back to article Weed dispensary software company's ambitions pruned after Spotify trademark clash

It's back to the drawing board for a cannabis dispensary software company after an attempt to register the trademark "Potify" attracted the ire of music streaming platform Spotify. According to an opinion [PDF] from the US Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), which rejected its registration application and found in favour …

1. Victor Ludorum
    Facepalm

What a bunch of dopes

See title

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: What a bunch of dopes

Yeah, a complete pain in the grass...

2. hoola Silver badge

Maybe they have been sampling the merchandise.......

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Holmes

sampling? Looks like they were on a long binge, and the final braincell came up with the name...

Sherlock as he's bogarting the pipe!

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Well then

Maybe "The Big Sleep"? (or "Cannablanca")

I did hear that to "bogart" is said to be cannabis slang for taking more than your share. I wonder if it is really the case.

1. Andy Baird

Re: Well then

"I did hear that to 'bogart' is said to be cannabis slang for taking more than your share. I wonder if it is really the case."

Yes, it is, or at least was in the Sixties. See Fraternity of Man's 1969 hit "Don't Bogart That Joint":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ifjIAoleI

3. Stoneshop
      Headmaster

Their first attempt at a brand name has gone totally to pot.

4. ShadowSystems

Not to be too blunt about this, but it looks like their plans have gone up in smoke.

*CoughCoughCough*

Sorry, looks like I got a bit greedy there for a second. =-)p

2. Steve K

WeedWork?

They could take Pot Lick and try WeedWork

1. goldcd

Idal was the best I could come up with

(Tidal and weed-related laziness)

But prefer your Weedwork

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Tromos
    Joke

They could try 'iPot'. Can't think of anyone who would object to that.

1. Kane
      Holmes

"They could try 'iPot'. Can't think of anyone who would object to that."

You're smoking it wrong.

4. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

Just a few ideas

MicroPot

Potosoft

iWeed

Potacle

Potter

Potbook

Weedbook

TikPot

Potazon

Amapot

I'm sure all of these names would be fine for them to use. No objections anywhere...

1. Fred Daggy Silver badge
      Go

Re: Just a few ideas

Hewlett-Pottard?

International Pot Machines

InstaGrass

MySpliff (a very old site)

Wikipotia

... and of course the famous switching company, CisGrowYourOwn (and their SoHo offshoot, LinkSpliff)

1. Fred Daggy Silver badge

and all stored in the Tupperweed.

2. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
      Holmes

Bong ( As in MS Bing ).

1. Outski
        Pint

Steve & มาลัย have already got that one

5. Mark White

Potiphar... had very few cares

1. Steve K
      Coat

Can't say Pharaoh than that

Can't say Pharaoh than that...

6. Stoneshop
    Coat

They should take

a potshot at another name.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they added abusive swearing to their software, they could call it Potty Mouth.

(sorry, that's the best I can do for a Thursday)

8. Santa from Exeter

Trend Following

As it's intended to give ratings, they could just follow a well know trend and call it -

Pot-u-Like

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: Trend Following

Pot-Я-Us

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"The 'Potify' branding as shown in the document looks pretty much like Spotify's"

What a bunch of morons. You see Spotify and, in a cloud of weed, you think you're a genius by just removing "S" and keeping everything else ?

You deserve a stiff fine.

Idiots.

Then again, what can you expect from a bunch of weed-addled morons ?

1. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

Re: "The 'Potify' branding as shown in the document looks pretty much like Spotify's"

Totally wish I saw your post before I blurted mine. As a long-form herbalist, I can only agree with your hardline but fair analysis.

Too many flakes in my community and not enough roots, y'know?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The 'Potify' branding as shown in the document looks pretty much like Spotify's"

"what can you expect from a bunch of weed-addled morons"

I am reminded of the Mark Twain quote...

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

1. Outski

I always thought that was Oscar

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

If, with the literate, I am impelled to try an epigram,

Each of them, at least half of their quotes - aren't! ;-)

3. Kane
      Trollface

"Then again, what can you expect from a bunch of weed-addled morons ?"

...Pours a stiff brandy...

10. disgruntled yank

Or

The could call it Potifex and go to law with the Vatican.

1. ShadowSystems

Re: Or

They might get in trouble with the constant cloud of white smoke being confused for the naming of a new Pope. =-Jp

1. pavel.petrman

Re: Or

I once got told off for confusing church people, pecause I chose the pope-voting day for fine tuning the fuel injector on my 1988 air cooled Tatra 16 litre V 10. The chruch goers who saw the thick black cloud accused me of spreading bad news...

11. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

Pot Pot Go.

But for serious, this sort of thing really doesn't speak well to the rest of the potheadded community. The norms already think we're flakes, why avow stupidity?

How hard is it to name such a service "Mulcher" and stand on your own merit? We're stoners, we're not necessarily illiterate.

*sigh*

...this is why I'm no fun at parties.

1. Kane

"The norms already think we're flakes, why avow stupidity?"

Think of it as a spotify of free publicity.

The company probably already has an actual real name, logo, branding and suchlike already lined up and ready to go. If they have a bit of spare cash for marketing/advertising etc, why not take a punt and attempt to register a new company trademark that is strikingly similar to another well known brand, that is entirely unlike the product/service they are offering.

After all, we're here talking about it after an article in the press, aren't we? How much longer would it have taken to raise the profile of a fledgling software company without a little free press?

You nailed it, corndog. Tactically, the whole manoeuvre is a play at low-hanging meta-fruit. Damn stoners have weaponized philosophy. Or ontology.

On the other hand, Meta-Fruit could be another name for their dalliances--

Blast! They already have us doing their nefarious bidding! It isn't pot, it's mind control! Sneaky greenleafed bastards...

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Nailed it indeed. Just checked, they're still calling themselves Potify but are using a logo that looks nothing like Spotify's. (Bit boring though – at least the original was decent visual pun.)

12. Chris G

From Dictionary .com:

The origin of pot has nothing to do with the culinary tool. The word came into use in America in the late 1930s. It is a shortening of the Spanish potiguaya or potaguaya that came from potación de guaya, a wine or brandy in which marijuana buds have been steeped. It literally means “the drink of grief.”

So the Spanish pronunciation of potiguaya would sound a lot like potify.

Prior art?

1. fxkeh

weird pronounciation

how much potación de guaya do would have to consume to pronounce "guaya" as "e-fi"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: weird pronounciation

Well, how much have you got?

13. Andy Landy
    Coat

some suggestions

facebud

instaganj

skunk skunk go

...i'll get my coat

14. ShadowSystems

Potemon: Gotta smoke 'em all!

*Runs away before someone smacks me*

15. spireite Silver badge

PotGoesTheWeedle ..... surely

16. Tom 7

Deliveron

I'm sure Deliveroo wont mind them being just before them alphabetically,

17. x 7
  18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Give them a break. They were imbibing when they came up with the name, and I guarantee they were rolling on the floor, laughing, and thinking it was the most brilliant idea in all time.

Its just a bad pun, but when you're blazed, I guess even the lowest forms of humour are hilarious and worthy of a trademark attempt. *LOL*

I resemble that remark, sir, and I demand, I say I demand satisfaction. And may I also say that one day the world will tremble at the awesome power of my plans for...

Edible drinkware?!? Wait-- is what I've scrawled on this discarded candy wrapper accurate?

I move for a brief recess.

19. ravenviz Silver badge

Skunkworks

1. chrisw67

Lockheed Martin "Skunk Works" would likely have words in the US.

The Novita Group holds the "Skunkworks" mark in Australia after Lockheed Martin lost in court.

20. EnviableOne

Potface420

21. Anonymous Coward
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nah, man, Obama left the building... no reefer in Da House no more, not with the new occupants. :)

22. skeptical i

the Pot-emkin Village ...

... all smoke and mirrors.

One presumes they will be soliciting investment, and the talk is always bigger better faster than the reality.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like