back to article Microsoft seems intent on buying the gaming industry with $68.7bn purchase of troubled Activision Blizzard

Microsoft has cracked open its wallet once again with an acquisition of Activision Blizzard in an all-cash transaction valued at an eye-popping $68.7bn. The company also announced its Game Pass service had passed the 25 million subscribers mark. It's a huge transaction, considerably more than the $7.5bn spanked on Zenimax ( …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

They know gaming is the last firm foot hold for Windows. It's the only reason I still have a Win10 machine and not gone 100% Linux. If they can monopolize gaming on Windoze they assure their future profits.

Corporations and gaming do not go mix well together.

1. Korev Silver badge

Surely business is the last main foothold for Windows? Most gamers these days are on consoles (including one from MS)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

They know that if Steam Deck (Linux + Proton + Steam) works and Steam on Chromebooks (ChromeOS + Proton + Steam) works, that's a huge kick in the balls for consumer Windows.

Microsoft's solution: Buy huge triple-AAARGH games corporations for billions, make them churn out Call of Duty for Windows and XBox forever.

1. Michael Habel

Is consumer Windows still a thing I thought they were havning problems trying to give their spyware OS away. Or have M$ gone back to charging for Windows 11? Honestly I wouldn't know as I skived of to um fruitier relms... For the time being mind, at which pioint I will probobly just get a real Mac. but, I'm waittng to see if apple will end up droping these devices like so many a iPad, before it.

2. jake Silver badge

And yet ...

" Surely business is the last main foothold for Windows? "

And yet the single biggest reason most tech-savy ElReg commentards claim to have for not switching from Windows to Linux is gaming ...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Quote: "Most gamers these days are on consoles (including one from MS)"

Nope. Was true in the past, but the number of PC gamers passed console gamers around 2017 and has been on a steady rise since then, especially during the pandemic period.

Figures vary between places (i.e. where the figures came from), and also varies by region, but overall around 65% of gamers are on PC, with around 52% on the 2 main consoles (other gamers are on mobiles, Switch etc). There is also overlap, i.e. that 65% of PC gamers, many will also have a console, so are in both groups.

Revenue is different though, the two main consoles still make more money than PC. Partly down to games generally being more expensive on consoles (although many new AAA games are often the same price on PC now), and of course many consoles users pay a subscription fee to Sony and/or MS.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Corporations and gaming do not go mix well together.

It's called the finance industry..

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Not enough upvotes.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree completely. I call it my "Wintendo." :)

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Mushroom

Oh great. They've already borged Minecraft, now they've got Diablo

For fuck's sake, Borkzilla, can you leave my gaming life the fuck alone ?

I already have to deal with your shit every single workday.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Oh great. They've already borged Minecraft, now they've got Diablo

In another comment section on another website, I actually had one commentard use Minecraft, LinkedIn and GitHub as examples of MS successful takeover management.

Yeah, my ribs still hurt, but I got the keyboard cleaned up.

1. Joe W Silver badge

C'mon, those were successes, compared to Skype...

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

Skype was a roaring success compared to Danger and Nokia

1. Joe W Silver badge

Fsck yeah. Nokia.

I'm still upset about that one. My Nokia Windows phone was brilliant. Shame about how they alienated all developers and then canned the whole thing.

Bunch of..

3. Jay 2

As a long-term Playstation owner with a Mac all these MS purchases are starting to worry me some. Right now I now I'm not going to be able to play Starfield or Outer Worlds 2 on my current kit as they're MS exclusives. I can only hope they don't tie down the Fallout and Elder Scrolls franchises (maybe a timed exclusive?). It's got to the point where I've dabbled with NVIDIA GeoForce Now and am considering a Steamdeck.

Though I think MS has played a blinder with Game Pass. A great idea fairly well done. Makes me jealous, Sony really haven't got much of a clue on that front. I believe they've got something similar in the works, but I'm not too up on the details like what games and how much. And more importantly, will it be on top of PS Plus?

1. Korev Silver badge

> As a long-term Playstation owner with a Mac all these MS purchases are starting to worry me some

The latest Office update made its way onto my Mac a couple of days ago. MS are quite happy to sell things for other platforms if they can make money...

1. John Riddoch
        Terminator

I suspect Office on Mac is only to hold the monopoly on office suites. If they didn't do a Mac version, offices which use Macs would have found something else to use.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We have :).

Seriously, this was a direct result of analysing the traffic leaving systems. Our security guys looked at that for a bit, then the CISO briefed the Board and that was it. Blam. Just like that.

2. Binraider Silver badge

Sony did it's fair share of buying out games developers, and often shutting them down.

I cannot forgive them for what they did to Psygnosis; probably one of the very best groups in terms of pumping out original content on the Amiga, PC, and very important to early Playstation.

Consider why PS1 and 2 had so many titles available on them. Not so with 3 and onwards. Support for small devs has dried up because "Sony" preferred it's blockbusters; making dev kit and SDKs inaccessible. With the major risk that if a few go wrong, they were in serious trouble.

This is also why smaller dev outfits get most of my game purchases now. The PS4 is the worst value console I've ever owned in terms of hours used and titles purchased for it.

As a linux nerd, Bethesda being gobbled by MS is an end of an era for me. Doom Eternal, for all of it's shiny & fun arena combat, was marred by awful interspersed platform game sections.

MS buying activision is a match made in heaven; two immoral outfits focussed entirely on profit any any expense. Occassionally both outfits have produced quality material, but in the main, are limp lettuce merchants.

1. Joe W Silver badge

How about if MS was buying EE? That would be even more fitting...

4. mark l 2 Silver badge

While I am only a casual gamer these days. I can see that the more we end up with just a few huge corporations owning all the gaming studios, the more it is going to restrict consumer choice. Just like you now have to subscribe to several different streaming platforms if you want to watch your favourite TV and movies, Im sure Microsoft want to use these acquisitions to get more exclusive Xbox and Windows games, which won't be released for other platforms.

1. Blank Reg

The problem for Microsoft is that buying big publishers puts them in the cross-hairs of the DOJ anti-trust squad. So they need to tread carefully.

Buying them and continuing to support other platforms on an equal basis should keep them safe for a while. Start cutting out other platforms or giving them second rate implementations and they could see themselves in trouble with the DOJ yet again

1. bussdriver3

They bought the DoJ once before they can do it again.

MS never was punished for monopolistic behavior in the past; sure you can cite a few nothings that never changed their behavior other than they refined their tactics for the next crime.

MS will simply donate a lot of $ to the GOP again and buy their way out of "jail" again along with some $ for other politicians so they don't squawk as loudly. Worse case, Gates will do some targeted "charity" work in political soft spots; again.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

I can see that the more we end up with just a few huge corporations owning all the gaming studios
      The "AAA" studios, perhaps. There's a whole world of gaming out there that isn't AAA.

1. RyokuMas
        Stop

"There's a whole world of gaming out there that isn't AAA."

If you're talking about "indie" - especially indie that doesn't have a AAA budget or connections - then Sony really need to improve ease of access to their platform: for Xbox, all you need to do is apply with suitable evidence that you have a half-way decent game in the making. For Playstation, you need a fixed IP address before you can even sign up for the indie programme.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

For Playstation, you need a fixed IP address before you can even sign up for the indie programme.
          Good grief. My last console had an Atari logo on it so I wasn't even aware of these issues.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you saying Activision Blizzard is *not* a huge corporation?

4. Plest Silver badge

Support indy studios on Steam, some really great stuff going on just out of sight.

My wife and I play co-op on survival games and those are almost always from indy studios, they have good support and most will listen to players with good suggestions. Indy studios have more to loose screwing up a release I tend to find they're far more cautious and don't piss off their player base by not giving a crap like the big boys do.

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Or, my preference, support indy developers on Gog.com - no DRM, no need to install their client software, and they have a lot of long-tail older stuff too.

Speaking of, I booted up an old tower PC of mine the other day, and rediscovered Unreal Tournament. The original one from ‘99. I’d forgotten just how much fun it was. Sure it’s graphically primitive by modern standards (though surprisingly better than you’d think for something 22 years old…) but it’s amazingly addictive. We’ve been playing CTF and Assault game modes pretty much non-stop for the last few evenings!

5. wolfetone Silver badge

Oh No!

Anyway.

I could not be less bothered by this. The older I get, the more disenfranchised I am of the gaming scene. Long gone are the days where you could just switch on the console and jump in to a game for a quick 5 minute blast. Now you have to sit there while the console decides whether or not to install an update, and when it does it takes forever, then you get bombarded with loads of screens about "what's new" and it's always f**king new skins or new ways to steal money out of my wallet. Your 5 minutes goes fairly quickly on witnessing bullshine.

That said, thankfully there are still smaller studios and developers who are making games that are truly unique and hark back to an earlier time when the game play and story were everything in a game. Instead of now where the consumer demands movie like games, and then pour total scorn on anyone who tried and stumbled to deliver a unique experience. I'm thinking of Cyberpunk for that one, but there's LA Noire as well.

Because of this, studios have to be bigger, have more people working for them for longer hours for (ultimately) less pay, and have to deliver a game that suits the market because a studio or it's owner won't stomach a loss. The margins are razor thin, so they have to sell in the millions otherwise it's failed. That's why we're drowning in a sea of unoriginal games like Call Of Duty and FIFA. Just rinse and repeat, and the sad thing is people are buying in to it.

Bring back my Nintendo 64, all is forgiven.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh No!

I'm with you on that. Switch isn't too bad for updates. It's like they can't just finish a game and release it. It's not like they have to adapt it for multiple pieces of hardware, one version per console.

2. DS999 Silver badge

The innovation in games moved to mobile years ago. If you want original, don't own a console.

What, mobile gaming is more than just microtransactions?

1. DS999 Silver badge

Well it has devolved into that, but the gameplay itself is still more innovative than the same old retreads you seen again and again on console and PC.

Unfortunately the pricing became a race to the bottom, and all games wanted to be "free" because people apparently don't like paying $1.99 to find out if they like a game or not.

2. RyokuMas
        Stop

I stopped developing games on mobile some time ago, when it became obvious which direct the market was going in.

Mobile gaming is a cess-pit of ad-delivery and/or microtransaction platforms based around psychological trickery on order to make people feel as if they will miss out if they do not keep "playing". Like SEO before it, the roost is ruled by a few big players who can buy their way to the top of the search lists, and the few decent titles out there drown in the tsunami of asset flips and re-skins, and also "my first games" hacked together by those who still foolishly believe that mobile gamedev is an easy way to make money.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

Then you've got stuff like HALO Infinite where I'm in a "boss battle" - except my rockets and other weapons go straight through the enemy without affecting him. So I've given up.

I remember when you got a console because the games were better QAed.

And there's no way in hell I'd play a game on my phone and that postage stamp theatre crap. I want a reasonably comfortable controller and a monitor where I can actually see what's going on.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge

You do understand a thing called PC's exist. They are magical devices you don't need to pay a monthly access fee for. Plus you can upgrade them when you want with whatever vendor gear suits your fancy.

Threadripper / 3090 / Predator monitor combo lets me play Kingdom Come: Deliverance on Ultra settings at 1440 res @ 240 fps with butter smooth performance. Console...? Pah...

How many years of live service monthly access fees would it take to pay for that gaming rig?

2. Franco

I used to game on PCs, until Steam took over. They decided to patch Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus to the point that previously compatible GPUs could no longer run the game, and the cost of a new GPU was less than the cost of a console with bundled with Forza Horizon 4. I'm not a keen enough gamer to be willing to part with the kind of cash needed to keep a gaming PC current.

Plus with Microsoft Rewards points Game Pass Ultimate essentially becomes free, right now I can play the latest Xbox games like FH5, Halo Infinite or Back 4 Blood without paying a penny.

1. Cuddles

You stopped gaming on PCs because a developer completely unrelated to Steam released a patch for one of their games which you then chose to install? And buying a new GPU would have been cheaper than a console, therefore consoles are better? I've heard some weird arguments over the years in the various PC vs. console vs. other console wars, but this one is really pretty special.

1. Franco

1. Steam (at the time, don't know if this has changed) do not allow you to opt out of updates, nor could the game be installed any other way

2. The Xbox One bundle that I bought at the time was around £60 cheaper than the lowest supported GPU that would have run the game and given me any degree of future proofing

3. I didn't say consoles were better, I explained why they were better FOR ME. If you are a hardcore gamer then yes, the ability to customise and upgrade you get from a PC is essential.

3. Michael Habel

You understand there these things called GPUs....

Well mayby you don't... Anyway the generaly either just simply DO NOT exist, or when they do, they are so comiclly overpriced for what they are. the fact that there are some morons out there that still think VR will be a thing, at this point is the epiphany of cute. Hardly a wonder why people would rather have a Xbox Series X, for what is litteraly half the price of any recent nVidia offering.

6. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Data

Likely they just want data on youngsters, what they chat about, what are their concerns and then they will be using those games to nudge and manipulate them into the correct ways of thinking as directed by WEF.

7. a_yank_lurker

Desire Each Other

Cesspool meet Sewer. From the reports about Acitvision they are a company to avoid. Also, I am not sure what the Rejects of Redmond are thinking with this one. They are saddling themselves with a company of ill-repute when picking over the carcass after bankruptcy with not saddle them with as much.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Desire Each Other

Anyone want to guess how many millions Bobby Kotick and friends will be paid off to walk away from that wretched hive of scum and villainy?

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Desire Each Other

What they should get is an all-expense multi-year staycation at either ClubCal or ClubFed not a pink parachute.

8. Nick Ryan Silver badge
    Stop

Here we go again...

This will produce yet more steady "improvements" which require any hapless game player to have a Microsoft Account, subscribe to whatever bullshit "Microsoft XBox Zune Gaming Bar Interface (TM)" foists on all unlucky users and so on. Essentially, a long term play to ensure subscribers, no matter how they are generated. If in the meantime the games as developed and sold make a profit, that's good, and promote Windows, that's better, but it's the continual subscription fees that Microsoft are after.

Did Activision Blizzard have any Linux support pending? This will quietly disappear soon enough...

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Re: Here we go again...

Prepare for a load of titles to vanish off Steam. Make no mistake, Steam's foray into Windows-free gaming will be stopped.

9. Falmari Silver badge
    Devil

Wow

I look forward to the next expansion for WoW. Where players will have to journey to the once fair isle of Redmond and free it from the demonic evil that now blights the isle.

Once there, players will have to fight their way to the centre of the isle and descend into the pit of DLL Hell for the final raid. There they will have to defeat hordes of daemon DLLs and the daemon gatekeeper Bill to throw open the very gates of DLL Hell.

Before they can face the Lord of DLL Hell the Arch Daemon BSOD and banish him from the Isle of Redmond for ever.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow

"...once fair isle of Redmond..."

"...once many fair fares isle trap of Redmond..."

2. Michael Habel

Re: Wow

And, praytell us what Mr Vax, has to do with M$ again? Last I heard he palmed his shares off to Monkey Boy B-17 Balmer. Though the thought of some App sreaming DEVLOPERS DEVLOPERS DEVLOPERS before unleashing his zergrush upon you, does seem like it would be worth a cuckle or two.

10. heyrick Silver badge

Billion?

Seriously? Billion? Sixty eight beeelion? Christ, that's more than the GDP of many countries!

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Billion?

Don't worry, no one will notice it amongst the treeelions on the Fed's balance sheet, which is how this was actually paid for.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Billion?

And is it really worth ten times as much as Zenimax?

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Charlie Clark Silver badge

This acquisition has been brought to you by quantitative easing

That's right: the Fed has been buying bonds right left and centre for years. For many companies that has been the same as giving them the cash, though it was supposed to provide liquidity.

13. Dave559 Silver badge

He slimed me…

(Yes, I am very much showing my age by this…)

14. Howard Sway Silver badge

all-cash transaction valued at an eye-popping $68.7bn

So they need to make about $10 profit from every single person on the planet to break even.....

Games are popular, but not THAT popular. And paying all cash means they can't even write off any losses, surely?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: all-cash transaction valued at an eye-popping $68.7bn

You underestimate the amount of people willingly paying for DLC, microtransactions, loot boxes, NFTs (coming soon), and all the rest of the evil stuff Activision uses their games as vehicles to push. Activision's 2020 profit was $5.8bn, it will pay for itself in less than a decade.

1. Howard Sway Silver badge

But surely now they're owned by Microsoft they won't be pushing any evil st........ erm, you may have a point.

2. Michael Habel

Assuming there is a plafrom for them to seel the crap their pedling. I lament the fact that M$ now basicly own both Spyro, and Crash Banicoot now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Games are popular, but not THAT popular.

In North America alone the games industry is bigger than movies and sports combined.

15. ShadowSystems
    Joke

MineCraft+MineSweeper+Diablo+WarCraft...

Brings us the MineWorld of DiabloCraft Sweeper-as-a-Service for only $9.99 per person per month for eternity!

An MSN account is required, as is a permanent broadband connection directly into your brain for the delivery of personalized ads & mandatory updates to ensure proper brainwashing.

Now hold still while the nice NeuroSurgeon installs this tiny little DirectNeuralInterface. Don't worry about the chainsaw noises, this won't hurt the doctor at all...

*Screen goes black to reduce the amounts of projectile vomiting*

Thank you for subscribing. We at Microsoft appreciate your business. And now for your first interactive advertisement, here comes Clippy!

"Hi! I'm Clippy, the newest Sales & Marketing spokesclip at Microsoft. It looks like you're trying to claw out your brand new DNI. That's a violation of the Terms of Service you agreed to. The following electrocution is just our way of encouraging a pleasing user experience. You're welcome!"

*ZapZotZorchScorch*

"It looks like you're busy flopping around on the floor. Would you like a hand? *Applause* Very nice! I give you a 6.8 out of 10 for floppyness. Now, shall we proceed to the ads?"

*Screen fades to black as abject screams akin to a Vogon poetry reading dopplers into silence*

This vision of your gaming future brought to you by the makers of MindBleach. What Has Been Seen Can Not Be Unseen, but it can be muted to unrecognizable haze!

Pint

Re: MineCraft+MineSweeper+Diablo+WarCraft...

Are you ok, old chap? Thought I was reading AMFM1’s markov-chain stuff for a moment there. You’re better than that. Have a beer, take a deep breath.

2. Michael Habel

If you allow this.... You only have yourself to blame. if this is the furture of gaming.... (PROTIP: It isn't"), then its time to take up another hobby, like Model Trains, or reading. (If anyone remebers either).

1. MJI Silver badge

Do you realise how expensive a hobby that is?

Or how time consuming?

Been working on a few etched brass carriages at the weekend. Each work out at £50 to £55 each with wheels.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So something else for Microsoft to fuck up.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Considering the husk of nothingness that once was Blizzard I cannot see how much more they can fsck up....

17. Lucy in the Sky (with Diamonds)

It will be a mess...

I have installed Forza Motorsport 7, pretty much solely so that I can set times on the Top Gear Track.

Being a Microsoft Windows 10 game, it is what Microsoft considers to be an “App”.

In my book, an “App” is what kids have on their phones, you know, tiny, trivial little things, unlike Forza 7 at 148GB, which is what might be called a full-on proper program.

Yet, being an app, Microsoft insists in installing it in my profile folder, under WindowsApps by default, instead of my nice dedicated games drive, along with every other game I have. Sure, I managed to bypass it, but it was a hassle.

I’m guessing, from here on out every Activision/Blizzard game will want to install to the profile folder as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It will be a mess...

Just mount your game drive as a folder in your profile folder.

1. Lucy in the Sky (with Diamonds)

That would make me a collaborator, and I will be shot by the resistance...

No, Microsoft will have to bend to my will...

;o)\

2. J.Teodor

Alternatively, you could change the location where MS Store installs the game. https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=https%3A%2F%2Flmgtfy.app%2F%3Fq%3Dchange%2Bmicrosoft%2Bstore%2Bgame%2Binstall%2Blocation

3. Michael Habel

Oh the days when you actually had to count the bits in your "program" seresly .2TB for a car game?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to bring back Infocom....

So MS now owns Infocom through the Activision purchase. Time to bring back Zork in text form to stop me playing Far Cry....?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People are acting like Activision Blizzard is a little indie game studio being taken over by an evil corporation. Activision Blizzard *is* an evil corporation - it went down the pan years ago.

Activision Blizzard is bad, there is no talent left because they keep firing them to keep costs down to maximise profit and at the same time have apparently fostered one of the most toxic workplaces around.

I hope they boot Kotick out the door and install one of their MS Game Studios heavy hitters, and start investing in dev talent. Look at Rare, they're doing well and still have their own voice. I hope that this turns the Blizzard studios around a bit, because they've been mediocre at best for years.

1. Plest Silver badge

MS just want the IP, they don't give a crap about which company provides it. Act-Blizz is now quite toxic but names like Treyarch and Raven still carry some cachet but even that's fading fast due to who owns them.

2. Michael Habel

Yes because sans the Conker remake for the OG XB, M$ have done so much with Rares IP.

20. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

With every new game I see on the iPad that piques my interest, I go straight down to the 'in-app purchases' section. If it's got items like "10 gems", "100 gems", "a bucket of gems", "a room full of gems" etc range from £0.79 to £59 or something, I just don't download the game. I assume that it's going to have the sort of gameplay that means if you want to progress, you need to keep buying stuff.

Some games have options like 'first 10 levels free' and you can unlock for a fixed fee, or even an annual or monthly fee (if it's small), but I just think that any game that forces you to keep purchasing larger and larger items is being greedy.

21. SodiumChloride

MS account

If they require a MS account to use the existing games that will be the end of it for me.

Thumb Up

Re: MS account

Allow me to go further:

“ If they require a MS account to use the existing games that will be the end of it for me.”

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

QA - Acquisition stuff

Any one here with knowledge about an such an acquisition stuff like this, i wanted to know:

Who has the final right to co-determination and decision-making after a company acquisition to the projects, IP’s, employees, etc..?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kotick out

Hopefully.

He's really not done any favor to Activision nor Blizzard. Neither gamers.

I'm not seeing any bad thing from this acquisition. MS is looking to be a big gaming company.

24. Binraider Silver badge

Activision's long history has produced occassional hits, many turkeys, and made a lot of money irrespective of quality or morals. As such they are a great match for the culture of MS.

MS getting their hands on Bethesda, and therefore DOOM was in many respects one more story in the death of a particular style of PC gaming. Today, I find the efforts of small developers far more enticing than corporate sludge. Go and get factorio, now, if you haven't already.

Windows 95 was certainly influenced by DOOM. The stories of deathmatch on MS' internal networks are the stuff of legend. But the brutal efficiency of DOOM's code are the antithesis of everything that Windows is. Doom3's source code is fantastically readable, which is an incredible achievement for such a complex system.

25. Plest Silver badge
    Pint

Support indy studios

Indy studios give a monkey's unlike the triple-A studios that are just interested in milking cash tired, dying franchises and microtransactions, and of course now NFTs!!

ExaPunks and Shenzhen I/O, superb programming/logic games that are fun but also keep the noodle functioning learning bassic assembler. I love the Zachronics games.

You have TuringComplete where you build and entire simulated computer starting with a single transister.

Duskers, simple 8bit graphics where you use command line to drive droids around derelict space craft, there's very little sound and it's quite unnerving to use your imagination as you never see what's lurking in the space hulks.

My wife and I play The Forest and Raft in co-op, survival games are mostly indy studios.

OK, I admit I like a little FarCry5 and Assassins Creed Syndicate, mooching around Victorian London with the skills of a ninja! So the much hated Ubisoft get some of my cash but they're old games now.

26. MJI Silver badge

Not sure if I have any Activision games.

I had one which WAS Activision, but looks like none of mine are.

Around half of big games I have are first party, at least they are safe. But of the rest mainly Ubisoft, EA, Gearbox, and Bethesda

I expect future Fallouts will not be available but would they be any good anyway?

As others have said not happy with Sony shutting down a few of their studios (Motorstorm was brilliant).

1. Michael Habel

Re: Not sure if I have any Activision games.

I think I still have a copy of Pitfall for the 2600 somewhere at my mothers house. AFAIK, that was the only Activision game I ever had..

27. original_rwg
    Unhappy

QA & Testing

Buying Activision Blizzard for $68bn may well make some people quite happy but given the last weeks debacle with updates they could spend a fraction of that on some decent QA and make a lot more people happy.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: QA & Testing

"but given the last couple decade's debacle with updates they could spend a fraction of that on some decent QA and make a lot more people happy."

FTFY

28. rwill2

At least they won't repeat killing Tex Murphy with Access again

For those fans ... they killed off classic PI adventure game with Tex after buying Access to focus on golf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex_Murphy#Hiatus_and_revival

For those who have not seen it 1st CD ROM version used 3D + FMV shots way ahead of it's time a short trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbaUReyXtC8

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like