back to article China puts Walmart in the naughty corner, citing 19 alleged cybersecurity 'violations'

American budget retailer Walmart was cited for 19 alleged cybersecurity breaches in China, state-sponsored media reported last week. Nanchang, China - February 14, 2021: Chinese customers buy imported products from all over the world at a Walmart Sam's Club. Sam's is one of the largest members-only stores in the world. …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Now the question is...

Does Walmart have more backbone than Intel, or will they back down?

1. JessicaRabbit

Re: Now the question is...

I think we both know the answer to that.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Mushroom

Any western business that does business in mainland China is tacitly accepting their human rights abuses, constant lies and suppression of minorities.

What's a few political prisoners as long as their bottom line is healthy?

1. Youngone Silver badge

Nonesuch is correct.

The vast American multinational I work for makes nearly $1 billion in profits every year from its various businesses in China and the shareholders would throw a huge tantrum if management put that in jeopardy.

None of them really care what China does as long as the money keeps rolling in.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

If you leave it up to the companies, they will base their decision on their bottom line. But it shouldn't be up to them.

Any country can ban all products made with materials from Xinjiang. But none are stepping to the plate.

Teddy Roosevelt once said "speak softly and carry a big stick" but today's politicians of all parties speak loudly and carry no stick.

1. hoola Silver badge

I think this is a good summary however part of the problem now is that China is so powerful, the stick has to be very large to have any impact.

Because so much of what the West (well everyone) needs, either components or complete goods relies on China, there is very little that can be done without huge investment or knock-on impact.

And therein lies the problem, both of this hit the bottom line, not just at a company level but potentially globally.

If, for instance the use of any electronic component manufacture in China was banned, there is simnply insufficient capacity elsewhere to make up the shortfall.

2. Triggerfish

To some degree I am also of the opinion its up to us. If there is no demand from consumers there is no reason to stock a supply, and if the trigger for no demand is: Where was this manufactured? Or how was it manufactured? Then there is no reason to stock the goods.

As much as we talk about companies showing questionable ethics by worrying about their bottom line, we also enable it if we do not become more discerning ethical shoppers. (I'll admit this is not always easy).

3. sanmigueelbeer
      Coat

Does Walmart have more backbone than Intel, or will they back down?

There's an often-used saying, "Money talks, bull***t walks".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Central Commission for Discipline Inspection

I'm sure there's a "Miss Whiplash" joke in there somewhere...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ulterior motives, stupidity and short-sightedness

Well, that's CCP is a nutshell. Subtle too.

4. Ilsa Loving

Poor product quality?

I guess this means they have to stop selling Chinese manufactured products?

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: Poor product quality?

But what would they then have to sell?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"a valid reason"

like being opposed to mass murder for profit (organ harvesting, hair, and so on)

or is being discriminated against for those crimes worse than the crimes themselves these days?

6. steviebuk Silver badge

Winnie the Pooh

At it again.

" as the western world generally maintains that members of China's minority Muslim Uyghur population are being detained in heavily surveilled internment camps and subjected to human rights violations. China denies accusations of abuses in the region."

All China has to do to prove this false is invite independent journalists to the region to take photos. But no. Every time they do and someone takes them up on the offer they are banned from filming and taking any photos.

The CCP are as guilty as sin. Winnie the Pooh is a fuck whit (why ban, make illegal, people from comparing Xi to Winnie the Pooh. Everyone loved Winnie the Pooh, he should of owned it). What's more annoying about the CCP is not only how racist they are but the fact they hate and ban western tech like YouTube, Twitter etc eith their great firewall, yet work for the CCP and you have full access to send platforms that you can freely abuse (as they do).

7. MachDiamond Silver badge

Product origins

There aren't too many online sites where the origin of the products are stated. At most, it will state the country, but not the region. China is huge and so is the US. Mexico is no tiny island nation either. The statement that gets my goat is when the package only states where it was packaged or the home of the company that is selling it. I just assume it's China in those cases and look for something else.

8. Blackjack Silver badge

I have seen their prices so I find hard to not believe they are not criminals.

9. AdmFubar

"It is reported that the public security organs discovered nineteen exploitable network security vulnerabilities "

public security organs?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like