enough traffic and enough existing diversity that a trans-pacific cable doesn't have to stop at Hawaii or China to pick up traffic and provide alternate routes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like