back to article Gnu Nano releases version 6.0 of text editor, can now hide UI frippery

Text editor GNU Nano has reached version 6.0. The app’s last x.0 release emerged in July 2020 and was just the fifth full version in the project’s history. Version 6.0 debuted on December 15th and is named “Humor heeft ook zijn leuke kanten”. The Register believes that’s a phrase often uttered by Dutch comedian Herman …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"fourteen new color names"

Cue the inevitable unending argument about how much cyan is in the teal and how much more/less there should be, and so on for every new color.

1. Joe W Silver badge
      Coat

Re: "fourteen new color names"

Nah. Most men can only see 16 colours (including black and white) anyway - why do you thing the EGA palette had only 16 colour?

icon? It's a LAB-coat

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Colour me confused

I can see way more than 16, but in my own common usage I can only be bothered with about 10 names: seven in the rainbow, plus pink, brown, gray (grey) is about all I need. Add in white and black to keep happy those who consider them to be colours, is still less than 16. In my experience person A who uses precise colour names doesn't use them in a way that matches the dictionary, and often enough they disagree with random person B who uses the same precise colour names. Teal was a perfect example to bring up: what colour is it? Everybody has a different idea.... I picture the bird, and it's nothing like what is being called teal.

2. the spectacularly refined chap

Nah. Most men can only see 16 colours (including black and white) anyway - why do you thing the EGA palette had only 16 colour?

The EGA palette had 64 colours, although it could only display 16 at once. Don't see much point in more than 64 for a lot of stuff - essentially anything not displaying photos. Graphics can look slightly cartoonish but so what? It stops UI designers getting above themselves with pointless and computationally expensive effects.

It is true though that men on average can't perceive as many colours as women. It's one of the things that came up in one of the summer placements when still at Uni, replacing a colour matching database for an automotive paint supplier.

3. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Nah, that's 8! Like I tell my wife when shopping for paint "If is in't in an 8 count box of Crayola crayons, it ain't a color!"

2. Captain Scarlet
      Trollface

*Slams cup of tea down launching biscuits on the plate across the room*

They spelt colour wrong again!!!!

*Bri'ishness intensifies*

1. jake Silver badge

"They spelt colour wrong again!!!!"

That's the only thing you can find to bitch about? Talk about 1st world problems ...

1. Tom 7

You forgot to mention your 2nd wourld problems.

2. Captain Scarlet
          Childcatcher

No however pointing out simple things like crisps incorrectly being called chips are very easy to troll.

*Slurping continues*

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

I only want 2 colors: bright white on black... so I can see what I'm editing.

4. Arthur the cat Silver badge
      Headmaster

I'd be more inclined to argue over what colo(u)r "brick" is. Round here a lot of buildings were made using "Cambridge white" bricks(*), and you see a lot of yellowish bricks as well, with reds being used for decoration. That's before you consider engineering blues.

(*) The clay used to make them has run out so for new builds you either use vaguely similar greyish ones, or pay a fortune for recycled whites.

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

Cosmetic?

> version 6.0

It seems like there is some diddlin' with the UI but little in the way of "what can I do with the new release, that I couldn't do with the previous one" functional improvements

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Cosmetic?

Is that necessarily such a bad thing? This is a text editor and the name implies something streamlined. There's a school of though that says a text editor should keep it simple and provide functionality for editing text files, and that's it....the way to the dark side is to keep adding features just because you can, and a few releases down the line you've morphed it into some ungainly beast.

1. Joe W Silver badge

The question is: does this warrant a new major version? Yes, that is a philosophical question, how much needs to have changed from an earlier version to warrant that step? Is a major interface overhaul enough?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It is for that reason that for the last few years I've just been using integers for version numbers. Plus the git commit hash when needing to be precise.

2. jake Silver badge

"Is a major interface overhaul enough?"

Yes. Some would say mandatory.

2. Tom Chiverton 1

Or become EMACS

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

GNU's not Google.

Until GNU starts adding in phone home "improvements", there's only so much they need to look at.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I tried to use it...

...but the text was too small.

I'll get my coat, it's the one with the pockets full of microdots.

4. Nick Pettefar

Does it have a vi mode?

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Devil

No, but it will uninstall emacs automatically.

5. jake Silver badge

Cool!

Yet another thing that still ignores the systemd-cancer :-)

1. R Soul Silver badge

Re: Cool!

Fixed in the next release.

1. steelpillow Silver badge
        Trollface

You mean broken in the next release, shirley?

2. jake Silver badge
        Pint

If it is fixed b0rken in he next release, I will fork it myself, just out of principal. I wonder how many Nano users would follow my branch instead? Hopefully we'll never need to find out :-)

This round's on me ...Beertender, keep Chris & Benno's topped up.

6. packetrider

Humor has its funny side.

Alternative "funnier?" translation.

1. Marco van de Voort

Re: Humor has its funny side.

It is more a reference to looking at something from all angles, which in Dutch is "looking from all sides".

I'd go for "aspects"

2. Skiron

It actually stands for "Funny, but vi is too hard".

(*) Idea from the 'fortune "Ubuntu is a South African word which means 'Slackware is too hard.' "

1. jake Silver badge

Which started out as"Ubuntu: Ancient African word meaning "Slackware is HARD!".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Deepl's translation (which is usually pretty good) says:

"Humor has its funny sides too"

not sure where it got the "too" from, but I like it!

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

not sure where it got the "too" from, but I like it! ..... s2bu

Ook is responsible for that inclusion, s2bu.

7. LenG

Vi forever

Sorry, can't see any advantage in changing from vi. It is a bit of a pig to learn but once you have it works more or less everywhere.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: Vi forever

or just use ed

(yeah, sorry - I'm a vim-user myself)

1. Andy Landy

“Ed is the standard text editor.”

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

When I started using computers cutting and splicing paper tape was the standard editor. I had a supply of sticky tape patches with pre-punched holes to make the joins.

2. Tom 7

I spent a long time steeped in a VAX VMS stream editor using log files to make scripts for the next stages of long batch runs with many stages and surprised myself that I could use it to edit files from the command line

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Holmes

I'm sorely disappointed that they didn't adopt roman numerals for the nano release versions.

The new one would of course be nano VI

3. thames

People use nano for editing config files and the like. It's a lot easier to use for basic things than vi and the menu at the bottom is very self-explanatory for the things that most people need to do occasionally. It's not really comparable to vi, emacs, or any of the GUI based editors such as Geany.

1. jake Silver badge

"It's a lot easier to use for basic things than vi"

Not for me it isn't. 40-odd years of muscle memory says no.

4. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
      Happy

"It is a bit of a pig to learn". Which is precisely the point of Nano. It has zero learning curve, all of the controls (by default) are visible on the screen, and when you open a file you can move the cursor about and just type, like a normal person.

Even the Alpine Linux container has Nano.

1. jake Silver badge

Even Slackware installs Nano by default.

5. TonyR

What are these text editor thingies?

cat - > file.txt arranges all the text I need.

8. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

xkcd 378 obviously but I also quite like 1823

I like nano and use it for configs - usually on Debian/Ubuntu type installations - nice to see it is actively maintained although I think it is basically 'finished'

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

As long as there's a UI to faff about with nothing is ever finished.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

As long as there's a UI to faff about with nothing ever finished is quite broken enough and dumbed-down yet.

Fixed if you you.

9. ScissorHands
    Trollface

Oh the humanity

Image that, Windows users can't use nano and have to use gvim.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Oh the humanity

Or, MS-DOS users who miss edlin could use...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freedos-edlin/

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

There is always the update of the original PC-DOS based Personal Editor

http://www.pe32.com/

3. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

"Image that, Windows users can't use nano and have to use gvim."

Why not? I use nano on Windows all the time! It's great when you need to edit a file in a remote PowerShell session or you don't want to fire up Notepad just to make a quick edit while in a command or PowerShell window. It is a great replacement for my favorite Windows editor Edit! Really annoyed me when they got rid of that. How hard would it have been to make a 32 bit version.

1. jake Silver badge

Nano's been available on Cygwin since Nano was first made available ... Call it late 1999.

For your 32-bit Windows version, see github

... Note that I have never tried this version.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Bring back Brief.

Best editor ever.

11. Steve Graham

I broke a few config files before I learned to put

set nowrap

set softwrap

in my .nanorc

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Pint

@Mr Graham and all

When I - occasionally - ssh into a random Debian/Ubuntu based server and need to alter config files, I've reflexively started typing

$ nano --nowrap /etc/whatever.conf

Just one of those things.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like