back to article SlimPay fined €180k after 12 million customers' bank data publicly accessible for 5 years

SlimPay, a Paris-based subscription payment services company, has been fined €180,000 by the French CNIL regulatory body after it was found to have held sensitive customer data on a publicly accessible server for five years. The firm describes itself as a leader in recurring payments for subscriptions, and provides an API and …

1. ShadowSystems

Another useless fine.

118K fine for over 12Million victims means each victim was only worth 0.0098333. Oh yes, I can see how such a massive fine will cause them to tremble in fear lest it happen again.

Or, more likely, the C-level officers will shake the money out of petty change, give the regulator TheFinger, & carry on fucking folks over with impugnity.

Unless that fine is per day, per victim, & personally, criminally, financially unable to be erased via bankruptcy, payable by said execs, they won't care, won't notice, & won't even break stride before doing it again.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Re: Another useless fine.

Yes, it's pathetic. 0.2p per person per year is probably less than the interest on the money down the back of the sofa.

2. tiggity Silver badge

Yeah, came to post just that, a farcically tiny fine, not even a slap on the wrist, more a gentle caress.

3. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

That's not a fine, that's an encouragement.

2. Snowy Silver badge
    Facepalm

The way it is done in Europe

Big on the laws, while the UK would enforce them somewhat correctly some places just play lip service to it. Here we have a French company not being fined by the French colour me surprised!

Yes I did vote to remain, not going to change it by leavening it.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: The way it is done in Europe

Once again Yes Minister is there.

"The Germans will love it, the French will ignore it and the Italians and the Irish will be too chaotic to enforce it. Only the British will resent it."

They were talking about the European Identity Card but still. Oh and the Irish actually do give a fig given what they want to fine Facebork.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'To its credit'?

C'mon El Reg,

I don't think any credit is due to them.

I'm a bit perplexed why you would big them up for belatedly doing something (after they were notified) that they should have actioned years earlier.

Maybe just me, and probably why I don't write for money and just spaff out comments on here!

Happy New Year to all BTW.

Cheers!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Live data in a test environment?

*facepalm*

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Live data in a test environment?

https://www.commitstrip.com/en/2021/12/07/we-all-do-it-right/?setLocale=1

5. Arthur Daily

Using Production Data

Is a fireable offense- contracts terminated immediately if Visa or MC catch one of their processors doing it. Military also loves to have whiz bang contractors packing TS USB sticks to test classification software. Tax departments spend big buck on sanitized pseudo production data, costing millions each year. Then there a 5 audits in a row, five annual reports that missed this. That should amount to five fines and the sacking of whatever tame in-pocket company doing their reports. I would say many sites casually break this rule, at least 40%. Why? Because people know know data - once called data administrators are extinct as a species, or cower under pressure. Plus someone trusted has to convert the production data - in a dedicated environment with loads of storage and sort cpu cycles. That expense is also shunned. In all, the fine is a pittance, and they saved buckets of money. Nothing has been learned. Now they will apply for an authorized exception.

6. Cynical Pie

Surprised the penalty is so low...

As the CNIL have a habit of being one of the more robust DP regulators when it comes to amounts.

Its a wholly expected sum if it was the ICO but unusual for mainland European regulators

7. spireite Silver badge

That fine is taking the piss, surely,,,,

While many places I worked in have used production data on UAT or PreProd, it does at least get run through an anonymiser/scrambler

8. sitta_europea Silver badge

"Please note as well that in 2021, we acquired a level 1 PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) certification, the highest level, in terms of banking details."

I suppose this tells you most of what you need to know about the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like