back to article Flash? Nu-uh. Windows 11 users complain of slow NVMe SSD performance

Users of Windows 11 are complaining about slow write speeds on NVMe SSD drives, a problem which persists even though it was acknowledged by a Microsoft engineer three months ago. Samsung NVMe SSD drivers are among those reported to be slow on Windows 11 Samsung NVMe SSD drives are among those reported to be slow on Windows 11 …

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

I'm glad people have already started to find registry hacks to thwart 11's embuggerances. I'm still going to stick with 10 until I absolutely can't, though.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

I'm still going to stick with 10 7 until I absolutely can't, though.

fixed it for ya!

1. cyberdemon Silver badge

FTFY

I'm going to stick with Linux, thank you very much.

1. Anonymous Coward
          WTF?

Re: FTFY

How did Microsoft manage to sabotage NVMe? On Linux it's biblically fast, I now understand where all the CPU cycles have gone. Microsoft seems to be giving credence that they a a bunch of amateurs.

I know how fast windows 8 can be under Qemu under Linux. I'm guessing they are disappointed.

2. Piro Silver badge

Still get security patches for another year and a bit, with the ESU programme (or some workaround I would surely have no knowledge of).

2. Lost in Cyberspace

Collecting the fixes

I've been collecting these various registry fixes and putting them in one reg file. Very handy when setting up several PCs a week for home users.

2. Swordfish1

Same old crap from MS - its bad enough, they are no supporting, first generation Ryzen processors, with systems that more than able to support Windows 11

Sod of MS, your degenerating into a cash cow.

Perhaps, finally, I'm going to move our network over to a LInux based system.

Sick and tired of MS promising this and that, and are oblivious , to the concerns raised on the Insider program

Are they deaf, blind, or just stupidly ignorant

Me I'm fed up with their excuses, wasting my time, EVERYTIME, they botch up updates, and an update of an update

CS

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...degenerating into a cash cow."

If you thought they were ever focused on anything else, the marketing droids succeeded in their mission.

But no, they're obssessed with profits, same as most mega-corps. The morality of dumping a steaming pile of excrement on the user community has been discussed ad-nauseum in "Dilbert", and Microsoft apparently is run by the King of PHB's. :(

2. Jakester

I manage:

Linux file servers: 3

Linux virtual machine hosts: 3

Linux based network file backup stations/backup vm stations: 3

Windows based servers: 0

Windows based virtual machine hosts: 0

Windows based backup stations/backup vm stations: 0

Personal equipment:

Linux file server/media center/backup: 1

Linux virtual machine hosts for network, server testing: 1

Linux based diagnostic/backup station: 1

Linux/Windows dual boot laptops: 3 (one kept in car for emergency spare)

Linux/Windows dual boot for getting work done: 2 (I can use Windows and Linux at the same time, whichever is best for the task at hand)

Windows only PC: 1 (for wife's use)

Windows only laptop: 1

Windows based servers: 0

My computers are relatively old: typically 5-9 years old. One laptop is just over 1 year old, but the processor does not support Windows 11.

I did perform a test install of Windows 11 on a computer at work. There are enough issues with the continued inconsistent look and feel of Windows that has continued on into 11 that I will only start upgrading those work computers when it becomes necessary. Some people like the glitz of meaningless and time-consuming changes, I like the glitter of consistency.

I never look to Microsoft and say, "That is the solution". I look to Microsoft and say, "That is the problem".

1. Smirnov

Re: Some people like the glitz of meaningless and time-consuming changes

"Some people like the glitz of meaningless and time-consuming changes, I like the glitter of consistency."

And other people are simply fed up with the shitshow that Windows 10 has been from the start, including the half-assed attempts to replace the Control Panel with different versions of non-working replacements, or two separate UIs for keyboard/mouse operation and touch operation of which the first one just sucks and the latter one is nothing more than a pile of horse manure (MS managed to ruin Windows 8.1's touch UI, which is quite an achievement).

Some people also work across different operating system platforms (all which use a completely different UI from Windows 10) and have little trouble adapting to changes in an UI.

I'm one of these, and frankly I really like the UI changes in Windows 10, such as the new Settings which actually work very well or the fact that we now have a single UI which works fine on both keyboard/mouse and touch devices.

Of all the PCs I have Windows 11 installed, only one is actually supported, and the oldest one is from 2013. And so far Windows 11 has been better for me than Windows 10 ever was. Granted, it's all high quality business grade hardware (mostly HP z series workstations) but it's been completely fine so far.

1. Smirnov

Re: Some people like the glitz of meaningless and time-consuming changes

"I really like the UI changes in Windows 10"

Yeah, that should read Windows 11 obviously ;)

2. elaar

1. We don't care what you manage.

2. What do servers, fileservers, webservers, VMs have to do with everyday users putting windows on their machine?

Sure we all love linux, and hate that our old parents use windows, but why does the long pointless list of "servers you manage" have to do with Windows 11?

3. Tams

No one asked.

What is it with the number of people in the Linux/GNU community who insist on making sure everyone knows they use it?

3. BOFH in Training

I got 2 laptops at home, which are capable of being upgraded to Windows 11, including the latest Lenovo Legion 7 with the Ryzen 9 5900HX CPU and RTX 3800 mobile GPU.

No plans to to inflict Windows 11 on them for the forseeable future.

Maybe I will revisit this in another 6 months or 6 years, whatever seems reasonable at that time.

3. fidodogbreath
    Meh

Wait for Windows 12, I guess

Seems like Microsoft is maintaining its tradition that every other major Windows release is, um, sub-optimal.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Wait for Windows 12, I guess

Windows 11 is just released, so everyone is doing an evaluation, issues like this are discovered and will get fixed in a month or two ... it will probably be a fine system working well when Windows 12 is released so that users can discover the new issues.

There's no point in complaining because it's not "fixed" anything in Windows for years now ... we're all just custom... Err, debuggers.

1. Aitor 1

W10 wasn't this bad when released.

Yes it had issues, but not so terrible.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
          WTF?

Win 10 release >

Forced update - PCs taking forever to boot for no apparent reason.

3rd party (expensive) software vanishing because W10 didn't like the look of it

Win 10 ongoing >

ongoing updates - Why has xxxxx appeared / changed / gone?

This is just from my elderly parents who had 'everything' they needed on Win7 which had been stable for years.

If this is not so terrible what is?

2. Adrian 4

Have they improved, then ? It used to be that only every third version was usable.

3. Francis King

Like Star Trek.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft, masters of mediocre

The only things they seem good at are buffer overflows and stealing user's data.

1. ITMA Silver badge

Re: Microsoft, masters of mediocre

I don't know....

They appear to have managed to scale up the philosophy of the "Focused Inbox" (YUK!!!) roll-out debacle and made it the basis for an entire OS - nobody asked for it, nobody wanted it, yet you are having it anyway.

'AV SUM!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NVMe

Even in Windows 10, Microsoft's NVMe driver was slower than Intel's, Samsung's, and even the OFED NVMe driver.

I wonder if anybody has tried installing Samsung's driver on 11 to see if it fixes the issue?

6. Wolfclaw

I have the Samsung NVMe 3.3.0.2003 installed under W11 and no issues.

1. Smirnov

Same here, I haven't seen any performance degradation over Windows 10 with my systems (which all use Micron 7300 or 9200 series SSDs).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Astonishing!

It’s like the Vista copy “engine” fiasco all over again. 1 byte per year transfer speed without leaving the PC.

Somehow Linux just manages with its simple cp command. No engine. And yet - it works, and quickly too.

Microsoft is Raymond Chen, five cohorts and 15,000 f•••wits. And that includes Sadnad.

8. phil_4

Rushed? We know why... because without the fancy new scheduler 12th Gen Intel procs with their fancy P/E core stuff wouldn't have worked so well. They both needed to ship at the same time.

9. Hastings Bob

Am I missing sumfing

I have three NVMe drives on Windoze 11 and according to my testing they are all performing at near maximum speed for their technology. The OS drive is running at 6698 MB/s read 5036 MB/s write. Randoms are 878173 read and 337890 write. The other two drives are older tech and they only get to about 3000 read. What am I doing wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Am I missing sumfing

What am I doing wrong?

Using Windows 11.

2. bobkn

Re: Am I missing sumfing

I dislike people who post "me, too", but...

Me too.

10. Dreams65

After one day of use, I rolled back my system to Windows 10. When the developers pull their heads out of the their orifices and give the users what they want and something that really works, then maybe I'll install 11 again. With every version since 8, It seems that Microsoft is corralling users into an eco system that only Microsoft wants, regardless of user desires and feedback. If this continues I'll eventually switch to Linux.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The more I read, the happier I am that my box wasn't compatible with 11 due to the lack of an optional TPM 2.0 module.

Microsoft is seriously trying to outdo the Vista debacle, which handily exceeded the mess that was Win 98SE. *LOL*

They seem to be on an upwards trending curve - in terms of number of known defects at release. :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@msobkow - I disabled TPM in BIOS on my computer

and Secure Boot too, just as an added precaution so now Windows 10 tells me my computer is not compatible with Windows 11. I'm so sad! What ? Buying a new computer ? Nah, I might be sad but I'm not insane.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...which handily exceeded the mess that was Win 98SE.

Have you forgotten about Windows ME? That was far far worse than 98SE (which was actually pretty good from what I recall).

3. Piro Silver badge

98 SE

Wait, what was wrong with 98 SE? The way I remember it, the issues were with base Windows 98, and SE was a more polished release.

4. Ramis101

Mess that was 98SE???

Me thinks you are confused there. 98SE was as rock solid as Windows got when it was year-number-versioned.

ME was the nose-dive point

12. EricB123 Bronze badge

From Startup Mode to "Ultracompetitive Mode"

I was a beta tester for Windows 95. It was an unbelievable amount of work each night. A CD would be on my doorstep every evening and I had to run a series of tests on my computer and report my findings to Microsoft (either by phone or CompuServe). But, they certainly were very appreciative for my efforts. Dinners at The Space Needle, beer busts for all of the beta testers, a night before party in downtown Seattle, and an invitation for the Win 95 all day party at the Microsoft campus. Loads of free software.

Somehow this company, which really appreciated working with the community of computer nerds became a selfish, "take it or leave it" company. I have heard the new term for this is "ultracompetitive behavior".

Whatever the term is, it just truly sucks.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: From Startup Mode to "Ultracompetitive Mode"

Now that everyone's a beta tester they can't afford to make all that fuss over them.

2. Wade Burchette

I thought the new term was "agile".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

FTFY

You missed the first two letters from the new mode that M$ have moved Windows to - it's "fragile"

13. Fursty Ferret

Interesting. I ditched Windows 11 and went back to Windows 10 after discovering that big file copy operations (particularly involving lots of smaller files) would slow to a crawl and eventually cause Explorer to hang completely. Teracopy fixed the problem on a short-term basis, proving that it wasn't hardware related, but to be honest I'm quite happy on Windows 10 and see no reason to go back to the half-baked mess that is Windows 11.

14. Piro Silver badge

Let's be honest here

The only people that installed Windows 11 were those who it was forced on, were testing it for some actual reason, or the last, large group: people who don't value their time.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Let's be honest here

I'm guessing the biggest group will be the ones it just happens to. i e. Ordinary users in SOHO set ups.

2. Tams

Re: Let's be honest here

Well, I installed it out of choice.

Sure, there were some issues at first, but it's run fine for a while now. And yes, some stupid UI changes haven't been reverted (and some likely never will), but there are enough ways around almost all of them.

Windows 11 is how I like my OS now.

15. Abominator

So many problems.

Seems Microsoft charges customers for Beta's these days.

16. elaar

Windows 10: Create a cloud login (no thanks), 1 update later (you need to login to the cloud for superb benefits, no thanks), repeat for ever...... F-off MS

How long to the forced cloud login?

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Now then. Briefly, when I set up my current new PC I had it one a cloud (i.e. Microsoft) account. ( Just rushing the set up process a bit).

And I couldn't get the shared folders to be, err shared or even seen on my other PCs.

Not, that is, until I put it on to a local account, which is what my other PCs are on. At which point the shares magically appeared.

So while I was already pretty resistant to letting Win 11 on to this nice shiny new computer there is absolutely no way I will let it on if there is any chance of it buggering up my shared areas..

17. tygrus.au

I consider Windows 11 is still in beta testing.

18. Potemkine! Silver badge

Windows is like Star Trek movies, one every two is to be forgotten.

19. razorfishsl

This of course has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the fact that this manufacturer & others

have recently been caught "substituting" chip-sets for cheaper less performant rubbish.

Same product "same specs" , but on an analysis several tech publications found removed chip numbers & changed controllers ,which wre known to be more problematic.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love Apple.

1. yakacm

Ahh, so sad when love is unreciprocated.

21. W.S.Gosset

Re: hard to find new features that make it worth upgrading

"up"?

22. yakacm

Not too sure what they are doing wrong, I have 2 Samsung 1Tb Gen4 SSD's in raid 0, and I get over 14000 MB/s read and nearly 11000 MB/s on my Win 11 machine.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Impressive, What's your Mobo & RAID controller?

1. yakacm

Hi it's a ASUS Z690 Hero, as for the raid controller, I just used Windows Computer Management and striped the drives, which I guess is raid 0, sometimes the old ways are the best. I tried using Intel's rapid storage technology driver, which was a total faff, you have to go the BIOS and change the discs to VMD, and it took me ages to find the driver that worked with my board and when I had finished the speed was, slower by about 15-20%, and obviously the change to VMD isn't reversable so I had to re-install Windows11, stop laughing at the back.

23. JBowler

Ha; a very clear lesson here...

> Microsoft got back to us to say that a fix for this issue is in a preview build of Windows 11 issued on November 22nd.

And Who else gets back to you? You can easily refute this yet I suggest, not Apple, not NVidia, now Fanny Adams. The latter has, of course, a very good excuse.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like