back to article Going round in circles with Windows in Singapore

Some errors are descriptive. Some errors are misleading. And some errors… well, your guess is as good as ours. Welcome to another entry in our 12 Borks of Christmas. We venture abroad for today's example of sick signage, which has seen better days and is badly in need of an operating system upgrade. "Another fantastically …

1. spireite Silver badge

So, it's gone down the Tubes...

2. Clausewitz 4.0
    Devil

The dialog box is clearly photoshopped

Nobody noticed?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: The dialog box is clearly photoshopped

Don't be silly, of course it hasn't. Photoshops automation would've done a much better job. Clearly that was done with MS Paint, which, as with parking metres, is an essential part of the OS that must never be removed!

1. Steve Channell
        Windows

Out of memory in error handler

It's not photoshopped, it's a failure during exception recovery - probably DrWatson trying to write dump file, with a hard-disk failure

1. William Towle
          Holmes

Re: Out of memory in error handler

Nod.

My favourite Windows anecdote (for some time now, and may well remain so) involves an error dialog informing me of "Insufficent resources to", followed by another one stating it was "Out of".

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Trollface

It does look like someone took the eraser tool to it. Possibly this is a 5G COVID transmission station, and Big Government in league with Big Pharma leaned on the submitter to censor the error, which clearly must have been something incriminating about the nefarious nature of the device in question.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

It may look like that, but I have seen the Visual C++ runtime (various versions) produce dialogs with no text, just like this..

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Maybe so, but if you look properly at the image, the pasted over or erased background of the dialogue box is a different shade of grey and the right edge of the box doesn't line up properly. It does look very much like a poorly edited image or a quick erase by the OP or El Reg to blank out some potentially sensitive info. Or it's click-bait to spark off the conspiracy theorists :-)

1. Steve Channell

Appearances can be deceptive, pre-GPU the shadow was rendered by GDI after writing the the window box

3. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

A new low

in the helpfulness of Windows error messages.

I predict M$ will not stop at this. In 2022 we'll see a bork with a totally blank box.

4. Death Boffin
    Pint

Circling the Bowl

I've often had Microsoft errors where the only indication is an endlessly circling ring. Try getting info on what happened from that!

Anyway, Happy New Year!

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Anyway, Happy New Year!

Not if you are an admin for MS Exchange, it would seem...

https://www.neowin.net/news/y2k22-bug-microsoft-rings-in-the-new-year-by-breaking-exchange-servers-all-around-the-world/

No doubt this will be reported separately by ElReg. In the meantime, apologies for hijacking this thread.

Updated: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-releases-official-fix-for-y2k22-exchange-server-bug-that-was-causing-mail-jam/

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: Anyway, Happy New Year!

Was wondering if I would see coverage of this issue. Yeah, it made for an interesting New Year's Eve. And by "interesting," I mean "fuck you, Microsoft."

5. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

The dialog is censored...

...for the simple reason that the train company don't like to talk about things crashing.

===

When I worked for the London Underground Signal Engineering team on the Northern/Victoria line computerisation it was deeply frowned upon to say that the system had crashed.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: The dialog is censored...

Did it go down the tubes instead?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: The dialog is censored...

No it hit the buffers.

6. adam payne

and the system tray is a veritable rogues gallery, from the inevitable McAfee icon

Mcafee EPO...run for the hills

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      FAIL

Is that the ODBC icon I see? Oh Boy! Oh Joy!

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

Almost beats

The one Windows error I couldn't resist screen grabbing. Catastrophic Error: Group Policy.

However, the blank error is pretty impressive!

8. Martin an gof Silver badge

HarbourFront is a terminus for both the North East and Circle lines

How does a terminus on a "circle" line work then?

M.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: How does a terminus on a "circle" line work then?

Some would say that there's no point(s) at all.

===

I believe on the Glasgow Subway this was the case. Trains had to be lifted off the track by crane for maintenance. Nowadays there are points.

FWIW the renowned (nee round?) London Underground Circle line is now no longer circular - topologically speaking. It is now swiss roll shape with terminii at Hammersmith and Edgware Road. In the old days when it was "circular", Aldgate was a notional terminus. Aldgate was a natural choice for this purpose due to it being the only station on the line that was (sort of) exclusive to the Circle line, which meant that train crews could "layover" without holding up other services. The platform arrangement also enabled trains to overtake for operational reasons aka the service had become pear-shaped.

In the old days outer London Metropolitan trains were often scheduled to run through to Aldgate during the peak hours only (hence the "sort of" qualifier). Nowadays there is a regular through service all day to Aldgate.

9. PRR Silver badge

> ....very, very old version of Windows. The Start button hints at perhaps....

The start button is plain Windows 7. I'm looking at it now. Out-Of-Support but hardly as risky as letting a human use any computer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like