back to article Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter planning move to blockchain. How will it work? Your guess is as good as ours

In an appropriately nebulous blog post, Kickstarter, the non-profit crowdfunding site, has announced it will move to a decentralised model via the dreaded blockchain. Some online reaction to the announcement was justifiably bemused, with some comparing it to "word salad." It contains little solid technical content – so, fairly …

1. trevorde Silver badge

Kickstarter Non-Starter

They're missing AI, ML, VR and quantum computing, so immediate loss of credibility and it's a hard pass from me

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Kickstarter Non-Starter

" 'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.’ "

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Humpty-Dumpty had a great fall...

and all the king's hackers, and all the king's men couldn't put the blockchain together again...

1. ShadowSystems

Re: Humpty-Dumpty had a great fall...

LDS, they just needed a better shell script. =-D

2. Chris G

"They're missing AI, ML, VR and quantum computing"

Perhaps they need some kind of fundraising ploy so that they can create an agile system to incorporate all of the above without disrupting their core operation.

3. katrinab Silver badge
      Megaphone

And clouds. Don’t forget clouds.

2. breakfast Silver badge
    Facepalm

A bit of a mess

If blockchain was so good, you would think that companies would be using it already (the technology is far from new) without making a big song and dance about the whole thing.

But if they are using it for publicity, why is everyone I follow on Twitter who has previously kickstarted things saying they want nothing to do with this disaster? It's really hard on creators who have benefitted from Kickstarter's market lead and marketing power to make successful projects in the past and now find they have to choose between stepping away or working with the kind of company who does... this.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Lol wut?

So from bad to worse, eh?

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    WTF?

"The public benefit corporation"

Okay, I went and viewed the link. It's a nice fuzzy way of calling Kickstarter a company.

Only in the USA can you have a company not called a company.

Public Benefit means shareholders and for-profit. There is no "public benefit" to be found over other companies like IBM, Intel or Walgreens.

Honestly, this tip-toeing around the bush in a strongly pro-capitalist country is shameful.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Faster horses"

I am always reminded of what Henry Ford said his customers would have asked for if he'd left it up to them.

No idea what exactly Kickstarter are doing, but folk need to remember (and that *is* a not so subtle note that "folk" is a very small number of people who have an opinion on blockchain) that blockchain is a fully specified state machine - in effect a computer in it's own right.

My guess is that Kickstarter will be creating smart contracts linked to the performance of a project. With the possibility to sell/transact a contract as a derivative or futures asset.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "Faster horses"

"creating smart contracts "

What's a "smart" contract? How is that different to normal contracts?

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Megaphone

A smart contract is another word for a computer program.

2. Bevendi

Imagine if computer code was legally binding, including any bugs and exploits. That's what smart contracts are.

1. Ian 55

Until the big boys lose money, in which case it's "We think we better think about it again" and they do a fork back to the old position.

See Ethereum and the DAO.

1. brotherelf

This. With all the many many flaws you can point out about the judicial system of many many countries, they mostly in their intent want to do better than "liberty and justice for whoever has 51% of processing power".

6. Deanamore

Carbon fibre nanotubes

I hope their move to blockchain is done in a sufficiently innovative and market disrupting manner facilitated by quantum machine learning algorithms running in the hybrid cloud, controlled by ethically sourced and GM free AI, powered by carbon fibre nanotubes and operating out of a CO2 neutral datacenter.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: GM free AI

Don't forget vegan. Any respectable AI these days is vegan.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: GM free AI

and dolphin friendly too. Never forget the cute smiling dolphins. They are our ticket out of here when the world goes titsup.

2. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Carbon fibre nanotubes

What, no 5G or IoT? You don't want them to be left behind in the stone age do you? DO YOU?

7. Winkypop Silver badge

Quantum quantum quantum

There’s supposed to be a huge quantum!

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: huge quantum

Simultaneously both huge and tiny, and all sizes in between.

1. Chris G

But, if you know how big it is, you won't know where it is.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Size doesn't matter...

8. BackToTheFuture

BlockBrain

What, no agile symmetry? Guess you can only milk a dead cow once.

9. Ian Johnston Silver badge

What is the point in decentralising something run by a single organisation? Are they saying that they don't know how to run a database or that they do know how to run a database but can't be trusted to do so? 'Cos it's one or the other.

10. Securitymoose

Just get out all your money in cash...

...and leave it behind the third washbasin along at Kings Cross Station.

I can see this as the very end of Kickstarter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like