back to article Logitech Signature M650: A mouse that will barely emit a squeak or a clickety-click

Peripherals purveyor Logitech's Signature M650 is its latest take on a workplace mouse, and The Register has a raked a talon over one. The Signature range comes in three colours – graphite, rose, and off-white. We were given the white left-handed version (the buttons are on the right-hand side – the image below is of the right …

1. Adrian 4

Do those soft rubber surfaces still go sticky after a few years or is that problem fixed these days ?

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Glad it isn't just me that's noticed that! Although in my case the plastic never seemed to be soft rubbery stuff when new you have to pry it off your hand now. Kind of like the grip on my tennis racquet is supposed to, but somehow, doesn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Happened to my old Canon SLR. It's in a box in the attic with some other no longer used photographic kit; I delved in the box to retrieve something I needed again and my hand brushed against this camera - yuk! Brushed on some talc to try and dry it off but I fear it will probably end up in the bin.

2. KarMann Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Add me to the list. I've had my MX Ergo trackball a few years now, and completely love it, except for this one 'feature'. I was a bit taken aback to see the author saying that as though the rubbery stuff were preferred over the plain plastic, given my experience, so came in here to say pretty much just that. In my particular case, by the way, not just sticky, but bubbly, but I am cursed with especially noxious hand sweat, so that might be just me.

1. Sgt_Oddball

I've got a mechanical keyboard..

With the same problem. Had to scrape the worst off so I could actually use the damn thing. My steel series mouse does the same but at least it just blistered rather than went sticky..

I almost wonder if it's intentional using 'soft-touch' stuff that makes things horrible to use but not actually broken?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the sweaty hands thing.

I use the MX Ergo (and various other Logitech trackballs since probably the late 90s). In my experience, that 'sticky' surface which develops on the rubber is crud from your hands. It can happen with Sky remote controls and any other rubberised device that is handled (especially held) for lengthy periods. If left too long, it becomes a brown-ish, semi-glossy coat!

I find it worse in summer when you're likely to be sweating more.

I wipe mine down with a tissue and (of all things) Autoglym every couple of weeks. Usually when I take the trackball out to remove any crud on the support bearings

1. goldcd

It's most definitely the surface breaking down (in some cases)

I had a cheap infrared thermometer that's got black rubber over-molding over yellow (looks like a DeWalt tool) - randomly picked it up a week ago and rubber stuck to my hand (consistency of a thick caramel). Didn't slowly deteriorate - was fine for years and now I can pull bits off it with my fingers.

Much older real DeWalt stuff like my drill - still absolutely fine.

No idea what the difference in the chemistry is - but there is one.

3. Gordon 10

Sticky rubber side bits have not been a problem on my 4.5 year old MX Anywhere 2 (AMZ edition)

1. spireite Silver badge
        Joke

Depends which websites you browse I guess

4. Stumpy

I find giving them a wipe down with a piece of kitchen paper moistened with Isopropyl alcohol (or surgical spirits) tends to get them back into fighting shape and removes the stickiness.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

IPA all the way...

Was about to suggest isopropyl alcohol as well. It usually leaves a smooth surface, so you've lost the rubbery coating, but then you'd already lost that anyway.

(Disclaimer; no liability accepted for damage nor pets teleported to alternate dimensions as a result of this advice, and obviously you should take care that the IPA doesn't damage anything else on whatever you're using it on).

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Re: IPA all the way...

First thing I thought of was meths, if anything it made things worse. I doubt IPA would be any different, it seems to come out of the plastic itself rather than due to surface contamination.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

In my experience meths do not always work the same as IPA. The difference is subtle and often not noticeable, but when it comes to sticky stuff like this it does matter in my experience. Recently cleaned some old film cameras (90's era) and meths didn't work to get the horrible sticky gunk that remained of the "rubberised" grips off. IPA just dissolved the rubbery goop and remove it from the surface without much trouble.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

(OP you were replying to here)

I can only speak from experience from the few cases I've tried it with, but IPA did work for me and- as mentioned- left the smooth underlying plastic apparently intact.

2. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

Bad advise, I just tried a bottle of India Pale Ale and it did not help at all. Maybe I need something stronger, I have a bottle of Laphroaig around here somewhere...

1. pavel.petrman

I find applying Laphroaig on the reception side of the smooth plastic surface instead of the smooth plastic surface itself alleviates not only the primary problem but makes much more bearable, too, the inevitable putting up with whatever is brought about by using appliances coated with said smooth plastic surfaces.

2. Rob Daglish

You've obviously not used the IPA correctly.

Many, many problems are much better after the appropriate application of Laphroaig though.

2. Richard Crossley
        Joke

Technical Support

Wipe down your hands or the mouse? We need these technical details.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

I have the 510 with those rubber sides (slightly different design) and it's very easy to clean. Wet napkin. Done. In fact the 510 has almost all the same features and design and it's easy to clean and use. Just about the best mouse I've ever used.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've got an M510 and a couple M238, all in use for years, and none of them got any sticky rubber sides. So either they fixed the issue years ago, or it's down to a specific quality of the user's skin.

7. Piro Silver badge

That crap is the worst. I'm determined to avoid products with soft-touch plastic.

I have a corkscrew that is covered in soft-touch plastic. Despite it being left in the box and rarely ever used, it's sticky beyond belief, the colour comes off on one's hands, the thing is a disgusting disaster.

Also happens to mice, wacom styluses, whatever the hell else you can find with that crap on.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

At that RRP, look around for a deal on a Logitech MX Mobile, a mouse with some more desirable features. Free-scroll wheel, dark field laser, rechargeable battery, more versatile dongle etc

1. Gordon 10
      Thumb Up

Indeed you can get the Amazon flavour of the MX Anywhere 2 for £42 from Big River.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Thanks, MX Anywhere is the name I was looking for.

2. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Pint

Logitech Anywhere MX

Mine came via way of a terminated employee laptop & bag.

One good clean later........

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Logitech Anywhere MX

Blimey, did you have to "terminate" them just for a laptop and bag? Couldn't you just have bought them? And what did you do with the remains?

Anon, because...

3. Annihilator

Stop with the handedness!

I hate the straying away from ambidextrous mice. I just want a decent Darkfield mouse that I can use with my left or right hand (it's in a shared environment in the house, with both lefties and righties).

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Stop with the handedness!

To reduce strain on the wrist, you want a mouse that fits well into your hand this means almost inevitably left- or right-handed. An ambidextrous alternative is a trackpad.

1. Wormy

I've been using a Microsoft Bluetrack "Wireless Mouse 5000" (bought as part of the "wireless desktop 3000" or now 3050) for somewhere around 12 years now as my all-day every-day mouse for work. It doesn't really work on glass (biggest difference between bluetrack and darkfield), but works on pretty much everything else. I generally get about a year out of a set of batteries (again, using it 8+ hours/day 5 days a week, on average, though ironically my battery light just came on as I write this), it's ambidextrous, and though it has some rubberized surfaces on the sides I've never had them go sticky or weird on me.

I've bought several of them due to having multiple places I wanted to use them (home, work, wife's computer, etc.), but I don't believe I've had one actually go bad.

Oh, and even though it's Microsoft hardware, it works just fine and dandy on Mac and Linux also... just in case anyone was wondering.

1. Graham 32

Happy 5000 user here too. It's a big mouse which fits my (left) hand much better than the super tiny mice most people produce these days. Has a good weight to it too.

It does pick up some dirt on the side/back rubber part but hasn't gone sticky on me like some other devices. I've had a few of these mice too. The rubber on the wheel is what fails for me: one stretched and I had to cut it and glue it to the plastic wheel. Another the rubber just crumbled after a few years. Latest one about 5 years old and still problem free.

Re other comments here about sweaty hands causing the stickiness problem on rubberised surfaces: I had a rubberised cdrom drive that went consistently sticky all over, so the stickiness can happen on parts that are never/rarely touched.

2. Cederic Silver badge

Depends if you're a finger or palm mouse user. Finger mouse users are fine with ambi mice, and indeed I find them more comfortable - with either hand.

Although I use a G903 (three of them), as a good mouse is worth investment, so I'm not best placed to comment on more affordable options

3. Annihilator

Perhaps, but I'm equally comfortable using a balanced mouse in either my left or right hand, and quite often swap between. Usually left handed for gaming, right handed for office work.

4. ske1fr
        Holmes

Reduce wrist strain all you like, then comes the "tennis elbow" because you're still moving that arm back and forth. Fnah, fnah yes, but I've been there and it hurts. And trackballs just wear out your thumb ligaments eventually. Been there too. Trackpads can help. RollerMouse ftw.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Sounds like the MX Anywhere is the only mouse to fit your bill, Darkfield and symmetrical shape.

1. Annihilator

Ooh I'll take a look at that, thanks - my only hesitation is whether it's too small or not (looks like it's meant to be a travel one)

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

It's OK to have two active mice at once

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It really bothers me when I see people screaming to have a product banned from production just because they don't like it or have use for it, or who take the very existence of the product as some bizarre personal attack.

There are so many variations on mice even from any one vendor that it boggles the mind. Surely out of all those options you can find something you like.

P.S. In the case of dual-user households, you can easily plug in two USB mice and use either under Windows 10. You can use as many "pointer" devices as you have USB ports...

And in direct response to your title:

Stop with the homogenization of society and hardware! We are NOT all "average" or "normal"...

1. Annihilator

Not sure I asked for this stuff to be banned... Or whether you think Logitech would see this flippant moan and suddenly remove all their right handed products. You're right though, I'm sorry, I'll conform to societal norms and use my right hand for a mouse from now on. Sincere apologies for being part of the 1 in 10 that is left handed.

"There are so many variations on mice even from any one vendor that it boggles the mind. Surely out of all those options you can find something you like."

For right handed users, yes. So no, the mind boggliness disappears as soon as you apply that one filter.

4. Fazal Majid

After a brief dalliance with a Logitech M330 Silent Plus wireless mouse, I've gone back to a wired and cheap £10 B110S, buying a little gamer stand thing that elevates the cable so it doesn't drag on the desktop (and costs more than the mouse itself).

My experience with both Bluetooth and USB receiver mice is that after a few months the receiver starts acting up and the mouse skips. The simpler mice also work without needing you to install awful software on your computer to cause random crashes. As for the rubberized coatings, they are made of incompletely polymerized plastic painted on a hard plastic shell and will invariably disintegrate over time, instead of being made of silicone. Let's face it, these are inexpensive peripherals designed to last a year at best.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

Since you mention software, I was appalled to find out the software to setup the multi-device buttons on my K780 was a 278mb download.

Why? It's a frigging keyboard, why does the driver software have to be so bloated...

5. demon driver

Nice, but...

... do they also make ergonomic ones? Vertical, that is. No one who once had mouse arm that healed after a few weeks of using a vertical mouse and never came back would ever go back to a normal mouse, let alone trackpads...

1. Casca Silver badge

Re: Nice, but...

Logitech MX Vertical Mouse. I have one and its great

6. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
  7. Gene Cash Silver badge

"distinctly cheap feel"

Yup, that's Logitech these days. I've got a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that first started refusing to pair with anything, and now refuses to charge. The Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard bought at the same time is still going strong.

8. confused and dazed
    Happy

Sticky ?

Buy an apple Magic Mouse - they're great

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Sticky ?

Gods no. Those are a total ergonomic disaster.

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: Sticky ?

You forgot the joke icon.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RRP of £39.99 ($39.99) might put some off

a couple of years ago I bought a (near) silent, wireless mouse, for a fiver. Still works fine, so...

10. imanidiot Silver badge

Nothing beats the MX Master imho

Not the cheapest but a much better mouse than the vast majority of what's out there. Also available in a vertical version.

My absolute favorite is the MX1000 that I've been using for going on 20 years now though. Which they could just make new ones of those. Bombproof, smooth mechanics, good responsiveness (even with the ancient wireless tech that it uses) and obviously lasts a LONG time. Only had to replace the battery at some point as the thing just couldn't handle a full days work anymore without blinking an angry red LED at me.

1. Tommy G1

Re: Nothing beats the MX Master imho

Same here. The Dark Field tech is brilliant.

I splashed out on an MX Master 3 recently and the scroll-wheel automatically switching from precision to free-wheeling seems incredibly gimmicky until you've been using it for a few weeks then move to another computer / mouse that doesn't have it. THEN you appreciate it!

2. DrXym

Re: Nothing beats the MX Master imho

I have an MX Master and it works pretty well. It fits in the hand, it doesn't accumulate much finger crud, it has a nice wheel (that you can flip between a clicky / smooth response), and a bunch of extra buttons if you need them. The thumb rest even has a button under it and a side wheel but I've never had reason to use them.

The main criticism in my model is that the signal range is crap so I have to put the dongle on the end of an extension cable on the edge of my desk because it can't talk when the dongle is under the desk and goes all jerky. Battery life is also kind of poor with time between charges being a few weeks tops so it needs charging quite often which isn't always convenient.

11. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Size-ist Meese, what next?

Their M650 L (L for Large) is 118mm long. I have an ancient MxX-518 mouse that is longer than that and that one is too small for my hands. Does anyone know of a mouse sized for Bear paws or hands that take 5XL gloves (21cm wrist to fingertip)? Not that it matters much as I mostly use a vertical mouse due to Carpal issues.

The Posturite Penguin Large is perfectly shaped for me, but it is unreliable, goes to sleep after a few minutes (yes, even the wired version) and the buttons are crap. Just ordered an Evoluent VMD (Large) so we will see how that works out. So far I am very unimpressed with all meeses since my ancient PS2 Microsoft Mouse. They all seem to be built down to a price.

1. ske1fr

Re: Size-ist Meese, what next?

I coped for a few years after the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome/ de Quervain's with a vertical mouse, this was after I jiggered my thumb joint with a trackball. Eventually the wear and tear happened on my elbow joint. I have been doing this s...tuff for quite a while. My employer got me assessed and I was prescribed a RollerMouse. Uses your fingertips, left and right hands held palm down, with whatever wrist rest helps for support. Works for me, has extended my working life and will enable me to keep using computers after I retire!

1. Rob Daglish

Re: Size-ist Meese, what next?

I remember fitting one of these for someone in a call centre, and I'm thinking about one for myself, but I can't remember how well they work with multiple monitors?

12. OssianScotland

Old is good...

I'm still using several wired "Wheel Mouse Optical" meece, which seem as indestructable as Captain Scarlet and never have connectivity or battery problems.

One at least is near 20 years old.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like