back to article The year ahead in technology fail: You knew they were bad, now they're going to prove it

We've had nearly two years of the type of uncertainty that could make even the most avant-garde quantitative analyst fiddling with a risk management model weep. And now we're all on board for another trip around the Sun. There's a lot to say about the tech prospects of the next 12 months. First of all, processor wars are …

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Nothing to see

The Metaverse - the next 3D-TV

HDMI 2.1 - irrelevant

Windows 11 - still doesn't beat W7

NFTs - ways of relieving those with too much money, of their burden

1. devin3782

You missed one

Amazon Astro - A terrible waste of the worlds resources.

2. Chris G

Re: Nothing to see

@ Pete 2

You have stolen my comment.

As for Amazon Astro, "Everything you love about Alexa but on wheels" according to one blarbista, so my take is that it is not worth considering.

There is a shipload of other alleged innovations that could be flushed down the toilet of history along with the metaverse and friends in '22.

1. Little Mouse
        Flame

Was it just me that read "the self-propelled pyrobot"?

I'd definitely buy one of those....

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Trollface

pyrobot - the robot that halts and catches fire!

It could just be the capacitors...

2. Stoneshop
        Headmaster

There is a shipload of other alleged innovations that could be flushed down the toilet of history along with the metaverse and friends in '22.

You might want to look into disabling your spelling chequer; that fourth word shouldn't be written with the letter 'p'.

3. desht

"Everything you love about Alexa but on wheels"

So, just some wheels, then. I'll pass.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

HDMI isn't irrelevant, as now I have to wade through even higher levels of "it's not compatible and they won't tell you" when buying a monitor.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The empty set

I am seriously wondering how this virtual concert thing is going to work (not enough to buy a VR headset, or go to a Bieber concert).

I checked out the linked page (on EW, as in Eww) and it states that The Bieb will be present on scene virtually (so, sitting comfortably in his chair at home), lipsynching belting out his tunes to all connected, some of whom could be present on stage with him during "dedicated fan moments", with the possibility of "influencing" his performance.

Okay, live virtual concert programs are not exactly a hot item on GitHub, if I'm not mistaken, so that means that there's a group of programmers hard at work to make this possible. Not saying it can't be done, but it never has been done before so the possibility of bugs is rather high, IMO.

I wonder how they're going to work them out - supposing that they're going to try.

1. Totally not a Cylon
      Terminator

Re: The empty set

Has already been done. By a better performer than Bieber.....

Hatsune Miku has performed in both fully virtual concerts and 'live' on stage with actual human musicians.....

El Reg? can we have a cuter 'rise of the robots' icon for all the VTubers?

Trollface

a cuter 'rise of the robots' icon

I propose the same terminator skull face with cyan twin-tails.

2. Headley_Grange Silver badge

"I am seriously wondering how this virtual concert thing is going to work.."

Presumably you strap on the headset and all you can see is the back of the phone/tablet of the person in front of you as they record the entire fucking concert.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

The tricky part is getting your own phone inside your headset so you can record the experience.

3. Denarius

good Snark

Rupert,

well done article. Fully agree, for what its worth. Just like the Old Register. <sniff, wipe a tear>

4. Blofeld's Cat
    Coat

Hmm ...

Marketing Executive: "Sales of Windows 11 and that Astro thing are really taking off, money is just pouring in. Trebles all round."

Tech: "Sir, you're still wearing the Metaverse headset ..."

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: Hmm ...

Tech headsets are green, marketing headsets are red. That tech needs his mouth taped shut ASAP.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"To give you an idea of how much overkill this is, the bandwidth of the human optic nerve is roughly 20Mbps."

They'll probably mop up the spare capacity with DRM. Mmm - lovely DRM. Can't have too much of it.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: 20Mbps optic nerve

To be fair: A 20Mbps link would be sufficient if your computer knew which part of the screen you were about to look at, sent that part with lots of detail and used less and less detail for more distant parts of the screen. Even with that in mind, 48Gbps does seem a little generous.

The visual cortex interprets the signal from the optic nerve and forwards a much lower bandwidth data stream probably consisting of things like written words or the name associated with a face. Perhaps later we will be able to play monkey pong without a monitor.

6. eldakka

There's a whole world of music fans who'd seriously consider any technology, no matter how expensive, that could recreate being at a live gig right now, as would every performer on the planet.

This is obviously the market for the $2,500 Audiophiles Ethernet Switch and Audiophile SSD.

Seriously, how stupid are people?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Despite Rupert's misgivings One per Minute seems to be holding up well.

1. Chris G

One per minute

Perhaps it is some kind of biological constant?

If the birth rate drops low enough, the entire population could be idiots.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: One per minute

"If the birth rate drops low enough, the entire population could be idiots."

I think there could be hidden assumption in there..

Meh

you reminded me of the opening sequence for 'Idiocracy' where the DUMBEST people were the only ones actually breeding. That being the case, wouldn't a dumber population have a HIGHER birth rate? The sucker being born every minute rate would soon become an exponentially increasing sucker:unit-of-time ratio... as the population explodes into an 'Idiocracy'.

Brawndo - it's good for plants!

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

"It's got electrolytes!"

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Some nations are well on their way... :)

2. oiseau
      WTF?

... how stupid are people?

Audiophile SSD?

Hmmm ...

Quite obviously, very.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've seem to have fallen down an audiophile rabbit-hole after reading about the SSD.

Just reading a website called the "cable cooker" where you can condition or break in your cables to get the best sound quality. Only takes 2 to 5 days depending on cable type. AND you will need to do this every few months.

Can some one recommend a good flat earth site? Need to get back to the real world....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Can some one recommend a good flat earth site?

Wait - my earth wires needs to be *flat* to give the best sound? I guess you mean ribbon like?

I learn something new every day!

I shall change them over forthwith, or at least after someone finally recommends us a good site to buy some high quality flat earths from.

:-)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Can some one recommend a good flat earth site?

Don't laugh - someone I know has a mains lead which he uses on his (admittedly quite nice) guitar & keyboard amp which has 'flattened' multistrand cables encased in translucent blue PVC. It must be two inches wide (except where it goes into the mains plug and the IEC socket) and he seriously believes it improves the sound out of the amplifier.

2. oiseau
          Facepalm

Need to get back to the real world ...

Well ...

From what I've been seeing in the past 15/20 years, it seems that is the real world.

Up to the brim with legions of credulous idiots with more money than they know what to do with and/or an absolute lack of common sense with shysters/snake-oil salesmen/scam artists/ by the boatload waiting to convince them of something with some blatantly implausible claim.

Examples abound but are particularly numerous in the 'make money fast' category, from Nigerian lawyers with nameless inheritances to bitcoin.

This has probably been the case for ages, but thanks to the web reaching almost all corners of the globe, it has become much more visible to us.

Such is the world we live in these days.

O.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It looks pretty - so therefore must help with the quality of all those ones and zeros....

An interesting read, even if it's complete smoke and mirrors!

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Facepalm

Some marketeers are SO good at what they do, they could sell ICE MAKERS to people who live in a permanently frozen climate. That being said, they could ALSO convince people that Windows 10 (or 11) is better than other operating systems...

(Audiophile overpricing seems minor compared to that LAST thing I mentioned)

7. oiseau
    Facepalm

Shame? Not needed

The best we can hope for in 2022 is that this side of Microsoft dies. from shame."

There you go.

More like what most of us need.

Cheers,

O.

8. big_D Silver badge

New Dell Laptop...

I set up 4 new Dell Latitude laptops before Christmas...

They have the latest Dell image (Windows 10 20H2, yes, you read that right, not 21H1 or 21H2, but 20H2... Or Windows 11!).

It boots up and asks, reasonably, if you want Windows 10 or Windows 11... We are sticking with Windows 10 for the foreseeable future, so I selected Windows 10. The next screen was REALLY as per the skit in the article, "But Windows 11 is so pretty, please take Windows 11!, pretty please!" NO, or I would have selected it on the first screen!

It is the same as the Microsoft Account question. "Do you want to sign on with a Microsoft Account or join a domain?" Domain, thanks. "But, a Microsoft Account has so many advantages!" NO!

Microsoft seem to be making the first set-up as hostile as possible and when you give an answer they don't like, they'll ask you again, "just to make sure," because you are just a dumb user and you probably clicked on the wrong button, didn't you? NO I BLOODY WELL DIDN'T, now, just get on a do what I say!

1. oiseau
      Facepalm

Re: New Dell Laptop...

It boots up and asks, reasonably, if you want Windows 10 ...

Reasonably?

That was when you should have said NO. 8^D

Cheers,

O.

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Is there any particular reason why Windows versions are starting to resemble flu strains?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Coat

The new numbering system is for the birds!

2. PeterM42
        Trollface

"Is there any particular reason why Windows versions are starting to resemble flu strains?"

Probably the same reason that people used to ask "What is the difference between IE and a Virus?"

Answer: You can get rid of a virus.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

when you give an answer they don't like, they'll ask you again, "just to make sure,"

This reminds me a bit of those Apple vs PC ads - "Cancel or Allow"

And I recall the 'Microsoft Account' part of setup to be a LOT more heinous and strong-arming... having to jump through the right hoop to get to a screen that would actually LET you create a local user account.

(not like I do this every day, just to set up a test version in a VM)

9. big_D Silver badge

Splitting up...

I'd like to see more things split up. TVs and Smart doing a Beatles and going it alone.Fridges and Smart doing a Sonny & Cher. The washing machines and Smart doing an Ike and Tina Turner...

The problem is, we've taken commodity white goods that we expect to last at least a decade and stuck a cheap 10€ PCB in it with no support that will turn the item into a dangerous insider in your network within months, that is ready to betray you to the next passing hacking crew. Yet we pay more than a 10€ premium for these "Smart" versions of our long serving white goods, without actually seeming to worry about their security in 6 months, let alone in 5 or 10 years time.

With manufacturers having to carry spare parts now for a decade, at least, that puts the white goods back into the realm of where they should be... Except that they should NEVER be put on your home network, especially, they should not be left on your home network if they are not getting their monthly security updates!

I bought a Sony "smart" TV, but after 12 months, it stopped getting security updates. I don't really care about feature updates, they are nice to have, but a device isn't "smart", if it isn't getting the monthly security updates (it was an Android TV, so Google was pumping out monthly security updates, but Sony was pushing out an update every 3 to 4 months), it is just a downright dangerous device. I removed its network privileges and it complains regularly that it can't get the latest adverts, but at least it isn't selling me out to ReVil or Hafnium... Instead, I put a cheap "streaming box" next to the TV and use that, it costs 30€ every couple of years, but even if I replace it every 4 years, that it still cheaper than replacing a 1,000€ TV every 12 months, because the manufacturer is bored with supporting it.

The same goes for the rest. The "smart" part of each smart white good is only usable for a few months, before you need to block its network access. And, really, what benefits do they really offer? Turn my washing machine on, when I'm not at home? Yes, fine, but I'm not there to fill it up with dirty washing and soap, so I don't need to turn it on, and if I want it to start later, so it finishes when I get home, I can set the timer as I'm packing the washing into it!

The same for the dishwasher. Oh, but it can order salt when it gets low. Yeah, but the salt for my non-smart dishwasher is in the same cupboard as all my other supplies and I just add it to the shopping list manually, when it runs low. I don't need to pay a few hundred Euros, just to save me 10 seconds of work every few months...

Begone smart crap, the dumb products are a much smarter choice!

1. Giles C Silver badge

Re: Splitting up...

Couldn’t agree more, my 6 year old Panasonic tv I don’t use any of the built in apps but run everything through an apple tv box.

I have a “smart” washing machine which I have never connected to any network - why would I want to?

Don’t need a smart speaker / lights / thermostat etc.

I do have a delay timer on the oven but that is just a clock.

People see smart and just have to have it.

1. stiine Silver badge

I'd love to get a popup when my clothes washer has completed its cycle, if they're not the S.O.'s clothes. And I'm saying this as someone who has been disabling popups in Windows forever.

I'd love to get a popup when my clothes washer has completed its cycle

Not much point unless you are actually in the house...

Our washer sings.

It has a countdown timer to the end of the programme which is vaguely accurate so you have an idea within 5 or 10 minutes when it should be finishing, and when it actually does finish it sings a little tune which can easily be heard in the next room.

Very Korean.

The bleeper apparently can also sing down the phone to tell the manufacturer a fault code. No need for internet connectivity :-)

M.

1. James Scholes

If it's the same as our Korean washing machine, it's actually singing the fourth movement of Schubert's "Trout" Quintet https://youtu.be/vWDHtlqgwMY?t=1564

2. Chris G

"People see smart and just have to have it."

Because people are..... not very smart.

2. Electronics'R'Us
      Holmes

Hear hear.

I have a 'smart' TV but none of the apps on it have ever been run (well, not here anyway). No appliances at all are on my network. I am no Luddite but there are limits in what should reasonably be within appliances.

Making 'smart' appliances comes under the heading of We know you can but why?

I want a TV that receives the signal (in one of a number of formats*) and displays it. There is no need for it to connect to anything else at all (except the remote).

Making 'dumb' appliances (you know, that do just what they are supposed to do and no more) would probably solve the chip shortage in short order. I wonder just how many integrated circuits and their support components** are in these appliances and are never effectively used but still consume power?

The ecological and environmental impact of not having those parts used in the first place would be rather large I suspect.

* Various analogue and digital interfaces are available on most devices and the majority of display controllers can handle multiple input types.

** Up to 90% of the components (by count) are support components in modern electronics. Typically it is about 50% to 75%. Quite a few of those components contain conflict minerals that are not from conflict free zones.

Devil

you can still get the 'dumb' versions of various appliances (including phones), last I checked...

normally I do not look at nor consider 'ecological' or 'environmental' (or even political) things when I buy something. It's nearly always price vs features. The limited budget I have to buy things with requires it.

And usually the 'dumb' versions cost LESS. I call THAT a feature!

1. Charles 9

That may be true of certain classes of appliances, but media devices are the clear exception. Reason being those devices with their crud are typically being sponsored, enabling the manufacturers to sell them at a discount to undercut the competition. Put it this way. No TV manufacturer would put something like Roku in an ad or on the box unless Roku was paying them for the privilege.

2. kiwimuso
        Unhappy

@Electronics'R'Us

Many years ago I bought a supposed "smart" TV from Panasonic.

Great TV, the smarts not so much. I have NEVER had any updates from Panasonic, nor have I been able to download any further, updated, apps.

Sadly, the only app I am likely to use is YT, but I can achieve that from my device streaming through Chromecast.

I look at all the newer TVs, which look great and supposedly offer so many more smarts, but sadly, they have all done away with any analogue interfaces.

As I have an older devices which will only talk via analogue, (we still watch DVDs occasionally) I have to ask myself, what was the point of buying it. It certainly was not capable of doing what they claimed to do.

I know, annoying. We bought a low-end 4k LG television in November to cover while my dad's older Panasonic went away for repair (he couldn't cope without a TV :-) The blasted thing not only has ditched the ability to deal (properly) with MHEG (meaning that he couldn't get the BBC "text" news pages)* but apart from mains, network, aerial and LNB the only sockets on the back were two HDMI and a single USB.

It used to be possible to get around this lack of analogue connectivity using a "home theatre" type amplifier - and let's face it, the speakers built into TVs these days are so awful that an external amplifier, even paired just with a couple of cheap bookshelf speakers, would be an improvement - but I note that many of those come without analogue inputs these days, and even those which do only have composite video, which rather downgrades even a cheap DVD player fitted with RGB outputs.

An alternative, if you only watch the occasional disc, would be to buy a cheap DVD player, many of which (including that £28 machine) come with HDMI output, or upgrade to Blu Ray as Blu Ray players (that's a £55 model) can all play DVDs too.

If you want to keep your DVD player because it was actually a really good model back in the day, then the obvious answer is a converter, just make sure to find one which supports analogue RGB as many of the cheaper models do not. (actually, I'm confused about those two, the manual for the cheaper one says it does support RGB in one paragraph, and then not in another. The more expensive model doesn't have a downloadable manual)

I still have a working Laserdisc player and a small selection of films. As it happens, my AV amplifier does have composite inputs, but I'm toying with the idea of using a converter instead, especially as I'm also considering reconnecting my S-VHS player having recently rediscovered boxes of old videos in an attic tidy-up (the idea being that we'd audition them for digitisation - some are home movies - and take a box of worn-out timeshifting tapes up to the tip).

M.

*I know the BBC keeps threatening to shut down MHEG but it is a lot easier to get text news this way than via the TV's inbuilt web browser, especially for a 90 year-old. His Panasonic disables red-button MHEG if the TV is connected to a network, but the LG we bought as a stop-gap doesn't do it at all! I know the thing has the ability, as the audio-only or "data only" channels work fine, but they've removed the ability to access it.

Ooh, I could rant about that, too. That particular model of TV doesn't have a button on the remote for subtitles (or audio description) which is a right royal pain. The only way to activate either is to go about three levels deep in the menu system and turn the things permanently on. It doesn't have an "info" button either, for now & next, which means checking listings by using the Guide - again, tedious - and neither does it have a dedicated aspect ratio button, which was a pain recently when watching a Christmas present of Remembrance of the Daleks which has sections in both 16:9 and 4:3.

Fortunately, our other TV is also an LG and the new device responds to all the codes for the above, so a quick purchase of a One4All and a re-programme of some of the buttons (because the One4All doesn't have a button for subtitles either!) and problem solved. Shouldn't happen though, and I feel I ought to get in touch with the RNID/RNIB or whatever their currently trendy names are :-)

3. Stork Silver badge

I think our new washing machine is smart. Not sure, it’s similar to the old one and I just started using it without reading the manual

1. kiwimuso

@Stork

"I think our new washing machine is smart.'

Ditto, We knew it was supposedly "smart" but that certainly wasn't the reason we bought it.

In fact we bought it despite it being smart.

I attempted to connect with my phone just to see what it could do, but for some reason I was unable to get it to connect, so I haven't bothered since.

Funnily enough, it does exactly what we want without all that.

Sheesh!

4. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
      Facepalm

My kids don't want or need a bunch of "smart" devices. They have a few tablet games, but equally prefer Lego and pickup up (and reading!) dead-tree books. And everyone says how smart they are, fancy that.

But that doesn't stop others from trying to push our edge. Oldest daughter got an Echo Dot for Christmas from electrician uncle (my wife's brother) married to aunt who loves connected tech. Because their daughters (my nieces) love theirs. Despite that they know I hate "smart" (unnecessarily network-connected) devices of all kinds. Or that I work in an industry that pays to be paranoid (not to mention actual regulations that say I shouldn't have an always-live microphone in the same room listening to my meetings).

Said daughter has a iPad. I can't even set up this bloody thing to act as a "dumb" (er, less smart) Bluetooth speaker without first installing the Alexa app and connecting bloody device to some WiFi. One workaround is to use "mobile hotspot" to do only the Bluetooth setup then turn off the hotspot, but D'OH that only works for phones or cellular tablets and her iPad is non-cellular/WiFi-only.

So, unless I want Amazon to spy on everything my kid is doing, the Dot stays in the box. Not that it gives her any more usefulness than Siri, which she doesn't like to use anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And that's how they'll get us. Little-by-little things won't work unless they are hooked up to the web with an account - and possibly a subscription. I haven't got any connected hardware other than my PC and phone. I just bought a new car that I can connect to VW via its internal SIM. I have no intention of enabling it and so far it's not a problem - I don't even get nagged. However I half expect that at some point in the future I'll be forced to connect and create an account in order to install some "necessary" update or get it serviced or something.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Not being connected means they can't update it in a way to force you to stay connected. But they CAN update it if/when it goes for a service at a dealer. They will do a manual update, almost certainly without asking you first, which may then require the connection with the mother-ship from then on. If you try to request they don't do any firmware updates as part of the service, they will probably tell you they "have to, because" or that the update includes "safety" updates which can't be applied separately from the "feature" updates.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

They'll probably just say it's part of the warranty agreement. Decline the "update," you're considered at risk of getting pwned, warranty is void and all further services are strictly on your dime.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I had a similar experience a while back. I took my car in for a recall (I use a non-dealership mechanic for most things), and I specifically demanded that they not update any software. I made the Service Manager write it on the work order in big letters.

He then mumbled something about voiding my extended warranty. I answered "I think my lawyer would argue that you would have to prove that the failure was caused by the out of date software. Would you be able to do that?" The answer was "no, I guess we wouldn't be able to".

In the end, my extended warranty expired before I needed any serious work done on the car anyway. I haven't been back to that dealership since.

I may have to keep this car forever now, since I won't buy anything that is connected to the f'ing internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

And if he had answered, "Yes. Our lawyers are better than yours."?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My stepsons Beamers have a SIM in them, and they have a button to call for help if there is an issue.

A passenger sitting in the car for the first time thought it was the on-button for the interior light. Pushed it, and there was no way to cancel the call. Support answered quickly though...

5. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

Your comments contribute nothing to forced obsolescence, impulse shopping or even inflated social standing.

Would you like some help with that?

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The worst part of so-called "smart" devices is the extra electronics seem to be the first thing to fail. Those controller boards aren't cheap for appliances, and the entire system is on there, so ANY point of failure that doesn't HAVE to be there means you'll be buying a new appliance sooner than you'd like or shelling out a healthy dose of cash to pay the repair people. :(

1. stiine Silver badge

Oh, but they are cheap, and that's part of the problem.

1. usbac Silver badge

I repaired the main board out of an almost new front-loader washing machine for a lady at work a while back. The problem was easy to fix, just very poor soldering (cold solder joints everywhere).

I could not believe how poor the quality of the PCB itself was. I order prototype PCBs from overseas, and we are talking about the cheapest of the cheap board houses (a five piece order for $2), and the quality I get is light-years better than that board. I honestly didn't think there are any board houses left anywhere in the world that could produce such a low quality PCB. It looked like something out of an early 70's low-end stereo receiver. It was single sided, and no solder mask. It sure as hell wasn't FR4.

And, this was out of a $1200 major name brand washing machine!

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In my book, a SMART dishwasher should be able to load its own plates!

1. Bob McBobface

You can get those, expensive though. Eventually they take the house and half your pension

1. LybsterRoy Silver badge

Wow - a relatively inexpensive (I was going to write cheap) one.

8. Down not across

The problem is, we've taken commodity white goods that we expect to last at least a decade and stuck a cheap 10€ PCB in it with no support that will turn the item into a dangerous insider in your network within months, that is ready to betray you to the next passing hacking crew.

Within months? I'd say out of the box...

With manufacturers having to carry spare parts now for a decade, at least, that puts the white goods back into the realm of where they should be... Except that they should NEVER be put on your home network, especially, they should not be left on your home network if they are not getting their monthly security updates!

Any so called "smart" things (take TV for example) in my house will be either without any network access or on sewer VLAN with no access to outside world so updates don't matter so much.

It's annoying that its getting more and more difficult to avoid "smart" thingys due to what is available to purchase.

1. big_D Silver badge

It depends, Sony updated my Android TV for about a year, before abandoning it. But my daughter bought a Sony non-Android TV and they stopped supporting it within 6 months.

I always had the TV on a separate IoT Wi-Fi, but I locked it off totally and used a FireTV after they stopped the updates.

My Panasonic has Firefox OS and I regard it as highly secure since no one knows about FireFox OS, including Panasonic <G>

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We nearly got there when Ballmer danced into the sunset"

Did we? It wasn't Ballmer trying to push Windows 10 onto users' PCs in the most shameful ways. Or U-turning and becoming data hoarder just like Google.

Actually, those in charge of MS today have far more contempt for users than Ballmer ever did. The ugly designs, lack of features and serial mistakes of the new Windows 10+ applications is another symptom of that.

Ballmer didn't like open source at all - but that's a far different thing. MS could be more FOSS friendly today, and also delivering far worse software - after all that is far cheaper, and users have no real competition to switch to.... I mean users that need something more than a web browser and a terminal window.

11. Bitsminer Silver badge

"but hold on before splashing out on a new monitor for Eddie"

Ahh, the 1988 Olympics, starring Eddie the Eagle. A very sharp (eyed) fellow with legendary poor eyesight.

Eddie the Eagle

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm hoping Zuck's "Metaverse" is the thing that finally kills Crackbook...

The LAST thing the world needs is an ad-monger in charge of such technology and holding the keys. :(

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

About those trains running on time

Of course, first the obligatory XKCD, but it was mostly window dressing and spin..

14. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Griefers and VR

When Second Life tried to do shared VR, griefers harassed their users with flying penises. Judging by Meta's publicity photo the Metaverse already has one dick in it.

15. iron Silver badge

I have not seen a single prompt for Windows 11 on my PC. Perhaps the author has their Windows 10 poorly configured?

--I have not seen a single prompt for Windows 11 on my PC.--

Nor me either on my W7 PCs or my Linux ones

16. DrXym

HDMI 2.1 doesn't sound like overkill

It means you could power a couple of hires displays (e.g. a VR headset) through a single link with space left over to use as a databus.

17. Simon Rockman

Rupe.. I was with you all the way up until..

Folding phones. I love my Z3 Flip.

In a world where everything is a Black Mirror, having a phone that is different. In any way different. Is special.

Of course, if all phones were folding ones we'd be back in the same positions.

I understand wanting to inhabit a virtual world.

No, I understand wanting to inhabit a different world to the one we are in.

S.

18. alcalde

As I read this and got to the eagle bit, I said "Wow, this guy or gal is really funny." I checked the byline and saw "Rupert Goodwins". I said to myself... "Wait, I know that name... didn't he write... no that's impossible." As I checked Wikipedia I thought I was crazy and mistaken until I reached the last bit... "Rupert also wrote the 64-page novella accompanying the game Weird Dreams by Rainbird." I was right! I knew it! Of course! Weird Dreams is still one of my favorite short stories I've ever read. I don't have the game anymore... never got very far in it even when I did have it... but I've still got the story, it's that good. I still quote lines from it today when discussing the topic of writing humor.

Thanks for making me laugh again more than thirty years on. Eddie the Eagle... you got me again....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like