back to article Welsh home improvement biz fined £200,000 over campaign of 675,478 nuisance calls

Home2Sense Ltd, a home improvement biz, is nursing a £200,000 financial penalty from the UK's data watchdog for making well over half a million marketing calls to people that registered to opt out of such botheration. The company, based in Lampeter, Wales, was behind 675,478 nuisance calls between June 2020 and March 2021, …

1. Dwarf

Anyone got an popcorn ?

Company folding in 3, 2, 1 ... pooooff, gone.

Make the directors and senior managers personally liable with say 30 years inside if they don't pay up on time.

That serves as a good lesson for anyone else that might think it to be a good idea and it has the additional benefit of getting them off the street and unable to form a new company tomorrow and the next day and the day after that.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Anyone got an popcorn ?

I was about to post pretty much the same point...

2. Warm Braw

Actually, there seem to have been first Gazette notices for compulsory strike-off in both August and December 2021, both of which were discontinued shortly afterwards. A notice was filed yesterday reporting the termination of a director appointment back in August of last year and a filing changing the registered office address is dated today. That seems more like there's an intention to keep it going.

Which is interesting, because if this is their website (it doesn't have a company registration number or address or phone number), all that phoning around netted them only 163 "happy clients".

1. Jim Whitaker
        Thumb Down

Everything about that website shouts "fake" and "avoid". Can't even spell "spray" correctly. And yes, I do mistrust any business which can't be bothered to proof read their website.

3. Chris G

In addition the names of directors, owners and senior management should be published as well as a ban on starting a new business within a certain period after winding one up, say 2 or 3 years.

1. JoaoRichter

Unfortunately , even with a banning , the "owners" & "seniors Managers" could just simply use PROXIES to star up a new scam !!!!

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Stop

I'm sorry, you want jail time only if they don't pay up an insignificant fine ?

They actively called people they knew they shouldn't. They lied and passed themselves off as other companies. They are crooks and should be thrown in jail now, whether or not they pay the fine.

I am sick and tired of companies getting caught behaving like scam artists only to get a few tens of thousands in fines.

The company manager knew and, if he didn't know, he's still the company manager. He either goes to jail for condoning it, or he goes to jail for being incompetent.

CEOs in jail is the only way we are going to stop this nonsense.

1. ShadowSystems

At Pascal Monet, re: jail.

Don't bother with mere jail. <Queen of Hearts>Off with their heads!</Queen of Hearts>

*Deep breath*

There. I feel better now.

*Wanders off to find my Dried Frog Pills*

5. ShadowSystems

*Hands over an extra large shopping bag of popcorn & an extra large tankard of drink*

Here you go. Please remember to take separate bites & drinks lest you end up blowing foamy chunks all over your monitor. =-/

2. GreggS

Wow Minority Report type pre-emptive strikes

"Home2Sense was incorporated in September 20129"

Impressive

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow Minority Report type pre-emptive strikes

Not really, there goes job security... the Y2038 bug is a myth.

3. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge

29.6p for each call

not a bad surcharge on a call which may net £kkk of bewildered mark's hard earned cash. Just a cost of doing business.

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Re: 29.6p for each call

I guess so, but it depends on how much revenue or business the calls generated. Hopefully not much as I'd expect most people response to be to "Please f**k off".

2. Pen-y-gors

Re: 29.6p for each call

And cheaper than sending a 2nd class letter

4. xyz123 Silver badge

If this company "doesn't know" where its list of phone numbers came from, then one can only assume they breached North Korean sanctions.

This means the individual people at the company will have the corporate veil pierced and be fined 10s of million of pounds each.

Well? go ahead...prove your data WASN'T from North Korea.......

1. My-Handle

A nice thought, but it's considered bad form to accuse someone of a crime and bang them up for it just because they can't prove they didn't do it.

1. Pen-y-gors

Coming soon to a Priti-Patel sponsored Bill near you...

5. Jedit Silver badge
    Mushroom

I'm fairly sure I've seen these scum on Facebook, too

Which is worse, when you think about it. A cold call is a pain but as Aristotle's horse said above, you can just say "fuck off" and hang up. Social media advertising is like you being in the pub looking for your friends when some spiv comes up and asks if you want to buy his tat. You tell him to fuck off, but he keeps pushing. You go to the bar staff and ask them to remove him from the premises. They say no, and in fact offer to lend the spiv a megaphone because he's paid them for a pitch. The only way you can get away from him is by leaving the pub, and then you miss meeting your friends.

1. My-Handle

Re: I'm fairly sure I've seen these scum on Facebook, too

At least in the pub you can take a short trip to the gents and, when said spiv follows you, you can offer to sort out his dental issues nice and quickly with the nearest wall where there's no-one around to see.

It's a bit harder to do that on social media.

2. ShadowSystems

Re: I'm fairly sure I've seen these scum on Facebook, too

The bloke at the bar is easy to deal with. You drop an arm around their shoulders all friendly like, guide them outside "so you can hear yourselves talk", then hide the body in the boot of whichever car the keys in his pocket unlocks. Sure the hike home from the quarry will result in a powerful thirst, but you were headed back to the bar for your own car so score! =-D

The ad on FB is even easier to avoid. Don't visit FB in the first place. "But I need to meet my friends there!" just means you need real friends.

*Hands you a pint*

Drink up. They'll never find that car. =-D

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cut to £160,000 – a 20 per cent reduction – if it is paid

and to 99% if paid at all...

7. heyrick Silver badge

will not be tolerated

Bollocks. The fine amounts to around 30p per call. There was a time when that was how much calls used to cost. And there's no fine or prison time aimed directly at management, so what's to stop them simply saying "nope, this bankrupts us" and setting up shop with a different name to carry on as before?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: will not be tolerated

Limited companies provide significant protection to directors - so its hard to find them unless they are guilty of major crimes. Such crimes require a court case rather than an investigation by a watchdog (for good reason) - and our jails are full of people convicted of more serious crimes, I don't think jail time is warranted.

Declaring themselves bankrupt prevents them from setting themselves up as company directors again until a court lifts the bankruptcy order, so preventing them starting a new company is already built in to this penalty.

I get that nuisance calls are annoying, but the punishment should carry some perspective and be relevant to what they did (which it mostly is) - filling up jails with people convicted of minor crimes means people convicted of more significant crimes get tags because there is no room in jail.

1. DJO Silver badge

Re: will not be tolerated

If we had sensible drug laws we could free up at least 20% of prison capacity overnight, that would provide ample space for any naughty CEOs.

8. stewwy

Must be another one starting up for the Midlands.

I've been on the list for 10 years plus, and the only previous calls I got were foreign ones.

Yesterday I got the first UK one, claiming that the loft insulation I have causes mould and I should pay them to change it.

9. Potemkine! Silver badge

As long as opt-in won't be the rule for "ad calls", there will be such abuse.

10. jgard

Their website says it all...

It looks like it was written by one of the prison guards from Idiocracy. It's full of spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes - the headline on one page is "Quality & Efficience". Particularly concerning is their "Spay Foam Insulation" service, ouch! It doesn't mention if they perform it on the customer or their pets, but either way, I think it's best left to a doctor or veterinarian.

Not only are they shithouses, they're complete thickos too. Scum of the earth.

1. My-Handle

Re: Their website says it all...

Either that or they're using their website in the same way that a "Nigerian Prince" uses his emails, as an idiot filter. After all, you don't want smart people biting at your scam, wasting valuable time.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bring back the public stocks

£2 a rotten tomato

£5 the whole watermelon

12. Captain_Cretin

They obviously arent bothered by the fine, as I have been getting 3 calls a day from them for the last few weeks.

I cant block them, as they are using a range of numbers, but all with the same robo-message.

As per the story, they are asking for a guy who died over 10 years ago, and have been told REPEATEDLY has been dead for over 10 years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like