back to article President Biden orders transformation of 'Federal Customer Experience'

United States president Joe Biden has issued an executive order designed to modernise government services, especially online. The Executive Order on Transforming Federal Customer Experience and Service Delivery to Rebuild Trust in Government argues that poorly designed government services impose a "time tax" on citizens and …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Customer survey email

Thank you for being a black victim of a police shooting at a traffic stop.

Would you describe your experience:

A, Effiicient

B, Slow

C, Can't reply I'm a dead

Do you feel that being hit by a full clip of 9 bullets was

A, An efficient use of police resource

B, Wasteful of public money

If you had the opportunity to book your next police shooting at a time convenient for you

A, That sounds good

B, No I like the unpredictability

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Customer survey email..how pathetic..

Ha. Ha. How funny..

Let me guess. You dont live in the US, you have not interacted with l.e.o's for many decades and are completely ignorant of the relevant statistics. But that does not stop you from being a smug ignorant tw*t.

And yes I have been pulled over for multiple traffic stops because at various time over the decades I had the wrong sort of car in the wrong sort of neighborhood. The first time was with the LAPD in the 1980's. Fun people. If you ever crossed the East German border in the Good Old Days you would have met people just like them.

The second time was when it turned out I bough a used car that was favored by local small time drug dealers . Got tailed a lot by police cruisers in that car. And I'm very white and very middle class. Once I worked out what was going on I just made it easy for the police cruiser to do the drive by passenger check. Did not get annoyed, just gave them a polite smile. Because I know how the local drug dealers work. They just love doing drive-by shootings. No matter how many innocent people are in the firing line.

Everyone knows the drill. Be courteous , be professional and everything works out fine. Start playing games and expect your ass to get kicked. And if you checked the stats you know that black l.e.o's are less likely to hold back than the white ones. With all races. And that's been true since at least the LA Riots.

Here is a good guide for any Brits visiting the US who try to treat US l.e.o's with the same kind of disrespect they would try with the UK plods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Heard a funny story of a Brit who tried that in LA many years ago during a traffic stop. Treated the LA PD officers the same way he treated local police back home in Manchester. Did not go well for him. After a few days in the city jail he was deported. For resisting arrest after picking an argument with the LA PD officers. Turns out you cannot mouth-off in LA to the police like you can back home in Salford.

Ha. Ha. How funny..

1. John Robson Silver badge

"And I'm very white and very middle class...

Everyone knows the drill. Be courteous , be professional and everything works out fine. Start playing games and expect your ass to get kicked. "

There speaks the voice of someone who isn't in a minority (a lofty position I share).

When I get that post from a young black man or a muslim then I will give it more weight.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Let me guess. You dont live in the US, you have not interacted with l.e.o's for many decades

I'm white, middle aged, drive a Subaru and live in a rural town in the Pacific North West. The local LEO are most likely to stop me to hand over baked goods from their wife.

Ironically I'm way safer over here from a militarised police than I was being a catholic kid living in Belfast.

2. Qarumba
      Mushroom

Re: Customer survey email

Good to see a racist as the first to comment on this story because, let's face it, only innocent black people get shot by the police in America, all the white people who get shot are criminals!

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Customer survey email

"pandering to the perception" is NOT comedy. Neither is injecting race.

2. Death Boffin
    FAIL

One ring to rule them all

After the OPM breach debacle, I really don't one logon for my interactions with Social Security, Medicare, IRS, etc. Keeping them in their own domains has some advantages.

3. HatHatHatHatHat

Smell of a unicorn startup in the air... soon to be followed by a major personal data breach to the boot ☺

1. Horst U Rodeinon
      Stop

It will never come to pass

Too many bureaucratic fiefdoms in play.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

a unicorn - you DO have a point!

Sadly...

4. cantankerous swineherd

sounds like gov.uk

1. bazza Silver badge

I thought so too. I've recently done some fairly large transactions via the UK gov websites, and generally speaking they do work with a minimum of crap and zero glitz.

I don't know how well they cope with corner cases, but judging from the way they walk you through the rules, I'm guessing that they mostly have the rules fully covered. There could be problems with the rules of course...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Interactions

As a regular user of various US government websites, they are, for the most part, not bad but they tend to act in isolation. Enhanced interactions would be a plus.

Unfortunately for ElReg, PACER is part of the Judiciary branch and is not affected. You'll need to contact the Supreme Court.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Interactions

be careful what you wish for... google analytics and CAPTCHA are TWO bad things I can think of at the moment (Cali-Forn-You already has CAPTCHA on their web pages)

6. bazza Silver badge

Leaf Out of HM Gov's Book

Sounds like they're going to copy UK gov Web design policy. There's even a publicly available standard for UK gov Web design, guaranteed to work for most people on most browsers with the most accessibility support.

Boring, but subtlety sophisticated.

1. Richard Cranium

Re: Leaf Out of HM Gov's Book

I disagree:

Links that seem to send you to a more relevant page that has a link that seems to get you closer to your goal which turns out to be a page that sends you back to where you started.

Use of terminology that might be fine for the well-educated intelligent user but not your average joe.

Not everyone is as smart as readers of The Register.

Maybe a comic book version (https://medium.com/war-is-boring/this-u-s-army-comic-book-has-cavemen-dinosaurs-and-tips-on-how-to-blow-up-tanks-d0afbe1c14bb) would be going too far but these sites really do need to cater for the widest community of potential users.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like