back to article Notes on the untimely demise of 3D Pinball for Windows

Veteran Microsoft developer Raymond Chen has revealed a bit more about what went wrong with the 64-bit version of Space Cadet Pinball. Space Cadet Pinball was a port of an old Maxis Software game that turned up in the Windows 95 Plus! pack. The Space Cadet table was ported by Dave Plummer (as part of a team working on bringing …

1. Doctor Trousers

Sure it might be too much of a relic to include as an official feature, but if the fixed 64 bit version exists, it seems a damned shame not to include it as an easter egg.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Except that MS don’t “do” easter eggs any more. I seem to recall the discovery and subsequent press coverage of a complete flight simulator hidden in Excel ‘97 was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

1. O RLY

They've had two regime changes since then - maybe it's time to try again :)

2. Binraider Silver badge

Funny, MS up to about 1997 largely consists of software I actually like. And still keep around for that matter

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

I'm hazy on dates, but much of Microsoft's descent into moral ambiguity, crap software and aggressive design changes seems to have its roots in the moment when they realised that the internet was going to be a big part of the future ( or indeed was already) and that they'd totally missed it. The sense of panic knowing that they were on the verge of irrelevance is still, I'd guess, a big part of their decision making

3. PenfoldUK

Space Cadet wasn't an "Easter Egg" as such. It was a standalone game, not buried in other software.

Played rather too much of it back in the day...

2. Alan Bourke

Easter eggs in operating systems

are not a good look when it comes to today's security landscape.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: Easter eggs in operating systems

I recall talking to somebody from Microsoft who said the US government were a deciding factor in killing the Easter Eggs. From memory he said that the US version of our UK CESG had raised serious objections when they saw them.

3. el_oscuro
      Devil

Oracle had an easter egg too

In about 97 or so, as part of a service request, I received a patch for an Oracle middle ware product on a CD-ROM. In addition to the patch, the CD had a directory called "sparky". So I check what was in that directory - and it had a complete enterprise edition of MS Office 95 - no license key required. Served my office needs for years.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"More important, though, is the fact that it's highly visually dated. When you see it next to Windows 11 it's pretty jarring."

And whose fault is that?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good vs. bad screen usage

"When you see it next to Windows 11 it's pretty jarring."

My take: "You fool, why did you update to Windows 11?"

BTW: I have a copy of Pinball I've moved from machine to machine. Because Windows 11, I'll have to give it up. Not because it won't run under Windows 11, but because I won't run under Windows 11.

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Re: Good vs. bad screen usage

" When you see it next to Windows 11 it's pretty jarring."

Said in jest? Surely it cannot show Windows 11 to be that bad ...

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

I thought seeing software running on Windows and doing some GUI archaeology to find out which period in the past it comes from was pretty normal for Windows, now it suddenly scares the customers.

3. Kev99 Silver badge

Another bit of circumstantial evidence that mictosoft rigged the win11 incompatibilities solely to help its sycophant hardware partners sell more boxes.

1. Numen

Supported hardware

I always figured that the short list of recent hardware for Windows 11 was due to how long Windows 10 has been around since mid-2015, and will be supported until 2025. Windows 11, released in late 2021, would likely be supported until 2031. (Just in time to handily miss the 2038 date problem.)

I suspect they don't want to support 2010 hardware until 2031. Cant say I blame them; most OS vendors do similar things, just not as poorly.

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Unhappy

The REAL motivation

"they" (Micros~1) wanted everything that was even REMOTELY a game to become adware or premium-ware available ONLY through "The Store", like they did with solitaire games, but "Modern": UI performed like CRAP - and so they DROPPED it because it actually LOOKS BAD UNDER UWP/TIFKAM.

Anyone else have a better explanation?

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: The REAL motivation

Oh my God!

I agree. Is it me?

My assumption has been for a while that MS want everything to arrive through the "Store". That they envy Google's control of phone apps and Apple's of their phone/tablet apps. With the cash flow and ad harvesting they can accrue.

And that is about the only thing that they do that seems to have any logic ( however malign) to it.

The rest, stupid design changes that worsen user's experience etc. is probably just internal politics and empire building --is my guess.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
        Trollface

You don't agree with him very convincingly - not once did you CAPITALISE random words IN YOUR reply!

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

OKAY no ONE'S perfect.

1. LybsterRoy Silver badge

How about 2s are they perfect, or should it be zeros that aren't perfect?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dictatos

Put it in you windows store, if it still exists, and let your customers decide if they want to play it; unles, of course, your operating system is a dictatorship

6. Joe Drunk
    Trollface

Space Cadet Pinball works just fine in x64

Thankfully there are coders more talented than mickeysoft's that are able to port it to modern operating systems.

https://github.com/k4zmu2a/SpaceCadetPinball

7. Blackjack Silver badge

There is a WINE for Windows that can run the thing. Heck there is even a fan made PS Vita port.

8. PenfoldUK

Windows 11 Upgrade?

I think this is the perfect opportunity for Microsoft to encourage uptake of Windows 11.

Make the 64-bit game available as a Windows 11 only feature.

Especially if they can adapt it so that it uses 12th Gen Intel P-Cores/E Cores to advantage. :-)

Thumb Up

Re: Windows 11 Upgrade?

Except that the Microsoft of present times would be unable to release the game unless it had adverts and DLC in it.

“Would you like to enable this flipper for the next 2 minutes for only 5 Microsoft Store Bucks?”

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge
        Stop

Re: Windows 11 Upgrade?

It's more likely that Microsoft's cunning plan would be to force install it into every copy of Windows 10 & 11, particularly the "professional" and "workstation" versions (which naturally need games), with administrators forced to "opt out" of this through obscure PowerShell commands that previously stopped working due to other Windows Updates, requiring that an administrator spend countless hours working around Microsoft's instructions on how to use Microsoft's commands in yet another custom Microsoft PowerShell library. Ideally the PowerShell commands will be as badly written as possible to ensure that scripting them is near impossible and the PowerShell library will feel like abandonware as soon as Microsoft coughed it out.

In parallel Microsoft would promote it mercilessly within Windows itself, because that's what the OS is there for. The game will be free at first and then switched to a monthly subscription mode afterwards, linked to Microsoft 365 accounts. The activation of this subscription will be at the end user's discretion and not any administrators and to prevent end users subscribing to this "service", administrators will have to "opt out" of this through obscure PowerShell commands that previously stopped working due to other Windows Updates, requiring that an administrator spend countless hours working around Microsoft's instructions on how to use Microsoft's commands in yet another custom Microsoft PowerShell library. The subscription will be something entirely "reasonable" like £2.99 per user per month.

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Bah!

In my opinion, there is no computer version that is even in the same ballpark as a real physical machine (see what I did there?)

It's the combination of sound, light and feeling that's the real deal - and that excludes the pseudo electronic ones. No, I want solenoids, relays and the active buffers that spark when the ball hits them making the circuit so they clamp and send the ball off at high speed in a totally unpredictable way.

In the mid 1960s I was part-time servicing them for a firm that rented them out to pubs etc. There were 3 or 4 of us youngsters (paid peanuts) and we just had a great time.

P.S.

They had three 'tilt' detectors. Two at 90 degrees that were small weights on sideways springs detecting thumps, and a vertical rod in a hole that detected lifting or rocking. We could test these but weren't able to set them - they had to be done in-situ.

1. veti Silver badge

Re: Bah!

And that's all fine, but nowadays no one wants to pay, even peanuts, for the loving care and frequent intervention those machines need.

I remember Space Cadet from W95, I spent probably too much time on it. It was a fun game. Obviously not like the real thing, but it did a decent job of simulating the random violence of bumpers.

It even had tilt detectors - I forget the details, but there was a button assigned to something like "nudge", and if you pressed it for more than about a quarter of a second you got a tilt.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

WinUAE and Pinball Dreams are all I need for my regular pinball fix.

11. Col_Panek
    Linux

Works fine in Linux

Well, I had to install the flatpak version in MX, but no issues

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Games..

Since Windows 10 (possibly earlier), I have to switch off the bloody games they keep trying to bolt on - Candy Crush, XBox, TikTok are three that I can remember from memory. Windows 11 was just the same.

Thumb Up

Re: Games..

Anyone with any sense installs Windows 10 (Home/Pro) offline, with networking disconnected. Then the very first thing to do is go to Personalization and turn off "show suggestions on Start Menu". Sounds so helpful and fluffy, doesn't it. Suggestions. Aaaw, how thoughtful. What they mean is "relentlessly auto-install shovelware crap that I neither asked for nor want", but I'm assuming that string was too long for the available space.

13. RAMChYLD

Even more tho...

It was practically a demo version of Full Tilt Pinball for Cinematronics.

14. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

Epic Pinball for DOS by Epic MegaGames

Many, many hours wasted in college running that on a Win95 machine. More time with that than GTA 1.

"Space Cadet" was okay, but not as good in many ways which compounded to an overall "meh".

1. Geoffrey W

Re: Epic Pinball for DOS by Epic MegaGames

If you, or anyone else, craves some retro 1995 pinball action then it's still around:

https://www.gog.com/game/epic_pinball_the_complete_collection

Well worth $6, though my RSI might disagree.

15. Dwarf

Open Source

If Microsoft don't want it any more, then release its source code and let the community decide what to do with it.

Oh, and use the same approach for anything else that falls into the AbandonWare category on Windows.

We promise not to critique your code, but we might choose to fix things we don't like.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like