back to article Running Windows 10? Microsoft is preparing to fire up the update engines

It's coming. Microsoft is preparing to start shoveling the latest version of Windows 10 down the throats of refuseniks still clinging to older incarnations. The Windows Update team gave the heads-up through its Twitter orifice last week. Windows 10 2004 was already on its last gasp, have had support terminated in December. …

1. Dave 15

Last update wrecked so much

I am down to one windows machine largely because it's so fatally wounded by the last update it's now in use as a door wedge. Others were converted to Linux of different flavours so they work

1. ChrisBedford

Re: Last update wrecked so much

"Fatally wounded" eh.

Your computer has something wrong with it, you're running some dreadful old legacy software, or you've managed to break a setting or the registry, or something.

I have two desktops running W10 and they've been in service for more years than I care to try and remember (Core i5 gen 3 and i3 gen 7 - the latter replaced a couple of years ago because the hardware of its predecessor expired) and I run loads of software on them, the i5 is my primary workhorse which I use all day, every day and the i3 is used as a small business file server. I keep them 100% up to date and I honestly can't remember when last an MS update broke anything significant. Sure, they ask to reboot at the most inconvenient times, but I run a Macbook as well and so does Apple.

There is a culture of criticising and blaming MS for everything that goes wrong with a PC when in my experience nine times out of 10 it's user error or something random or minor that can be fixed without a lot of trouble.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Your computer has something wrong with it, you're running some dreadful old legacy software, or you've managed to break a setting or the registry, or something.

How dare ge try and use his computer eh?

Your post can be summarised as "it works for me, so everyone else must be doing something wrong". It's an arrogant and self-centred position that ignores the plethora of examples showing that MS do balls things up.

Perhaps the answer is that your own usecase is too simple to have been affected?

2. LybsterRoy Silver badge

I'm running 4 windows PCs plus one Linux PC and I've only had one trashed by Windows update. The little ultraportable now running Linux was bought to replace an untraportable running W10 - an update wrote to the BIOS.

Oh yes 3 of the 4 Windows PCs are running W7 and had update turned off many years ago. The one W10 PC is just to make sure software I write will run on W10.

3. Horst U Rodeinon

Well, aren't you the most special little thing, bless your heart

2. Kevin Johnston

Have to agree. We have two Win10 devices here and since the latest upgrade they have shown 80-100% usage on CPU/Mem/Disc for long periods making them unusable.

Since one of them was a clean build two years ago with only MS software such as Office and Teams plus Firefox browser I can be fairly sure this is not legacy software killing it and Resource Manager points the finger at things such as MS Anti-malware and 'system interrupts' using all the Disc/CPU resources. Curiously, I can resolve the anti-malware hogging by excluding the Windows folder but that still leaves many other MS tasks/services overloading the system.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Teams could suck the life force out of a supercomputer

Firefox hoovers up masses of memory

1. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

I just switch off javascipt - most websites are still viewable without... and cookie nag screens disappear when you disable CSS

3. staringatclouds

All of my machines are Linux bar one cheapo tablet which won't download any updates because no matter how much space is freed on the disk there isn't enough space to store the download

2. Not Irrelevant

I don't have a huge problem with Windows 11, most of it is stuff I either slightly like or don't care about and there is one improvement I really like.

Really like:

Improved window docking, hover over the maximize button to see what I mean.

Windows Terminal becoming the default terminal application, tabs = better. This probably doesn't matter to most people who never use the terminal.

Don't Like:

Start menu can't be docked anywhere but the bottom.

Clock missing from secondary monitors (looks like this will be fixed, I'm using a 3rd party app for now).

Start menu different for no reason, having all apps hidden behind a button adds a click, minor.

Don't Care:

Updated design changes, this seems like the biggest Windows 11 thing. Yes, it looks slightly different, no care.

More virtual desktops, I'm sure someone cares but not me.

Settings replacing Control Panel, the Windows 11 version of Settings actually seems to work, unlike the last version but I need to figure out where everything is again.

Overall, my opinion of Windows 11 is fairly neutral but as a software developer running old versions isn't an option because the headaches start to pile up after the new Windows has been out more than a year or two, might as well get used to it now. As for Linux, I need both Linux and Windows for what I'm working on and I've found Windows + WSL is easier for my workflows than Linux + Windows VM but It's really down to what you're doing. My hardware config is much better supported under Windows than Linux.

1. Dave K

I'm mixed regarding Windows 11 as well. I like that it looks more polished. I always thought Windows 10 looked incredibly bland, flat and lifeless. Windows 11 looks a lot prettier, and that's good IMO. Unfortunately the regressions to the task bar and start menu seem pretty illogical to me. I just don't understand the benefit of removing features and customisation options for no understandable reason.

The new task bar also means that OpenShell isn't currently a seamless option for adding a properly functional start menu back in just yet. For that reason, my W11 test rig will remain a VM until both MS fix some of Windows 11's stupidities and 3rd party tools catch up to fix the other annoyances.

The minimum requirements issue is also daft, but so far it is fairly easy to circumvent.

1. Twilight

For start menu, I highly recommend Start 11 from Stardock. It's very cusomizable (I use modified Windows 7 Style as I *REALLY* never understood the purpose of the later changes).

2. X5-332960073452
        Happy

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"but I need to figure out where everything is again."

Why bother? They'll only move them again.

1. ChrisBedford

Why bother? They'll only move them again.

Because, you dimwit, it will be at least 5 years before the next version of Windows comes out.

Sure, a lot of the changes feel like change for its own sake - e.g. right-click on the taskbar for Task Manager has been a feature since at least WinXP, but now it's on the Start button (WHY?!) - and it can be frustrating when you have to work with various versions, but "not learning because they'll just move them again" is churlish and cutting off your nose to spite your face.

1. Korev Silver badge
          Gimp

Does ctrl + shift + esc still work?

Icon in case escape doesn't work...

2. Bond007

".......it will be at least 5 years before the next version of Windows comes out."

I wouldn't be too sure about that, you 'dimwit'. M$ are such an arrogant and aggressive company, I would put bets on that there'll be a new version of Windows out in a couple of years maybe or less!

3. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Ah, remember the good old days, when there was one current version of Windows, perhaps with a "SP1" or "SP2" appended. Now there seem to be dozens of versions of the bloody system, all impenetrably titled and with bizarre tortuous upgrade paths. Microsoft have learned all the wrong things from Linux.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

reasons

for all the different versions

Its called 'licencing' and its how m$ makes money off the corporate world.

In fact its now so convoluted that most m$ salesmen dont understand m$ licencing....

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: reasons

So, you're saying "Microsoft have learned all the wrong things from Linux Oracle."

4. Omnipresent Bronze badge

Yes, I am.

and no, it's no longer connected to the internet, although it still insists on stealing my cpu to do unnecessary virus scans of my system that will never be on the internet again.

5. js6898

Not sure what all the fuss is about - just turn off windows updates

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not sure what all the fuss is about - just turn off windows updates

Surely I shouldn't need to. I see when my w10 updates that there is a "Windows Malicious Software: Removal Tool" downloading, but somehow, even when it's done, I find that w10 is still there!

Shouldn't this Removal Tool have replaced w10 with some sort of nice friendly linux by now?

:-)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Not sure what all the fuss is about - just turn off windows updates"

Is that even possible? Surely the only option is to postpone updates, for a limited time. (Unless like another poster above, you don't connect it to the interwebs. At which point large portions of Windows will complain, not work, or warn you every time they launch that "your experience will be improved by connecting to the Internet", not least of which, if Windows can't phone home, it'll nag you about updates and probably eventually limit other features and tell you "Your copy of Windows may not be genuine".

1. js6898

Yes it is possible.

It is in theory easy to stop and start WU simply by starting and stopping the windows update service. However, as we all know, if you stop it the 'medic' service starts it again for you - very annoying. Thus you have to disable the medic service first. This is done by renaming the .dll file to eg .bak (or whatever you like). However, this .dll is owned by system, so you have to take ownership first and then you can rename it.

Open an elevated command prompt (in c:\windows\system32) and run the following commands (you need do this only once):

copy WaaSMedicSvc.dll WaaSMedicSvc.BAK /y

takeown /f c:\windows\system32\WaaSMedicSvc.dll

cacls c:\windows\system32\WaaSMedicSvc.dll /e /p "Preferred Customer":f

erase c:\windows\system32\WaaSMedicSvc.dll

(here, Preferred Customer is my windows account name - use your own)

You can also create a .cmd file with these 4 lines in and run it as an administrator if you prefer.

That has disabled the medic for good, although you will need to check if a new .dll is ever added if you do updates in future.

Now you can stop and start the windows update service as you wish. I have a couple of .cmd files on the desktop which stop and start the service - I just run the one I want as administrator. These are the 2 command files:

sc config wuauserv start=auto

sc start wuauserv

pause

sc stop wuauserv

sc config wuauserv start=disabled

pause

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Oh, thanks for that. Copied and saved for a rainy day.

On the other hand, FFS!!! All that when it should be a simple click of a button to turn updates on or off :-)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Just a thought - in the win95 days, there was a trick to prevent a certain virus infecting your pc. It would create a EXE file in the windows folder so you would create a folder with the same name - you can't overwrite a folder with a file.

So adding a

md WaaSMedicSvc.dll

May work? Or produce weird numerical error messages...

2. NATTtrash

Is that even possible?

Yes, it is. But, yes, better prevent the all controlling hand of MS fondling your private parts.

I've a W10 copy in a non-net connected VM here, leaving all internet interaction to more trusted software. After debloating and a simple 3 rule turn-clock-back-upon-boot batch, I expect it to keep compensating for the sheeple indefinitely. No nagging or condescending remarks to be seen, just doing what you use a computer for: getting work done without getting in the way.

That is, unless "compatibility" with the rest of the world is lost again because Redmond went to the next iteration of their self-invented "industry standards" for internal budget purposes of course...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re. Is that even possible?

I vaguely remember that in one of my culls on services running in the background, I also disabled one related to windows update, which seemed to do the trick (and stayed that way after reboots).

6. js6898

turn off wu

not sure what tje fuss is about - just turn off windows updates

7. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Ah, well

First, I'm planning to move to Win11 and my daily driver supports it.

But I'm also planning on upgrading my hardware and figured I'd wait to get a clean version of Win11.

I wish the Windows Microsofties could coordinate better with the Surface Microsofties on release dates.

8. ecofeco Silver badge

Already here

Got my two updates this weekend.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Already here

Yeah, and the strong arm is already here too. I wasn't expecting it so soon, as these are older machines. I'm surprised that it is even offering the "upgrade" at all, as the whole point seemed to give the hardware companies some hope people would buy new computers.

They are gonna get sued again. The notification is all dark design patterns. It pops a glossy screen strongly suggesting the benefits of the upgrade, the fear of being left behind, and a tiny little line in micro point font that you have to click to get past it because they replaced the ususal UI and removed all the controls a normal user expects to skip an update.

Then once you FIND the link, grab a magnifying glass because the pinch to zoom is disabled, and click on it, it literally asks you on the next screen if you are "Not sure about windows 11?" calls the upgrade seamless (even though the box wasn't on the win11 HCL last I checked...) and stresses how it has "A Familiar Feel" (Lies) "what you need-when and where you need it" also lies.

The last line is the best "Try without worry"* because once you install it, you have 10 days to fess up to IT so you can admit you wasted hours of their lives and the companies money not only reinstalling windows 10 but also probably trying to get a refund for the paid upgrade it's going to try to sell you even though the company already has a site license and annual contract.

EU's gonna have a field day with this.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft can take their Windows 11 and insert it into the orifice of their choice, rotating the box slowly to cause maximum pain. :)

After all I've read about the problems to date and the problems that remain for AMD processors, there is NO WAY I am spending hard earned cash on a TPM module for my motherboard just so I can install software I never wanted in the first place!!!

1. ChrisC Silver badge

Bought myself a new laptop at the weekend, which came pre-infected with W11. Rather than nuke it from orbit before attempting to make use of the machine, I decided to give it a fair chance to prove itself...

...so far, I think the longest I've managed to go without googling "how do I turn off [insert latest stupid design change]" is maybe an hour. Anyone who knows me knows how much I despise the W10 UI, yet the fact that I'm actively wanting to turn W11 into something that looks and behaves like W10 should be a fairly clear indication just what I think of the W11 UI.

I really thought MS had lowered the bar as far as if could go with W10 in terms of "crap UI design that feeds entirely off the egos of the designers and fails to address the needs of the users", yet they've only managed to go and bloody well outdo themselves once again - one could say they've turned it up to eleven...

10. Arbuthnot the Magnificent

Old hardware though...?

I have a perfectly good AMD FX PC which runs 10 very well, but doesn't meet the requirements for 11. Wonder what will happen when they stop updating 10?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Old hardware though...?

That is 4-5 years down the road at least. There is an awful lot of hardware that doesn't qualify.

Even my year old box doesn't, because I didn't buy the optional TPM module for it.

1. Jakester

Not 4-5 years down the road - it is 3 years down the road. That goes fast (only takes 3 years).

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Well 21H2 is supposed to be the last update to W10, from now until October 14, 2025, its security patches...

I have several W10 systems with the "not compatible with Windows 11" warning on the WuP page. Currently, I'm quite happy, as it (hopefully) means MS won't be doing a GWX repeat on this system.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't worry by then the tick-tock pattern of faceplants followed by backpedaling and an "Apology Edition" will either have arrived or the endless parade of deadline extensions will start.

3. druck Silver badge

I have a perfectly good AMD FX PC which runs 10 very well, but doesn't meet the requirements for 11. Wonder what will happen when they stop updating 10?

You'll find it runs Linux like it was new again.

1. Arbuthnot the Magnificent

Indeed it does, it's dual-booted; I only go into Windows when absolutely necessary (Wine lets me down).

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm in the same boat (but the PC runs Windows 8.1 because I didn't wan the hassle of doing an OS upgrade) ...Core i7-4790, more than fast enough for what I need. I rather imagine that once Windows 8.1 stops receiving patches, it'll get Linux Mint installed on it. I did look at Windows 10, but the processor falls outside of the supported hardware list for the current release, so assume that's a non-starter...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

running the i7-4790k and it's rock solid in win 10

the only thing I have to mess with to get it running is an ancient Audigy sound card, I have to find an older driver (vista from memory) as anything newer recognises the card but produces no sound.

5. Roland6 Silver badge

>Wonder what will happen when they stop updating 10?

Well from my experience with XP, suggest the issue won't so much be with Microsoft but with the community.

It's worth taking a look at MyPal a once maintained web browser for XP (https://github.com/Feodor2/mypal )to see just how stupid some developers can be...

11. Binraider Silver badge

I imagine their corp customers are as fed up of dealing with the mishmash of versions and update control too.

But OS fragmentation is not unique to Windows, and in fact, I struggle to think of anything current that doesn't suffer from it one way or another.

Having some control over the system again would resolve most issues I have with 8/10/11. Fat chance. Even in enterprise licenses.

Server 2019 as a desktop recommended yet again if you want a 7like experience, in official support.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"But OS fragmentation is not unique to Windows"

OS fragmentation imposed by a single vendor is, however, a Windows speciality.

I'm not sure about Macs but with Linux and BSDs you can choose your preferred version, your preferred UI and run those on multiple machines if that's what you want*. You don't have to put up with a mishmash and you don't get forcibly updated by the vendor.

* In practice you might want to run different setups. For instance SWMBO suffers from macular degeneration and has had lens replacement. Her laptop also runs Devuan and KDE but some settings are changed to adapt to that.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GWX says NO!

Anyone else install that fun program that also works on win10? that and the anti-bloatware powershell patches that castrates windows ability to phone every keypress and mouse move back to M$'s overwatch servers ?

13. VulcanV5
    Holmes

Have to say, I've never yet had a disastrous Windows 10 update. Fingers crossed, I won't suffer one in future. (It may have something to do with the fact that this home PC of mine was built in February 2013 and is still running perfectly well on Windows 7.)

14. ChrisBedford

But why would you want to keep running those old versions???

Seriously, what is all the FUD about?

Apart from a couple of minor inconveniences here and there, I've not yet seen a W10 update that didn't improve things in some way or another. And I have worked on *A LOT* of WIndows 10 machines.

A very lot.

There's a culture of dissing everything that comes out of Redmond BECAUSE REASONS but I have decided it's almost always down to BS and emotions, very very little actual logic or valid argument.

1. Roger Greenwood

Re: But why would you want to keep running those old versions???

We have one machine running just one specific piece of software that has a problem with updates. These two must be kept in sync version wise otherwise it breaks. Yes that means the software is crap, but this is the real world so auto updates are disabled and just done a few times each year. Rather than coming in Monday morning to find it is my fault... again...

It's not BS, it's not emotion, just reality.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Seriously, what is all the FUD about? Apart from a couple of minor inconveniences here and there, I've not yet seen a W10 update that didn't improve things in some way or another. "

I've not had any issues with the Win 10 updates personally either, but a couple of my colleagues had work PCs rendered unbootable by updates and required a clean re-install back when Windows 10 was young (<6 months old PC, wouldn't even boot into safe mode).

1. tiggity Silver badge

Ended up installing Linux on my dad's desktop as windows updates broke it, and when reverting back, then letting updates flow, the updates would again break it, none of the "solutions" found online worked so Linux it was for a pain free experience* as he only needed email, browsing and looking at (and printing / burning to disk) photos / videos from his digital camera. It wasn't like his PC was full of weird and wonderful obscure software.

* I'm a developer not a windows troubleshooter and Linix switch was great, as instead of some of every visit to my dad being about looking at his Windows issues, with Linux no issues so more time to chat, which was good as my father died last year and so Linux gave me more more "quality time" with him in his last few years.

2. ChrisC Silver badge

Same problem here in the early days of W10 - IIRC 3 of my colleagues (so 25% of the team as it was back then) had their PCs felled by it.

3. LybsterRoy Silver badge

In my case its because I'd need to buy a lot of new software - stuff that's happy and productive on W7 but won't run on W10.

1. Jakester

I have a 24-6rack digital recorder that requires a Win XP computer to control it. That-s another reason for running an old version.

4. Down not across

Rebooting behind my back (and thus losing whatever I might have had open) is not just emotions.

Forcing an update when logging on to quickly check something and having to wait ages for it to spin (and sit for an hour at 100% complete..." is also not just emotions.

It's my fucking computer and I should be deciding if and when I update it.

And that is not even taking into the account the shoddy updates breaking things (admittedly i have been lucky and not been hit by those).

5. Antonius_Prime

On my personal, home machine:

Updates killed the BCD twice. After the 1st instance, a BCD file was kept on hand on external storage for repair.

Professionally: Helpdesk for north of 500 Win 10 Machines. On average, getting them off v1803 or earlier and onto v20H1 has been painful, even if you add COVID measures on top of things. We've seen specific issues fixed by doing an update. The specific issue? On-board audio on HP EliteBooks dropping dead. Some of these machines shipped with v1803.

20H2 caused issues by locking machines onto the work VPN's DNS - when they were off the VPN. That locked them out of joining such untrusted networks like their home wifi or the corporate wifi...

Also had issues where an update was run and suddenly required pieces of software need URGENT updates because the DLL or API they used was broken and the fix turned out to be a few K's worth of PO's to buy the updated software because, hey, new version!

Or more impressively - rebooting the CEO's machine mid worldwide meeting stream to c. 2,000 employees...

On the reboot thing, 99% of the time, I find that caused by the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

15. JBowler

Seems to be old news

I'm not on any "insider" version or anything. I just see:

Version: 21H2

Installed on: [tr]2020-10-31

So this news seems to be three months out of date (rounded). Now I still can't get W11 and I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro, so those guys have work to do in the update field yet, but whining about something that's been and gone seems pointless.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft is about to release its next product

Open those Storm Overflow valves.

1. Roger Greenwood

Re: Microsoft is about to release its next product

Overflows don't normally have a valve. The clue is in the name :-)

17. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"With many customers still unable to meet Microsoft's infamous hardware requirements for Windows 11"

Yeah. About that. These requirements makes no sense.

1. jdiebdhidbsusbvwbsidnsoskebid Silver badge

"With many customers still unable to meet Microsoft's infamous hardware requirements for Windows 11"

That should actually read "with Microsoft still unable to meet many customers' hardware's software requirements"

18. EricB123 Bronze badge

Oh, just a windows 10 update

My supposedly up to date win 10 computer now has a mysterious tray icon that says"update to windows 11 now!" when I mouse over it. And some dialogs ate the size of billboards telling me to update to windows 11.

Uh oh.

19. Jonjonz

win 10 Updates - Three days a month my computer is useless

I have a potato computer. Every Win 10 update takes control of it for three days of endless disk thrashing, extremely long start up times, and massive lag when trying to play games or run any memory or cpu intensive software. Usually after 3 days things settle down.

Fortunately they have never broken anything, but why in Gods name does their own anti-virus have to scan every file of their update multiple times?

Thank God, my potato does not qualify for Win 11.

20. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

Beware the White Walkers

21. George Orwell

I let Microsoft upgrade my brand new laptop to windows 11.

I hated it. It was slow. Fortunately, it allowed me to go back to windows 10.

22. TheRealRoland
    Meh

Already happened to me

Had an HP Spectre with Win8.1 laying around, fired it up, and it immediately started with installing Windows 10. Don't think i had a chance to stop it from happening. It's fine in my case. Needed to wipe clean this Windows instance due to a lot of bloat that i could not remove by simply uninstalling things.

23. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Fscking hell I'm sticking to Windows XP

24. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Cheap Linux systems

What'll happen when Win10 goes EOL if you can't run Win11? People'll get a supply of cheap used systems to put Ubuntu 26.04 on I guess 8-)

(Note, Linux still has full support for Audigy out-of-the-box too.)

25. The Empress

I am sure one of these updates is designed to trash your machine

MS will I'm sure embed an update that someday will blow up your machine forcing you either to upgrade to W11 or buy a whole new machine,

26. Jeff3171351982

Before Win10 was forced upon me, I switched to Linux on my main machines. For 2 windows-only apps, I occasionally revert to a free 90 day developer version of Win8.1, which I reinstall on virtualbox every 85 days.

27. Roland6 Silver badge

Looks like MS are up to their old tricks... Need GWXI Control Panel !

On my new (well under 6 month old) W10 laptop, just received the first notification "Upgrade to Windows 11 is ready for your PC".

Need to find out if there is a Group policy setting that prevents the display and actioning the update.

Expect in the coming months to see the "Upgrade to WIndows 11" messages to become more intrusive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like