back to article Apple, Broadcom allowed to press Ctrl-Z on billion-dollar Wi-Fi patent payout to Caltech

Apple and Broadcom won a new trial to recalculate damages arising from a six-year-old legal battle over Wi-Fi patents developed by the California Institute of Technology (Caltech). The US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on Friday upheld the 2020 verdict that Apple and Broadcom infringed two Caltech patents. But it …

1. skeptical i

Ctrl-Z?

Ain't it Command-Z on a Mac? That four-leaf-clover thingie?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ctrl-Z?

On my keyboard that "four leaf clover thingie" is the option key.

But I love your description of it! From now on it will be known as the "flc" key

Have a groovy weekend... Ishy

1. Tim99 Silver badge

It may depend on the age of the computer? On my 2+ year old iMac the flc are labelled "command". The option keys have a graphic that looks like a sunken swan. A much older wired keyboard uses mostly text with few symbols - it only has the flc...

2. katrinab Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

On mine, the clover thingy is the Command Key, and the switch symbol is Option, and the same as Alt on PC keyboards

2. anothercynic Silver badge

In the shell? Nope. There it's Ctrl+Z. The Ctrl key. Next to Alt and the Four-Clover (Cmd) key.

1. Tim99 Silver badge

Quite right too - The way that the <DEITIES> intended...

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Nah, the deities intended control to be directly under the tab key.

1. Tim99 Silver badge

If the deities intended the control to be under the tab (VT05); whose idea was it to put the caps lock next to it (VT52), and then make it twice as big so that it overlapped to where the control should be (VT100)?

3. Irony Deficient

Ain’t it Command-Z on a Mac? That four-leaf-clover thingie?

It depends on whether “Ctrl-Z” in the headline was meant to represent “undo” or “end of file”. The former function is indeed ⌘Z, Cmd-Z, on macOS. (Perhaps only we greybeards recall the latter function from the operating systems that ran on our coal-powered iron.) The ASCII character that corresponds to Ctrl-Z is “substitute” (U+001A), but Unicode recommends replacing the “substitute” character with the “replacement character” (U+FFFD, �).

The “four-leaf-clover thingie” is technically a “place of interest sign” (U+2318, ⌘) — the symbol originally came from Scandinavian maps. There are two “sunken swan” candidates: one is the “alternative key symbol” (U+2387, ⎇), and the other is the “option key” (U+2325, ⌥) — Macs typically use an Option key as PCs use an Alt key. The analogous symbol for the Ctrl key is the “helm symbol” (U+2388, ⎈).

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

Re: Ain’t it Command-Z on a Mac? That four-leaf-clover thingie?

don't forget "suspend foreground task" in bash. Last I checked a Mac has bash for its default shell.

(I guess that uses Command+Z like Linux or FreeBSD uses Ctrl+Z)

but from the context of the article I'd think they meant "undo"

1. Irony Deficient

Yes, bash is the default shell on Macs, but a simple stty command can change the “susp” character from ⎈Z to another character. I don’t know which operating system Thomas Claburn uses on a daily basis, but given the “Ctrl-Z” in the article’s headline, odds are that it’s Windows; and if he’s been in the industry for some time, he might remember ⎈Z as an end-of-file character for DOS text files.

2. Tim99 Silver badge
          Gimp

These days it’s Zsh…

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But of course! Because if you can buy a big enough legal team, you can buy the courts!

"Justice?" Pah.

Haven't heard of it in over 100 years down south of Canada...

1. ShadowSystems

Apple sucks balls.

They get sued for Yet Another Shitty Thing(TM), argue the holy hell out of it to drag it out as long & costly as possible, then appeal the judge's findings to make it cost even more, until either the prosecution is bankrupt, dead, or gives up in disgust.

Just once I would like to see the appeals court decide the original damages weren't enough, triple it for Apple being douchebags, Apple appeal the appeal to the Supreme Court, the SC refuse to hear it & let the appealed verdict stand, thus leaving Apple on the hook for over a trillion dollars.

Apple will try to appeal the appeal appeal, the SC will refuse to hear it again, & tell Apple to pay up, STFU, and GTFO.

Apple will appeal the a-a-appeal, the SC will get pissed, triple the already trippled damages on the grounds that Apple is being a festering shitstain, and threaten Apple with contempt of court charges if the fine isn't paid.

Apple will appeal the appeals, the SC will turn to the bailiff, & calmly order the Apple lawyers to be placed under arrest as Vexacious Litigants.

At which point Apple won't be able to file a lawsuit on their own, will have Olympian amounts of difficulty convincing anyone else to file a suit on their behalf, and law firms across the nation will start treating them as the toxic scum that they are.

"Yes you deserve representation, but *we* don't have to be your representatives. You may have to ask the public defender's office to assign someone to you. It won't be us. Now go away, we have a reputation to maintain."

*CackleCough*

Damn my fantasies. I just wish some vengeful god would reach down, aim a finger at Apple, & erase them from existence & eternity.

*Sigh*

I'll go get my Dried Frog Pills...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Apple sucks balls.

"we have a reputation to maintain."

Not a phrase one expects to hear as being attributed to lawyers :-)

1. Tim99 Silver badge

Re: Apple sucks balls.

Perhaps. IBM’s lawyers are sometimes called the Nazgûl… The Nazgûl came again ... like vultures that expect their fill of doomed men's flesh.

1. Dante Alighieri
            Coat

Vultures

redeployed here?

3. sanmigueelbeer
    Headmaster

What a load of bull dung this is.

In 2021, it was widely reported that Apple earns >US$1 per day. PER DAY.

Before "the great move to the east", many talented engineers came out of the halls of CALTECH, MIT, etc. These same engineers and thinkers help invented and developed a lot of products we use today. Most importantly some of these CALTECH and/or MIT alumni are currently employed at Apple &/or Broadcom.

Tim Cook said in a speech delivered during the MIT Commencement in 2017 that "Technology must be infused with decency and kindness".

The law has sided with CALTECH. It has been decided that Apple and Broadcom has "ripped off" two CALTECH's patents without even paying them a cent.

Tim, don't just "talk-the-talk". Infuse some kind of decency and kindness and pay up.

At the end of the day, neither you, Apple or the rest of the world will know what great things will benefit if-and-when Apple will pay the full amount (of the penalty).

1. Tim99 Silver badge

<cynicism>Do you really think that the monies will get spent on research?</cynicism>

1. sanmigueelbeer

Do you really think that the monies will get spent on research?

My argument above, which a neg vote is unwarranted, has got nothing to do with HOW the awarded money will be spent.

Apple and Broadcom infringed on two CALTECH patents, the Courts ruled.

2. DJV Silver badge

In 2021, it was widely reported that Apple earns >US$1 per day

Damn, I make more than that!

Or did you miss out a 'Beeeeellion'?

1. sanmigueelbeer

Re: In 2021, it was widely reported that Apple earns >US$1 per day

Or did you miss out a 'Beeeeellion'

I missed that. Mea culpa.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Facepalm

Apple trying to have other peoples patents invalidated LOL

4. DomDF
    Trollface

Boo patent trolls

5. xyz123 Silver badge

Whenever a large judgement is 'suddenly' overturned, the Judge and everyone in the court system for that case should be fully IRS Audited.

Just to ensure the Judge doesn't now have $42,300,000 in unexplained offshore holdings.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or...

Is not a member of the same Frat as the Broadcom/Apple lead counsel.

Frat Rings are what it is all about with these people (as well as country club membership naturally)

IANAL and I do not play one on TV although I'd like the $$$ from doing it.

2. W.S.Gosset

> Whenever a large judgement is 'suddenly' overturned...

And ditto the judge etc in the Court(s) which were overturned.

Also: assessed by psychiatrists both for sanity and for partisan-bias/activism, eg presenting as a political or virtue-display activist.

Example of both the latter: in a recentish high-profile criminal case in Australia, the Court of first instance formally reversed the burden of proof then exacerbated it: inverting it from the Prosecution needing to prove the accusation Beyond Reasonable Doubt, to the Defence needing to prove that every part of the accusation was completely impossible in any even theoretical way. She formally instructed the jury to make their decision on this basis. So they convicted.

The first Court of Appeal formally approved of her decision to invert the 1,000yr+ basis of criminal law and upheld the conviction.

As an indication of probability levels vs theoretical possibilities: a critical requirement of one charge was that everyone walking backwards&forwards in a large, long, high-traffic public corridor at a peak-time, all suddenly went simultaneously blind for a couple of minutes without noticing or thinking to mention it or bumping into anything or each other.

Fortunately for the concept of Law, the final Court of Appeal actually considered the concept of Law, and of real-life reality, and so punted the conviction into touch. With --for a legal judgement-- some withering assessments of the previous Courts' competence.

However, I have seen precisely nothing official done re formally re-assessing the 4 (IIRC) junior Courts' judges' fitness for their roles.

6. Blue Sky Pen

Are they too poor to pay the rightful inventors?

This is pocket change for these companies. The people at Caltech created the technology. I use it all the time—and so does everybody else.

The devices these companies sell would be nearly worthless without the IP that made them possible. Why not let the companies that make HUGE money from these inventions pay this tiny fraction of their value to the people and institutions that made them.

If we want cool tech we have to pay the inventors who create this stuff. Starving these people and institutions stifles innovation.

1. sanmigueelbeer

Re: Are they too poor to pay the rightful inventors?

Last year, in the middle of the pandemic, Apple made US$366 BILLION dollars in profit. That is more than US$1 billion dollar a day in profits.

Why not let the companies that make HUGE money from these inventions pay this tiny fraction of their value to the people and institutions that made them.

ElReg already have several articles in the past about maintainers of Open Source codes who receive nothing from big companies who make obscene profits from the product.

And here we are trying to dissuade big western companies for doing business with companies from South East Asia because of intellectual property theft.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They get public funding from the American taxpayer for this research and the money from tuition etc etc. They also haven't sought to come to any agreement with the IEEE on it's inclusion in WiFi standards despite getting the patent back in 2013.

They're a publicly funded patent troll.

LDPC codes have been around since the 60's and they come up with a high throughput version of an already quick algorithm...I am wonder how much they actually invented here. Given the lose standards of the USPTO which highly favors granting patents over checking for substance I wouldn't be surprised to find out it wasn't that much.

The people who actually didn't the work won't get sh*t, cause they had to assign the patent to the university.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Should you need more proof. Caltech is a member of the University Technology Licensing Program.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/06/15-universities-have-formed-company-looks-lot-patent-troll

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like