back to article Another day, another ERP project behind schedule: This time it's Norfolk County Council and an Oracle system

Norfolk County Council will have to wait a bit longer for that a-ha moment when it finally turns on its new £18m cloud-based Oracle ERP system as the go-live date is delayed until April. Expected to accrue between £20m and £31m in savings over 10 years, the project joins a list of local authorities with late-running enterprise …

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

of integrated AI, chatbots and machine learning within ERP

They forgot blockchain !

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am i the only one that assumed Norfolk Council was still using abacus' and paper ledgers, amazed they even have computers?

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Joke

I'm sure that Norfolk only exists so that El Reg can make jokes about them having Norfolking clue.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Coat

Don't Diss Norfolk!

2. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Well, they certainly won't be counting on their fingers.

1. Dave@Home

Why not, Hexadecimal is a perfectly valid system?

3. Tim99 Silver badge

NFN (Normal for Norfolk)

Sorry to rain on your meme, but…

My father was the Treasurer of a Norfolk Council when documents were still hand written or typed. He was responsible for the installation of one of the first local authority systems (in the mid/late 1960s, Burroughs?). It’s main job was to look after the rates, and pay bills and salaries - It worked. I was just getting into science/technology then, and was allowed to go and see it working in its own room. The manufacturer was sufficiently pleased that it was used as a reference site, and for some reason "gave" them an ANITA calculator to "check everything was OK" - I think that cost about £400. He took early retirement when local authorities were reorganised in 1973 (Redcliffe-Maud). He predicted that the new large authorities would become an inefficient bureaucratic mess, so he grabbed the pension and left. When he left he was allowed to buy the ANITA for £5 and was still using it in 1991.

1. Dabooka

Re: NFN (Normal for Norfolk)

Liked for the ANITA calculator.

Still got it?

1. Tim99 Silver badge
          Unhappy

Sorry, no. I looked for it after his death, but couldn’t find it.

1. Dabooka
            Unhappy

Oh lordy, so sorry to hear that.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprise, surprise ..... yet another cost overrun :)

Anyone noticed that they can 'estimate' the cost saving ..... (usual 'wet finger & stick in air' method).

Yet, they are unable to estimate the cost of the overrun, which is more important as it is 'real' money being paid now !!!

That squeaking noise you can hear is the sound of the 'cost savings' being squeezed down and down as reality overcomes the 'Reality distortion field' that accompanies all govt contracts.

:)

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Surprise, surprise ..... yet another cost overrun :)

The only reality is the increase in council tax for the poor sods (that's you and me*) who are at the end of the chain.

* me especially as Norfolk Cunty** Council as the ones I pay my council tax to.

** typo (deliberate)

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well, they're not actually "estimating" the cost savings, they're just repeating what the marketroid told them.

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

And these sooper-dooper consultants can even estimate savings to within +/- 22%.

Of course it's irrelevant. We all know that they are going to lose a fortune on a disastrously unreliable system. They always do.

4. David Glasgow

Not a rhetorical question

... and just beermat figures, why do things like this cost £18,000,000?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Not a rhetorical question

You'd need an Oracle to tell you that.

2. Korev Silver badge
      Holmes

To distinguish between the Haves and the Have Yachts

3. Dave314159ggggdffsdds Silver badge

"why do things like this cost £18,000,000?"

How much would you have to be paid to contract with a council? Take everything you've ever heard about ridiculous government contracts, add complete idiots who aren't even good enough at their games to be MPs, it's bound to be a complete disaster. There is always an additional cost with clients known to play silly buggers, and in this case it's 99%.

4. czechitout

£3m to implement and then £3m per year for licences, support and maintenance for five years.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Schadenfreude

Wait til April when karma bites schadenfreude in the aaS.

6. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Bootiful Bernard Matthews will be suing...

As he has the patent on all Turkeys from Norfolk.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like