back to article Attack on Titan: Four Japanese Manga publishers sue Cloudflare

Four major Manga publishers are set to sue internet-grooming firm Cloudflare, on grounds its content delivery network facilitates piracy of their wares. The four companies – Kodansha, Shueisha, Shogakukan and Kadokawa – together dominate the market for Japanese comics and own many iconic properties. The publishers also …

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Cloudflare has denied that its services assist pirates

ROTFL

Now tell us that you take abuse seriously too.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Cloudflare has denied that its services assist pirates

well, to their credit, Cloudflare appears to take at least SOME complaints seriously, but as they're NOT some kind of police force or "enforcement arm of the CANCEL CULTURE" (thankfully) it appears that if they are satisfied the content they host was pirated they'll take it down from their network.

Isn't that ALL you can REALLY ask ANY reputable service provider? (anything BEYOND that can quickly become CANCEL CULTURE, or worse, PREDATORY TAKE-DOWNS of COMPETITORS)

And, I would guess, that it might be a good idea for manga publishers to do MORE (English) translations of their works (or license it to those who do it), so that the fan-scanners won't need to do it FOR them. Often these quasi-pirate organizations exist ONLY because the works are unavailable to the rest of the world through any other (legal) means.

1. julian.smith
        FAIL

CAPITALISATION ALERT; CANCEL CULTURE ALERT

Shouty, USA-style "cancel culture" nonsense

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

They null-route their e-mail abuse contact so I've used their abuse phone number a few times for them anonymizing phishing store fronts with prolific referral spammers. They literally told me to call the police and not bother them.

2. Rael

Pirates are a big part of Cloudflare's business model. That's why they always refuse to take anything down until you get a court order.

Getting a retraining order from a federal court starts at ten thousand dollars. Because you have to hire lawyers, go to court and pay a ton of fees. Oh, and you often have to first sue the pirate to prove to the court that they don't have the rights to what they're posting.

Not a lot of people can afford it. Cloudflare KNOWS this. Hence why they NEVER take anything down without a court order.

It's a scam.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Japanese Supreme Court?

Given Japanese courts were handing out (suspended) jail sentences and 2 million yen fines to Youtubers posting review videos of copyrighted films, this is an open and shut case in a Japanese court.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So, in Japan it is forbidden to review a film ? If you're a nobody, that is.

Well that's just nuts.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pro or amateur. There is no fair use. You use copyrighted material and they will go after you harder than Disney.

2. Ken Y-N
      Pirate

Re: Japanese Supreme Court?

It wasn't just a simple review, it was basically the condensed version of the film, with the plot explained from beginning to end.

https://soranews24.com/2021/06/25/three-people-become-first-arrested-in-japan-for-posting-10-minute-movie-recap-on-youtube/

4. Criminny Rickets

So based on their claim, when are they taking all the ISP's to court?

1. Gordon 10
      Mushroom

Why stop there? Lets takedown all the DNS servers.

Even better why dont they go after ICANN? I'll get the popcorn.

1. Ben Tasker

> Why stop there? Lets takedown all the DNS servers.

I know this was an offhand comment, but don't tempt them. The EU already want to set up their own DNS servers with support for filter lists and network blocks....

2. Aleph0
        FAIL

DNS Servers

Well actually here in Italy around Christmas all ISP DNS servers suddenly stopped resolving mangadex.org, one of the main manga scanslation hosting sites (unaffected by this latest lawsuit because it uses another CDN, not Cloudflare's) likely due do some court order instigated by some local licensor. Oh well, that finally got me to pull that long-forgotten Raspberry Pi out of its drawer and install a PiHole on my LAN...

Note: I'm a staunch supporter of the manga industry – I purchase around € 100 of local editions montly, and sometimes digital Japanese editions that I don't usually even bother to download because I just want to support the authors with my money – but sadly for some of them there's zero chance of ever being licensed abroad. And I'm not even talking about hentai, just risqué stuff...

Icon: response from the ISP upstream servers.

3. Potemkine! Silver badge
        Pirate

Add to this all the switches, routers, PC manufacturers.... and cables ones too. All this copyrighted material goes through cables, doesn't it?

1. Ben Tasker
          Joke

Your honour, he was using Wifi therefore he broadcasted the content!

2. MrDamage Silver badge

Parents too

They were the ones who birthed the pirates, so go after them too.

2. Ian Johnston Silver badge

John Bunt is dead.

For those who don't know, he tried that back in 2006 when he sued three ISPs whose customers had, he said, posted disparaging remarks on the forums of a laptop battery website he had set up. He lost, completely. https://www.5rb.com/case/bunt-v-tilley-others/

1. UCAP Silver badge

That case was in the UK courts. Do the Japanese courts think on the same lines, or do they prefer to follow the US model of justice.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Let me correct that for you: US model of retribution.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Don't be silly. It's the best justice money can buy.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
              Unhappy

> It's the best justice money can buy.

You're right of course, but I'm not sure the term "justice" is the best choice here.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Justus with the money.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Truth. Justice for just us rich people.

5. aerogems Silver badge
    Pint

Another Instant Headline Classic

If El Reg can't give their headline writer a raise, they should at least buy him/her a pint on Friday.

6. imanidiot Silver badge

Lost cause

So if these pirates don't use cloudflare they'll find some other way to host their websites. Doesn't seem like a smart use of their money.

IMHO it would be easier to make their content more easily accessible legally. Things like English language websites and putting pressure on western credit card companies to actually accept payments for their content (because a lot of it is blocked), because OMG nipples or something...

Manga themselves seem to have been relatively accepted and embraced in much of the world, but accessibility from outside Japan still leaves a lot to be desired it seems with many many hoops to jump through.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like