back to article Google Chrome's upcoming crackdown on ad-blockers and other extensions still really sucks, EFF laments

The Electronic Frontier Foundation on Tuesday renewed its campaign to convince Google to listen to criticism of the tech goliath's plan to overhaul its browser extension platform and to make changes while there's still time. In the advocacy organization's latest broadside against Google's three-year-old extension renovation …

1. Chris G

Acceptable ads?

There are none, unless I am searching for a product, at any other time, ad slingers whether Google or the advertisers are stealing my time and the energy I use in my system.

I have clicked on one ad recently and that was by mistake, generally I know what I want and when I want it and if I am not too sure of the best product for a particular use, then and only then during a search, will I countenance relevant ads.

If I can't use the internet for entertainment, I will go back to buying dead tree books.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Acceptable ads?

I only use browsers that can install adnauseum - currently that is firefox and (with a bit of hassle) chromium and chrome

The beauty of adnauseum is that it poisons their well by clicking on every ad in the background, but still blocking the ads. True Genius.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's very admirable that you are trying to pee on their sandcastle, but ad flingers do detect spam clicks and filter them out...

1. nagi

Yes, but they also sometimes attribute those spam clicks to click fraud and ban the advertiser.

1. Dinanziame Silver badge

They would ban the third-party website, not the advertiser. There's no point for an advertiser to click on their own ad; it uses their budget without attracting users. Right?

2. James Anderson
      Unhappy

Ads are literally the price you pay for free search and content.

Its the model that drives 95% of the web.

There are a few "must subscribe" sites like the Economist or New York Times, and, a few beg for money sites like Wikipedia but if its not e-commerce the chances are its funded by adverts.

Still its fun to search for items you will never ever purchase like "John Deere Parts" and see yourself uselessly targeted for those products.

1. Lon24

Free search and content existed before Google dreamed up Adsense. Indeed there was no need to navigate away from the plethora of all those deceptive clickbait sites that neither intend to inform nor entertain.

Other business models are available if they were given a real chance. Examples are really useful websites like Archive.org and even Wikipedia. But the ad-slingers' lobby will never allow their waste of space to be controlled or taxed for what it is. That business model will be protected and hence will stay pre-dominant.

Sadly.

1. James Anderson

I remember Alta-Vista and all those adds for Kalashnikovs. Targeted advertising really meant something then.

2. ChrisC Silver badge

See, I remember a time when web ads were nothing more than a small static (literally in some cases, with the images hosted on the site itself rather than being pulled in from the adslinger network) banner that sat benignly somewhere on the page - perhaps integrated neatly into the header/footer section, or used as a divider between sections as you scrolled up and down. Once loaded, the only resources they consumed was however much memory was required to hold the bitmap image.

That for me was the acceptable, but unfortunately all too short-lived, way to do online advertising. Unobtrusive, minimally resource-consuming, and based around the not unreasonable premise that if someone has visited a website it's because they want to look at the actual site contents, not the adverts. The ads were just there, it was up to us to decide whether or not to look at them or click on them. As it should be.

Then some sites/advertisers started to get greedy, and started loading up their pages with more and more ads, in less and less discrete locations on the page. Ads started to get more IN YOUR FACE, with static images giving way to animGIFs, embedded videos (with sound, of course, back in the days when browsers were trusting enough of web pages to presume that an embedded video was something the user would want to see and hear as soon as they loaded the page, so would start playing it right there and then) and an ever increasing amount of active scripting running behind it all. There were popups, popunders, pop tarts, pop pickers, poppity popping popsalots all over the page, stuff you actively had to dismiss before you could even get to the page content, stuff that would randomly pop up as you were browsing, leading to the occasional (and *totally* accidental, of course, whyever would an advertiser do something to deliberately coerce you into clicking on their ads...) misclick as you went to select something on the page itself only to have an ad swoop in and steal your mouse action.

This made browsing the web rather less enjoyable than it used to be.

This in turn pissed off rather a lot of people. Some of whom had the technical abilities and the determination to do something about it. And as countless companies have learned over the decades, once you do something that mobilises the global army of annoyed techies, the only eventual outcome is that you'll lose. It's just a question as to how long you mistakenly think you can win before you finally accept reality...

So the amount of sympathy I have these days for adslingers and the websites that have chosen to go all-in with their increasingly dodgy ways is so small it could double up as a national standard measurement for the smallest measurable thing imaginable.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

misclick

The pop[.]* are bad, but there are also the disguised links, including links disguised as whitespace. For a long time now my primary interaction with any webpage has been the scrollbar. Waiting for the day when the scrollbar is an active link.

2. A.P. Veening Silver badge

So the amount of sympathy I have these days for adslingers and the websites that have chosen to go all-in with their increasingly dodgy ways is so small it could double up as a national standard measurement for the smallest measurable thing imaginable.

Frankly, a bit depending on nationality, but I would go for an international standard.

3. Trigonoceps occipitalis

So 1 sym = The Donald's IQ?

3. martyn.hare
        Happy

Adverts are not the price you pay

Sponsorships are. Notice how the content contributed to the top 5 websites is by and large powered by sponsorships these days? This shows that the personalised advertising business model really doesn’t work because if it did, there would be no need (and thus no demand) for fixed sponsors.

I have seen plenty of sponsored content online but no randomised or personalised adverts… and funny enough, I am a heck of a lot more likely to think about a sponsor which relates to (and supports) content I am interested in.

I think we all know where the future is headed. Google needs to catch up and fast.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Adverts are not the price you pay

"Google needs to catch up and fast."

It won't, because Google manglement is the old Doubleclick people

taking over that outfit was a poison pill

3. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Devil

Never mind ads, Javascript is the problem

It's not just Ads that are obnoxious on the modern web, but the general trend of every webpage loading 100s of JavaScript objects (often obfuscated) from various domains. Some of which run continuously in the background with multiple worker threads, hogging my CPU, tracking my mouse (hopefully not my keyboard too), and exfiltrating as much data as they can get away with.

And the only 'person' we have to trust to tell us that all this javascript is all perfectly safe to run, is er, Google.

I run a Chrome extension called ScriptSafe. It does mean that most websites are broken at first and I have to add some third party site to the whitelist to make it functional. But I don't need an ad blocker because all the ads are invariably pulled in by some dodgy javascript from doubleclick.net or similar - don't load the script and you don't get the ads.

If any site has some nice well-behaved ads that don't slurp my data and don't require cross-domain javascript, then i'll see them and I'm happy with that.

Personally I think that websites that require javascript to perform a function that could easily be provided without it should be banned.

But if google bork ScriptSafe with this update, then I'll just have to stay on the old version of Chrome I suppose, or move to Firefox and use NoScript.. Until they break that with a similar API change because Google told them to.

1. Deanamore

Re: Never mind ads, Javascript is the problem

I used to use NoScript to do the same thing but having so many adverts come from the same place can actually be good if you're willing to buy a small form factor computer and install Pihole on it. Once you blacklist doubleclick and few other big ones then you'll almost never see ads and the browser won't even complain because you're not using an extension.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Pihole ... then you'll almost never see ads and the browser won't even complain because you're not using an extension.

I use Pihole, it is trouble free and highly effective. However, some sites can tell and ask me to remove my ad filter (I have no ad filter running on the browser, just pihole on the LAN). But most just show empty spaces.

2. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge

Would that I had more than one upvote to give you. It's not so much the ads, it's the surveillance.

I use NoScript in much the same way.

3. nagi

Yeah, but unfortunately advertisers started learning and there are some solutions to actually load ads as if they were local on the server.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

And those are (more) reasonable.

If I watch F1 I don't mind the sponsors names on the cars. I don't mind ad images embedded in a magazine article, chosen by the magazine with some idea of their brand having some responsibility

I object to 1000s of pop-ups, random ads for stuff I'm not interested in, dating ads at work, autoplay video etc. that's why I have piHole and Brave

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

People don't care

They put up with Mozilla's complete dicking-over of Firefox. They'll put up with this.

1. Sleep deprived

Re: People don't care

Or stay with an older version. On Android, I'm locked at 68.11.0, that still allowed Cookie AutoDelete and featured a decent tab management (except for automatic offloading :(

2. Blarkon

The EFF has always been a Google cheerleading group - they won't grow a spine now.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

re: EFF being a "Google chearleading group"

don't be so sure... this may be the proverbial straw we all need to convince them of the error of their ways, FINALLY breaking the camel's back while those of us in the REAL world say "see I told you so".

3. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Thumb Down

I have been using Firefox since it was Phoenix, and I don't understand this "dicking over" you're talking about. Maybe try adapting to change?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What did Firefox do? they seem to be a good browser.

3. tekHedd

Mozilla, so careful

Is it just me or does Mozilla sound scared? They should be. Their purpose is to appear as "competition" and participate in "public forums" and "discussion" in the same way that "interviewing 5 candidates" is often followed by "hiring the boss's nephew." Forgetting this could be very dangerous to various careers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mozilla, so careful

I thought Mozilla was just a beard for Big G's monopoly

1. nagi

It is. The only thing Mozilla as a company cares about is fat payday for the management unfortunately. The best that could happen to it is a collapse, but Google won't let that happen, even if they have to prop the corpse up.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Thing is Firefox is still very good and many are starting to use it again.

1. David 132 Silver badge

It's a good browser despite Mozilla's best efforts, not because of them, alas.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Proof?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

deal breaker

as much as I use the conveniences of chrome across many devices, I will switch if they disable the extensions that make the web *tolerable*

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: deal breaker

To what?

90% are based on Chrome. That's why it's such a big issue.

1. keithpeter Silver badge

Just what I do...

/etc/hosts file set up with one of those curated hosts files that block many of the add serving domains

Chromium and Firefox kept for Websites with significant program-based content that I actually want (generative art sites and so forth), 'tube &c, along with private browsing windows for online banking and govt web sites.

Seamonkey for random stuff (bit slow and some 'modern' css does not work too well)

Something like uzbl or surf invoked for news/information sites. Can be invoked with javascript off.

Basically moving to a LoFi Web which is mostly text and pictures.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

/etc/hosts file

It is a lot easier to add a new (sub)domain to a Pi-Hole than to your hosts file. As a side benefit, all devices on your home network share the benefit.

Thumb Up

Seconded for Pi-Hole. It's a game-changer and much more powerful than the /etc/hosts solution.

I lost power at my home earlier this morning and for a while my Pi-Hole DNS box was down along with the rest of my network. Browsiing on my phone over cellular was miserable. So many adverts!

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Stop

Opera, Brave and Vivaldi have stated that they won't be implementing this change:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/opera-brave-vivaldi-to-ignore-chromes-anti-ad-blocker-changes-despite-shared-codebase/

5. razorfishsl

Google ensuring it is the ONLY ad platform, and you aint gonna control the shit you see on your computer.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Actually… no. Simple solution: don’t use Chrome or stuff sufficiently closely derived from Chrome as to have also killed ad-blockers. This boils down to Safari and Firefox. Turn on your ad-blockers. Cruise.

I usually use Firefox.

I’m sure that once Chrome kills ad-blockers, there will be additional browsers which can allow ad-blockers, just not based on Chromium. Or maybe a fork of Chromium which kills the blocker-killer. Or something. There will be two populations on the Web:

1. Chrome/Chromium users

2. Ad-free users.

Some websites will be hostile towards ad-free users; some sites already are. I see such a site, I go elsewhere. So far I have been able to do what I want. If I absolutely positively must use Chrome, I do so from inside a VM with everything locked down tightly and certain settings modified so as to not reflect my actual system. Including a VPN. Google can get data, just not correct data.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>> "I see such a site, I go elsewhere"

I see such a site, I disable javascript and read the site, 99% of the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Pint

Have one of these on me.

Thumb Up

I've found that most of my frequently-used sites are fine without JS. The awkward exceptions are Allmusic.com and TheTVDB.com (which, since its last redesign, seems to deliberately load its content from the sketchiest-sounding domains possible).

Ironically, even the bay that is piratey seems to work better without JS (and with uBlock Origin, NoScript and Pi-Hole all in force) than those two above.

2. Smirnov

I usually use Firefox.

Not sure if Firefox is any better, as Mozilla is engaging heavily in "acceptable ads" in its browser:

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/privacy-2/2021/10/firefox-reveals-sponsored-ad-suggestions-in-search-and-address-bar/

Mozilla certainly wants its part of the web ads pie.

1. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

Re: I usually use Firefox.

Yes, Firefox is much better and I hope when Google continues on this route that a slew of their users will move over to Firefox.

Although of course, Firefox pushing DNS-over-HTTPS has nothing to do with stymieing DNS-based adblocking, and is all about user privacy. Yup.

1. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

I don't know what you're getting at. All the DoH providers have been carefully selected and have promised not to use the service to infringe on their users' privacy.

Aside from that, it's not turned on by default.

2. b0llchit Silver badge
      Flame

And that is why google is in trouble or will soon be in trouble. Just like MS and apple, google is a dictator. They want to control all sides of the revenue streams and use market power to subvert. Unfortunately, it takes ages to correct the situation and we all suffer in the meantime.

1. Blarkon

Given that Google, Apple and Facebook are to the Democrats what the oil and military industrial industry are to the Republicans, there is no way that they will be brought to heel like Microsoft was a generation ago.

1. sabroni Silver badge
          Facepalm

Good grief.

If you're going to watch Fox can't you at least try and get some balance from a less rabid news source?

2. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge

Under Biden they seem to have rediscovered their cojones. There are signs that the '80s attack on anti trust enforcement is being rolled back.

3. Fred Daggy Silver badge

Agreed. And this is why it is a monopoly. Effective dominance of the browser platform (Mozilla and Apple devices notwithstanding) and near dominance of the Internet Advertising platform. This is effectively bundling and needs to be undone.

They can have one, but not the other.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reverse gear

I used to rely on software like Proxomitron and Admuncher to intercept web traffic and filter unwanted content before the browser saw it.

Seems like a much more reliable solution, if we can no longer trust monopoly browsers owned by ad brokers.

7. Blackjack Silver badge

The only real option ua to stop using Chrome and Chrome based web browsers unfortunately that's over 90% of web browsers around.

1. vtcodger Silver badge

/etc/hosts

I think that for many (not all) users, the hosts file can still be used to block access to most advertisement slinging sites. The current version at http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm blocks about 10,000 sites. It works on Linux, probably on BSD and Windows. Maybe elsewhere.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
        Pint

Re: /etc/hosts

There are also lists of curated hosts file entries that try to block F'book and all its tentacles

2. A.P. Veening Silver badge

While it works, it gets repetitive with multiple computers to protect (children and other dependents having their own computer), with a Pi-Hole you can protect them all in one go.

Indeed. To use a relevant analogy, why hard-code your page appearance in HTML? It's not 1998 any more. Use style-sheets.

(Yeah, I know. I am the Bergholt Stuttley Johnson of coming up with analogies.)

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Stop

Opera, Brave and Vivaldi won't be implementing it:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/opera-brave-vivaldi-to-ignore-chromes-anti-ad-blocker-changes-despite-shared-codebase/

8. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Fork it and wave goodbye

There are plenty of good Chromium forks to free you from Google's BS. I'm looking to unlock my phone's bootloader to get off the stock Android 11 dumpster fire as soon as 3rd party ROMs exist. Google's address space is rejected on my mail server because it's a solid source of phishing emails.

Google is crapping on the tech industry before people have forgotten the alternatives.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Fork it and wave goodbye

The Chromium forks will also have this.

Devil

what if they support the OLD API in parallel? Is there some technical reason why they can NOT ???

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Because Google will change as much of the code as possible to make this difficult.

Chromium can back port the fixes but it then needs a mass of programmers to keep up with Google.

9. DownUndaRob

Will they then pay me?

Will google pay me to download the data they are forcing on me to enable the display of these unwanted graphics?

The whole world doesn't have unlimited data plans, some of us still live on quotas.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will they then pay me?

Will you pay the websites for the data you download? They also need to pay for traffic.

Meh

Re: Will they then pay me?

in the case of web sites it is their choice to provide the content.

In the case of users with their phones, the bandwidth theft is STEALTHY

10. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Why do people stil pay attention to anything Google says

Somehow still trying to engage in a useful form of dialogue with G.

It should be pretty obvious by now that it's pointless. Google will do only what Google wants to do.

Disassociate the phony image Google has paid $millions to manufacture from the reality of what Google actually is.

Re: Why do people stil pay attention to anything Google says

Like politicians or public servants.

Don't pay any attention to what they say.

Watch what they do.

11. EricB123 Bronze badge

It (almost) Worked for Apple

Just say the current extensions are needed to block child porn, and the replacements will allow child porn to become rampant.

1. Dinanziame Silver badge

Re: It (almost) Worked for Apple

If I understand correctly, the pretext is security. It's not really possible to build an adblockers extension without giving the extension wide rights to see and transmit your surfing activity. Specifically, the new rules would prevent the transmission of that data, which is crucial for adblockers to check their database of ad services, but can also be used to spy on the user.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: It (almost) Worked for Apple

There's lots of extensions I trust at least or more so than Chrome itself... (they so love sending data back to the mothership if possible, check settings carefully if you must use chrome)

I don't install extensions I don't trust.

I'm at far more risk with reduced ability to block things via extensions than I am at risk of a "rogue" extension

12. doublelayer Silver badge

Bad example

I am firmly in support of the EFF here, but the example cited in the article is not a great way of arguing for it:

For example, a school district administrator posted last month about trying to rewrite his extension under the new APIs and finding that his extension can no longer use geolocation to track lost or stolen devices or monitor battery percentage to know when a battery needs replacement.

If you're doing device management from a browser extension, you're doing it wrong. Identifying a stolen device by waiting for the thief to, presumably, log in as the user they stole it from and then use the school's preferred browser is a fool's errand. The best bet using normal tools is to have a background task started on boot which reports information if the machine's online. That won't survive an erase either, but it will at least not require a very specific set of actions to have a chance. As for monitoring battery conditions, that strikes me as a good example of something an extension shouldn't do. An extension has no need to look at a battery, and it's likely a good fingerprinting technique. That's also something a background task can check and report about.

A browser extension should be able to interact with the facilities and actions of a browser, and that's what Google has been taking away. I think the point is best argued with the more obvious benefits that provides.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Bad example

I assume this one is for Chromebooks, in which case the browser is the thing and the whole of the thing.

Obviously a miscreant could nuke'n'pave, but that's a way to avoid any such tools unless they insert themselves into the BIOS or equivalent.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

"I assume this one is for Chromebooks"

Well, he has another problem if he sold his soul to Google... and deserves that.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Bad example

I admit I didn't think of Chromebooks. I would hope that, since Google has been selling these to schools with the claim that they're easy to manage, that you don't need to write custom code to check where one is. After all, all phones logged into Apple or Google's systems can handle autoreporting location for lost or stolen devices. But if that's incorrect, more evidence that Chromebooks are not suitable for lots of locations.

13. Slx

Web standards …

The biggest threat to the internet is Google dominating and breaking web standards and Chrome becoming de facto, non-optional to guarantee smooth access to various websites.

It happened years ago with Internet Explorer in its hay day, and it undermined competition and hindered technology development until that stranglehold eventually broke down. We were all stuck with suboptimal performance in other browsers, and on non-Windows machines and IE itself bloated into what was a mess that had little incentive to improve, as it was the dominant, and highly broken standard bearer.

The big competition regulators need to act. The EU might be the one that takes the lead here as I don’t think the US seems to be competent in competition law in recent years - it’s too focused on culture wars and entirely about pandering to powerful lobbyists. The days of competent federal US agencies seem to be behind us.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: Web standards …

You are exactly right.

Just the other day I opened a ticket for a web application. Works in Chrome, works in recent Firefox, doesn't work in Firefox ESR. Can't _paste_ into a textbox, for crying out loud. Support's answer was, upgrade Firefox.

It's *exactly* the same thing that happened with IE, back then my own employer was a prime offender, and believe it or not we *still* rely on old internal web apps that only work on IE. New internal web apps only work on Chrome, so we didn't learn anything in 20 years. Because of market dominance web developers will test against Chrome. Any other browser except recent Chrome will be rapidly "not supported". In order not to have their market share dwindle even further, "competing" browsers will also try to match Chrome -- which is the exact opposite of true competition.

14. Deanamore

If there were any kind of standards with regards to browser adverts or an online ASA then I wouldn't mind so much. Unfortunately it's up to the site to decide so maybe they'll be decent and ban ads which play noises, flash, move when you scroll, create obnoxious popups, provide misleading/downright false claims or a dozen other things which deserve to be blocked, but an awful lot don't. So blockers have consequently been around for ages because websites refuse to regulate themselves and nobody else will. If Google decide to strongarm their browsers then, in the long term, it'll just mean fewer people using them and an inevitable rise of another more popular one. Remember why Chrome became popular in the first place? Because it was fast and provided an excellent choice for web developers. If that's now going to be compromised by a return to the days of "You're the 10,000 visitor! Click here for your free laptop" then good riddance. You're never too big to fail.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

filter ads

You can also use a proxy to filter out trash. Could be implemented in SOHO routers, too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: filter ads

Most SOHO routers (<$130) are a pain to customize. Pihole on LAN is convenient, although if Pihole were ever compromised it would be on your LAN. Proxying through a VPN to a VPS (e.g., Linode) which is running Pihole software (without the Pi hardware) is popular but - more complexity, more potential failure points, $5/mo for the VPS.

I set up Pihole on a Pi on the LAN a few years ago and it has been working perfectly since then. No noticeable difference from uBlock Origin as far as Ads go, and it works for everybody on the LAN, whether they want it or not.

16. CynicalOptimist

As an alternative to ad blocking extensions in the browser, you can try a curated hosts file such as https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

It worked well for my laptop - not but easy to get to it working on a mobile device.

Eventually, I moved to Pi-hole running on a Raspberry pi zero (which uses the same block list as above). It's been up for over a year now and blocks most ads on any device connected to my network at home. If you want to extend this to working outside of your home network, I believe you can also configure Pi-hole to act as a VPN.

17. Unicornpiss
    Alert

Monopoly?

There are monopoly laws in the USA that have been invoked to split up companies that have gotten too powerful for the common good. This led to the "Bell breakup" in the 1980s for similar behavior in trying to completely corner the market, and with other companies in using their position to strong arm their customers. (think Intel) I'm not sure if this can be directly applied, as other companies are apparently going along with these standards 'voluntarily'. But it does raise eyebrows. Amazon is kind of approaching this critical mass as well.

For now, I will keep using Firefox until the day that Mozilla caves to the pressure, or all of the forks can no longer run the web apps I use. Hopefully everyone (including Google, which has the best overall "ecosystem" for devices and automation IMO) comes to their senses and realizes that user experience is at least somewhat important, and should not always take a back seat to revenue. But every time someone makes a better mousetrap, mice get smarter too. So I am somewhat confident that there will always be workarounds.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Monopoly?

> user experience is at least somewhat important

Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) is the only thing important, and is has to be steadily rising from year to year and quarter to quarter to placate shareholders, that's why all top managers are constantly running around in circles.

Note I don't say that's good, just that in reality user experience isn't anywhere in the company goals: Satisfy your clients and make less money, and the board will have your head on a platter.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Erix

"Moreover, the EFF's repeated harping on this point reflects a sense in the developer community that Google says it listens to community input but fails to translate that input into meaningful changes to its plans."

The famous line from Krylov's fable "The cook and the cat" comes to mind:

А Васька слушает, да ест

19. Real Ale is Best
    Boffin

I guess I finally need to get around to implementing a piHole on my home network.

Thumb Up

Do it. It's super easy. Just a cheap low-cost RPi or Intel NUC, and configure your DHCP server to point to it as your DNS server. Game-changing.

20. Meeker Morgan

There will be more countermeasures.

The arms race continues. There will be no final winner.

Remember pop-up ads and how some websites said they needed them?

This is like that.

21. jollyboyspecial

Brave

Just the title

22. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

Sounds familiar

This sounds eerily like Microsoft, who claims at each new release of Windows that the security has once again been improved. However, every day we seem thousands of incidents where hundreds of Windows PC's are being encrypted with ransomware. So, despite all these so called "improvements" ransomware gangs seem to have no problem encrypting filesystems of every PC in the network.

23. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Holmes

Pi-Hole for Home

Blokada for Mobile

Firefox with Ublock Origin for laptop

I see basically no ads.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why does anyone

use a browser made by one of the biggest suckers of user data? Would anyone use a Facebook browser? I see no difference between Google or Facebook.

Guess the clue is in the word "sucker"

25. mark l 2 Silver badge

This is one of the problems of the majority of mainstream browsers all being based off one engine. Since Google control the code they can steer if to where its beneficial to them.

Sure Brave or Vivaldi can fork Chromium before manifest v3 is implemented and maintain their own flavour with manifest V2 still enabled, but eventually so much code will change between their forks and Google Chrome that the Chrome 'compatibility' will be broken. And then people will switch back to Chrome from them thinking its these alternative browser that are at fault, rather than the lazy developers only checking their code works correctly on Chrome

26. Chet Mannly

Adguard DNS gets around all of that

I started using adguard DNS and haven't seen a single ad since.

It's another good option.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A better approach

Would be to murder the top 1500 people at Google, burn their houses down and exile their families to Antarctica

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: A better approach

That's bad idea, but I'm not going to vote you either way because it's probably not as bad as the current Ad environment where we're all being eaten. Google and Facebook are effectively cannibals and we're all just lunch.

2. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: A better approach

Would be to murder the top 1500 people at Google, burn their houses down and exile their families to Antarctica

Oh great. Another wishy-washy, soft-on-crime, bleeding-heart liberal.

28. Ben 56

Navigator > IE > Firefox > Chrome > Brave.

This is just part of the natural cycle of things cf. title.

Browser starts to suck or bloat - everybody just moves to the next one that doesn't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like