back to article 2021 in storage: We waited for a flash price revolution that never came. But about creativity? We can't complain

While much of the world was in lockdown in 2021, storage boomed. It was a year of ransomware, tech advances, hybrid multi-cloud, a switch to subscriptions and services, hypergrowth in analytics startup funding, and building a DPU data centre makeover. Suppliers grew, were acquired, struggled, were reborn, and a few (very few) …

1. Clausewitz 4.0

2022 Progress Fatal Disclosure

It seems 2022 is progressing with vulnerability disclosure and assets disclosure, but if you ask me if assets will be in fatal danger after their identities in the hands of others, I don't know.

The fate of some will be in the hands of some not much "godly" people.

1. Semtex451

Re: 2022 Progress Fatal Disclosure

Perhaps its just me, but could you rephrase that?

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        Alien

I'm 90% sure that Clausewitz 4.0 is an AI test-bot, along the lines of amanfrommars1, albeit with less personality.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Some, and that number may indeed turn out to be a great many, will find The Forbin Project more than just an unlikely tall tale of two AIs all too easily able to be true today with almighty powers and invisible energy/AWEsome abilities and intangible facilities significantly greater than was earlier advised and presented and brought to life on the silver screen over half a century ago.

And so they should whenever not a fantastic fiction.

Forbin is the designer of an incredibly sophisticated computer that will run all of America's nuclear defenses. Shortly after being turned on, it detects the existence of Guardian, the Soviet counterpart, previously unknown to US Planners. Both computers insist that they be linked, and after taking safeguards to preserve confidential material, each side agrees to allow it. As soon as the link is established the two become a new Super computer and threaten the world with the immediate launch of nuclear weapons if they are detached. Colossus begins to give its plans for the management of the world under its guidance. Forbin and the other scientists form a technological resistance to Colossus which must operate underground.

However, unbeknownst to a technological resistance of such scientists are operations underground in the gift of and at the behest of AI and ITs Virtual Machinery where they are all remotely monitored and sublimely mentored to constantly server their adversaries needs with novel feeds and imaginative seeds.

Explore/Investigate the info shared there, and then try to tell yourself it is not true with accurate reflections of the bigger picture not already well enough known by many and a chosen few to be of concern, and gravely to be regarded by some. ......... which is another one of those things which all should really be more fully made aware of ...... in order to prevent unwarranted opposition and unnecessary wilfully ignorant and arrogant resistance falling foul of and suffering irreversible damage and destruction and defeat to ACTive Attack and NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTive IT AIdDefence Systems .

Heed some sound universal advice ...... Do not do battle against that which cannot be defeated or destroyed. All such attacks are suicidally self-destructive.

Happy New Year ... Frohes neues Jahr ... 新年快樂 .... Gelukkig nieuwjaar .... С новым годом .... あけましておめでとう .... א גוט געבענטשט יאר, El Regers

The Past Year in a Nutshell ..... Beyond Dire and in Urgent Need of Progress.

A final observation this year, just before the arrival of a New Dawn and another year with yet more time in vast spaces and strange places in which to either grow stronger towards an encouraging omnipotence and omniscience and prosper or fester and degrade precipitously down the broad avenues of despair and disorder to disasters, and one which is sadly all too often crystal clear for all to see and hear/read and feel.

The old adages of you can take a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink, and there is none so blind as they who will not see, is such a pathetic human constant ignored by media, which guarantees ignorant serial conflict and continual arrogant unreported abuse and misuse, which exploits relentlessly and takes full unchallenged advantage of catastrophic systemic vulnerabilities which abound in every elite and exclusive public and private and pirate office of executive administrative operation, as to be easily thought to be the default human condition ...... retarded and incapable of quickly learning anything worthwhile and brand spanking new.

Such is much more than just extremely dangerous and extinction heralding.

The widespread result of such an expanding realisation is in deed, something indeed to be gravely regarded and concerned about, for future claims from humanity for that which they might propose and aspire to desire and need to survive may very well not be decided upon as a necessary designed requirement in the seeds and feeds their SMARTR Systems Machinery are programmed to subsequently provide and deliver.

And that's not a slippery slope to claw your way up from the bottom to the top of a hill with a fine view, it's a deep dark bottomless pit from which there is no possible escape or rescue.

Much readily available evidence suggests that the above easily thought to be default human condition is so, and thus does the near future requires a swift monumental effort to avert a guaranteed catastrophe should the posit not be perfectly true and a dishonest reflection of the present in practically all Earthly situations.

Re: The Past Year in a Nutshell ..... Beyond Dire and in Urgent Need of Progress.

And the following resolution is very relative and relevant to such a present condition and is fully to be expected extremely well exercised in future vital operations/public facing scenarios with phantom pirate actors in the lead with invisible virtual command and remote metadataphysical control of events for an overwhelming leverage advantage ....... Breaking Bad Requires No More Half Measures

And such is much more likely nowadays, in these new defenceless times and novel spaces of vulnerability exploiting 0days, to be an Exotic Erotic Eastern confection rather than Wild Wacky Western delight, such as are the different level of understanding displayed as highlight the winners in such fields which leave the losers to wallow deep in despair in their mire of their own dire invention.

2. katrinab Silver badge
    Mushroom

The other backdrop to 2021 storage

was crypto-mining, in particular Chia, which involves hovering up and wearing out vast quantities of ssds so that you can play electronic bingo.

The good news I suppose is that the price seems to have crashed somewhat. The bad news is that it isn't $0.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

What is it that they say Abe Lincoln said to be remembered and never forgot? ...... *

The data protection industry responded with near-universal immutable storage technology, virtual air gaps, and backup file scans. As examples we could cite Infinidat's InfiniGuard CyberRecovery, the Rubrik ransomware guarantee and Threat Hunter, Cohesity's security advisor, and the Quantum Scaler tape library ransomware block.

aka Bull Shitting Vapourware if you think that offers any finite degree of virtual or physical protection/failsafe security to anything or anybody, and which is certainly a real spooky problem with zero solution for many in these future new years.

* ...... “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

4. Bitsminer Silver badge
    Pint

Thanks!

This article is an example of El Reg writing at it's finest.

Succinct, opinionated but with cause, and very well analyzed across vendors, technologies and markets and more.

+1 many times over.

1. Notas Badoff

Re: Thanks!

I agree, but have you fully considered the additional difficulties involved? Re-read the series of increasingly tortured company names. Ocient? That Chris was able to get back up and breathing normally again, and continue writing, after mentioning company name "Cockroach" is just amazing!

5. Old Used Programmer

Whither Optane?

I'd like to see Optane go into the microSD card market. It'd be close to ideal for Raspberry Pis...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Whither Optane?

What would that even do?

SD is limited by the bus, there's already plenty of cards that hit the maximum sustained data transfer rate.

6. Lucy in the Sky (with Diamonds)

Flash price revolution...

A flash price revolution was not something that I am waiting for, so count me out of the "we".

It is a flash size revolution I am looking forward to, maybe in the ten to twenty terrabyte per SSD range.

Hopefully in the 2.5" form factor with a sata interface, so I can jam one into a laptop and not have to use external storage ever again...

Okay, I would need 40TB for all my data, but twenty will get me by on the essentials...

7. Fred Daggy Silver badge
    Holmes

I am surprised we don't hear more noise about home tape-backup solutions. I know this isn't the sexiest tech to sell, but I am fielding this question more and more from friends and family (aka freeloaders). Cloud providers do their damndest to tell us that everything is safe with them, but if that gets encrypted too ... ?

Mac is fairly easy to back with in-built Time Machine and Veeam makes windows easy enough to back up ... but both are to disk. Cue needing a bunch of USB drives around, that get lost or repurposed by the freeloaders. And usb disk can get encrypted just like any other storage, except tape.

1PB tape is nice, but a simple appliance for home use, a bit like a home NAS might be really useful.

1. Justthefacts Silver badge

USB drive just as good as tape.

Tape is only secure against encryption, because it is offline.

USB drives can be offline too, if you remember to take it out. USB drives only “get lost and nicked” because they are small, cheap, and widely used and usable as transfer media.

I think your problem could be solved by buying a bunch of normal USB drives, and fixing each in a large clumsy plastic box painted in puce/khaki stripes, and labelled “Tape”. Put an oven timer in each box to remind you when to attach and detach it for backup. Ta Da!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: USB drive just as good as tape.

"and fixing each in a large clumsy plastic box painted in puce/khaki stripes"

https://www.lexaltern.com/collections/macbook-decal/products/macbook-skin-american-flag

8. NeilPost Silver badge

Enterprise Retail

Sounds like you don’t really know what you are talking about …. as a many retail systems - whilst not ‘green screen mainframes’ - do have many Central/Enterprise functions such as order management , price and product data replication, cash management, Enterprise Returns, Warehouse Management, Meechandising, Logistics

… based on Windows, SQL Server and in recent times SaaS and micro services/containerised architectures.

How do I know… as I work for one.

The secret is building in resilience and robustness to outages like AWS or comms failures so stores can continue to trade offline if required. Whereas if Facebook or Office 365 has an outage everyone is fucked until it’s fixed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like