back to article AWS postmortem: Internal ops teams' own monitoring tools went down, had to comb through logs

Amazon has published some additional information for last week's US-East-1 outage that revealed its staffers had to pick their way through log files when the web giant's own monitoring tools were hit. Amazon seems not to want to reveal much technical detail about its internal systems. That is somewhat understandable; quite …

1. Androgynous Cow Herd

DNS

It's always DNS

1. Anonymous Coward
      Childcatcher

Re: DNS

Except when it's time synchronisation.

1. Joe Gurman

Or BGP.

2. cyberdummy

Brings to mind this catchy tune https://soundcloud.com/ryan-flowers-916961339/dns-to-the-tune-of-let-it-be

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Crikey - and I thought I couldn't sing. Should've done it in the style of Bill Shatner!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I could tell you a DNS joke but it might take 43200 seconds to get

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

postmortem

People died at Amazon 3 days ago and now that non-related headline... 1st world priorities.

3. Bitsminer Silver badge

multi-platform redundancies needed

In my neighbourhood, the local competitive phone companies use their competitor's mobile phones for communications with the office.

Because, you know, shit happens.

Would AWS take the hint?

Do pigs fly?

4. Lost in Cyberspace

I'm no expert...

But when these big companies keep all their tools on one big platform, is it not putting all the eggs in one basket?

Did this not happen to Facebook / Meta recently?

5. Nafesy
    Flame

Priorities

Put an extra layer of protection around the Nintendo Switch gaming service for next inevitable outage please AWS. Rest can burn.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AWS Managed Services

Can you imagine the conversation

UK Client to AMS "Could you advise as we are unable to raise a request to access our EC2's under this management contract we have with you and need to look at an issue for our client"

AMS "join the club we can not access our own tooling to tell you what is wrong either or even gain access ourselves"

Absolutely no way AWS should have a single point of failure dependent solely on us-east-1 for their own tooling.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like