back to article UK, Australia, to build 'network of liberty that will deter cyber attacks before they happen'

The United Kingdom and Australia have signed a Cyber and Critical Technology Partnership that will, among other things, transport criminals to a harsh penal regime on the other side of the world. Australian foreign minister Marise Payne and UK foreign secretary Liz Truss yesterday inked the document in Sydney but haven't …

1. Kabukiwookie
    Big Brother

Demockracy

"Australian foreign minister Marise Payne and UK foreign secretary Liz Truss yesterday inked the document in Sydney but haven't revealed the text of the pact."

Sounds like a real democratic government to me...

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Demockracy

Yeah. Crazy how all these uppity "democratic" countries are currently doing a whole lot in complete secrecy, isn't it ?

Like not revealing the contract signed with Pfizer. Why ? My tax money went into that agreement. I think I have the right to know what the agreement is.

2. alain williams Silver badge

Re: Demockracy

Maybe we should ask them "If they are doing nothing wrong then what have they got to hide ?"

2. ShadowSystems

Gang stomp the crims!

Nuke them from orbit, just to be sure.

*Gleefull rubbing of the hands & evil cackling*

Damn, another entry on My Skippy's List.

*Comical pout*

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will this 'network of liberty' have every packet intercepted, copied, monitored, decrypted, logged, scanned, searched for subversive keywords, and associated to an end user on which a profile of contacts and interests and threat level is calculated? Gosh I don't know but I've got a pretty good idea...

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Politically incorrect minnows in a dark deep pool of ravenous sharks

Liz Truss and her ilk would do well to take note of an earlier draft declaration with regard to cyberspace ...... https://www.eff.org/cyberspace-independence ..... lest ignorance of it reveals them as arrogant puppets of muppets without a clue about what to effectively do about a novel space and extremely ACTive place in which they have neither commands legitimate nor controls absolute.

1. Chris G

Re: Politically incorrect minnows in a dark deep pool of ravenous sharks

My impression of Liz Truss is, she is generally out of her depth walking through a puddle, I doubt that much of whatever she plans will ever bear fruit.

1. Empire of the Pussycat

Yep.

Having showed herself incapable of understanding cheese, and followed up with some piss-poor trade deals, she's risen among her peers to a position of great responsibility.

Imagine how bad the others must be.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

So she's going to be prime minister -

1. Youngone Silver badge

I hope she's as funny as the comic on Radio 4 who plays her.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> she's risen among her peers to a position of great responsibility.

Largely (I suspect) because she's no threat to The Boris.

Yes Minister/Prime Minister was oh so accurate!

2. MrDamage Silver badge

That was actually comprehensible.

Who are you, and what have you done with amanfromMars1?

When amanfromMars1 talks about Liz Truss and Govt policy it cancels out and makes sense

5. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Australian liberty?

No thanks.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me see …

Presumably this involves banging suspect packets up in "offshore processing facilities" for inordinate periods.

Re: Let me see …

So Oz is going to start sending its convicts to Britain?

Seems a little cruel

7. mmonroe

"That last phrase refers to a promise that Australia will become the first nation allowed to build and operate nuclear-powered submarines that employ tech from the USA or UK."

These are US designed subs, and the UK involvement will be a few brackets and some tins of paint.

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

That hasn't been confirmed yet, although it's possible that it will be British subs with an American reactor.

The American reactor is more advanced and smaller, but the British subs are on par with the American offering while having lower crewing requirements ( something which is important to smaller countries like Britain and Australia ).

However it's a technology sharing pact. The subs isn't really the important bit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"That hasn't been confirmed yet, although it's possible that it will be British subs with an American reactor."

You can be sure it won't be an existing design, that'll be too cheap, they need something new designing that will be modified after building starts to enable more price gouging.

1. HelpfulJohn

"For gods sakes, think of the Trillionaires......... won't SOMEONE, *PLEASE* just *THINK*OF*THE*T*R*I*L*L*I*O*N*A*I*R*E*S*!!!!!!!!!" Impassioned pleas from "up-and-coming" backbenchers to tabloids.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>while having lower crewing requirements

Oz has a fix for that, just let children drive submarines.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Oz has a fix for that, just ...

One sneaky solution designed to annoy China would be to hire Taiwanese crews, who could be - I'm sure - very cheap. Maybe there are some suitable ex-naval types around who could serve.

Of course, there might be the "unfortunate" side effect of these new Oz submarines also going missing for no apparent reason. Nevertheless, I'm sure the Taiwanese government would so horrified at the slur on their citizen's reputation, that they would happily buy the Aussies some new ones as compensation. :-)

1. HelpfulJohn

Re: Oz has a fix for that, just ...

"After I retired I asked him. He said he was smuggling donkeys."

2. HelpfulJohn

According to a family member, whose reportage I of course trust completely, when I was younger I wanted to grow up to *be* a submarine.

No one ever did give me a really convincing explanation as to why that wasn't a valid career path.

When I found out that no one was hiring trainee-submarines, I decided I wanted to be a Starship captain.

No one is hiring them, either. :(

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"No one is hiring them, either. :("

So it's time to apply for unemployment benefits. It's what the finest people on this side of the pond do.

3. Denarius

lower crew requirements

is actually a big issue for Oz. for some reason, humans dont like 4 months plus away from sunlight, let alone family, pubs and friends. Pay not keeping up with CEOs and senior clerks in suits also does not help. The unreliability of the Collins class means submarining is not seen as a career as you get so little sea time anyway while the latest bug/stuffup/great idea in gold plating is fixed/repaired/added/mangled.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

if only...

>> the UK involvement will be a few brackets and some tins of paint.

Our sub drivers are probably better than most (certainly better than the septic's purveyours of sub-surface doom and destruction) - ok on training sorties they may bump into the odd sea bed, or trawler net, but learning by doing seems to work well for them.

My guess is we will provide training for the wallaby navy on the septic sardine tin.

8. Tim99 Silver badge
    Devil

Look a squirrel/koala

Two governments with problems with the electorate. Truss wanting to be PM - or de pfeffel setting her up to fail? Scotty from Marketing trying to look strong, or Dutton setting himself up as leader if they lose their majority in May?

1. Magani
      Facepalm

Re: Look a squirrel/koala

"or Dutton setting himself up as leader if they lose their majority in May?"

What a horrific thought.

1. chrisw67
        Facepalm

Re: Look a squirrel/koala

Perilously close to a life-like potato-head icon there :)

9. Magani
    FAIL

Buzz words

'Network of Liberty', - sounds like 'Centre of Excelence' but with American characteristics.

Total fail.

1. Chris G

Re: Buzz words

"Network of Liberty"

Sounds like 'We are allowed to do as we wish but you're not.'

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Whenever I see a St Georges Cross flying on a flag I think "racist", and whenever I hear "liberty" I think "libertarian nutjob". It's a real shame to see it creeping across the pond, but no surprise Truss is involved.

>whenever I hear "liberty" I think "libertarian nutjob".

Over here "Liberty" is a feminine hygiene product

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Whenever I see a St Georges Cross flying on a flag I think "racist"

Which suggests that it's you that is the bigot..

2. HelpfulJohn

"Sounds like 'We are allowed to do as we wish but you're not.'"

Of course we are.

So long as we accept that there are consequence for everyone not a prince or parliamentarian.

2. Mark 65

Network of Liberty? More like Axis of Banality.

10. Howard Sway Silver badge

network of liberty that will deter cyber-attacks before they happen

I will be extremely interested when we get to find out how this amazing new time travelling tech works, that can detect things that haven't actually happened yet.

Fun fact : Liz Truss actually named her daughter Liberty, encumbering her with a name that sounds like some medical support garment.

1. Magani
      Happy

Re: network of liberty that will deter cyber-attacks before they happen

...with a name that sounds like some medical support garment.

"Thank you for your support. I shall always wear it"

Spike Milligan

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Deter, not detect.

Deterring things before they happen is pretty much the definition of deterrence.

3. Chris G

See this: https://underpinningsmuseum.com/museum-collections/liberty-bodice-childrens-supportive-vest/

Those things were still around in the 50s when I were a lad, I think they were popular as a kid's undergarment during rationing.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Your next PM

What makes Truss think her values are reflected by the general population of the UK? Arrogance?

Re: Your next PM

You don't get to PM by thinking you are like everyone else.

You become PM because you were chosen by divine providence to become PM.

(chatty burning bushes watery tarts throwing sword may be involved)

1. HelpfulJohn

A burning bush on a watery tart?

Now that is *true* magic.

Yes missed an 'or', although I am only administrative officer for the week ...

2. Chris G

" burning bush on a watery tart?"

It's a matter of technique and perseverance.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Misdirection and Hypocrisy...and all at one time too! Politician At Work!

Quote: '....pledged to "Increase deterrence by raising the costs for hostile state activity in cyberspace..." '

Like this hostile act: https://theintercept.com/2014/12/13/belgacom-hack-gchq-inside-story/

...allegedly ordered by UK government ministers.

Maybe Liz Truss needs a good look in the mirror! And maybe a couple of days in Cheltenham (or Fort Meade)!

13. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Just how that will happen was not explained."

Maybe with advice from that well-known cyber-securtity expert https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Rudd

14. Denarius

rest assured

that liberty will be accompanied by more bureaucracy empowered to inflict fees, charges and mindless time wasting on citizens while miscreants wont even notice. The usual lawyers delusion of thinking that marks on paper mean something to those who by definition, ignore marks on dead tree carcass. Now if the pollies would do something about the torrent of phishing SMS scams plaguing this country they might get a positive response from the citizens. Instead the manglement fools want us to use and trust the most unsecured, easily lost and damaged devices on the planet with more and probably dodgy apps for routine activities that web browser provide the best interface for.

Despite having great innovation among the techies of all types, Oz leadership has a consistent penchant for choosing the worst possible combinations in anything, including fads. More Australian brown nosing rather than Australian crawl

15. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Holmes

Yes, yes

It will work perfectly. This will not only rid the world of hostile networks, but completely prevent the occasional momentary hacker break-in too. I'm uninstalling fail2ban now. Do I still need passwords?

16. Winkypop Silver badge
    Pirate

The Oz government under Morrison has screwed up every challenge set to it

Who’d venture forth in a Scotty-sub?

1. Chris G

Re: The Oz government under Morrison has screwed up every challenge set to it

The Oz electorate seem to have a penchant for electing leaders who look down on and have little regard for those who elected them.

1. W.S.Gosset

Too right. Whitlam, Fraser, Keating(!!), Rudd, Turnbull : truly towering contempt for the plebs.

1. julian.smith
          Facepalm

You forgot Tony: Australia's biggest loser

From a huge majority to being deposed by his own party - all in under 2 years

17. W.S.Gosset

AUKUS, the acronym

We're trying to get Ruritania on board so it'll be RAUKUS.

At the moment it sounds like a poked parrot.

18. bryces666
    Stop

AU already squashed liberty

I transited through an Australian airport recently (before the lockdowns), I was stuck there for 5 hours. I was appalled to see I could not access some of my favourite free video streaming sites - the sites redirected to some notice about oz government deeming them bad and blocking them. So no liberty there on the internet, you are only free to access government approved information, although how far this blocking extends I do not know. (Of course fired up a vpn and carried on...)

19. quadibloc2

Misreading

And here I thought the undersea capabilities were extra fiber optic cables, so that Internet access would be harder for the errant fishing boat to cut off. Since they were talking about computers and the Internet.

20. FlamingDeath Silver badge

I didn't know marionetes could sign documents

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like