back to article Microsoft: What's that? A patch for make-me-admin vuln? Sorry – can't hear you. Have a new jumper instead

Users wondering if Microsoft is going to do anything about the holes in its flagship operating system will be relieved to note it has found time to fiddle with Paint dialogs and unleash another Christmas jumper. Despite yet another make-me-admin vulnerability turning up in products last week, Microsoft has fiddled with its …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

"Feeling good while you’re looking good"

You're selling an Operating System, not a Lifestyle Support System.

For God's sake do your job already before branching out into competing with Bed Bath & Beyond.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Pascal Monett - Re: "Feeling good while you’re looking good"

Actually that's what Microsoft intends to do, make Windows a (miserable) lifestyle product.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: @Pascal Monett - "Feeling good while you’re looking good"

Intends to do? ITYM has done. The entire OS has been sliding downhill at an ever increasing velocity for about the last 20 years or so.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
          Linux

Re: @Pascal Monett - "Feeling good while you’re looking good"

I didnt know windows had gone uphill at any point to be able to slide downhill...

Just glad I found another OS for doing real work.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Feeling good while you’re looking good"

I take it you mean: "Bed-bath and beyond", as in the hospital situation of being scrubbed down in situ and fed insipid sludge while unable to put up any resistance...

3. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
      Unhappy

Re: "Feeling good while you’re looking good"

I noticed the new "coming soon" in Excel as well. No new features or bug fixes, it's just been on the ugly pills again.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We assume those engineers responsible could not detect the odour of burning from elsewhere aboard the good ship Windows."

Nah, give the guys a break. If you are in the band on the Titanic, there's not much you can do to fix below-waterline damage, so you might as well play music, right?

1. Gerhard den Hollander

In retrospect, they should have helped shoveling the burning coal overboard...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. jake Silver badge

This isn't about Titanic ... That ship already sank.

This is about avoiding similar ships built using similar plans by the same company, especially when sailing in waters with known sea ice.

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Trollface

Battle cry from the OS wars : "Windows suuuuuuucks!"

1. jake Silver badge

All OSes suck.

Some are just well known for sucking more than others.

1. phear46
        Paris Hilton

Re: All OSes suck.

Icon very much related

4. PeterM42
    FAIL

There was a good Windows once........

Windows 7.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@PeterM42 - Re: There was a good Windows once........

And it still is, at least on my machines.

2. jake Silver badge

Re: There was a good Windows once........

That's a few years younger than I would pick.

Win2K was peak Microsoft.

1. Tim99 Silver badge
        Windows

NT 3.51? Just before the Explorer/Windows 95 crud was incorporated.

3. simonlb Silver badge

Windows 7 was the only version of Windows I ever willingly bought. Sadly though, the frequency of the updates got very tedious so that is when I also started playing around with Linux. When MS eventually started pushing updates to remove options from the update manager before putting out GWX to force feed you Win 10 that was the final straw and I ditched Windows completely.

5. Clausewitz 4.0
    Devil

Patch

I believe most offensive folks are already incorporating automated make-me-admin vuln into their tools, making the chances of a complete domain takeover, automated, highly likely, if an attacker has a minimal foothold in a Windows domain environment.

Let's see the scale of the damage if M$ cannot fix this before years-end.

6. emfiliane

Would you rather...

...have the UI designers put in charge of the kernel patching? Sounds like a recipe for chaos.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Would you rather...

"have the UI designers put in charge of the kernel patching?"

Seeing as Redmond's Marketing department is clearly calling the shots for Engineering, I rather suspect this is the what is actually happening.

Thankfully, there are viable alternates to Windows.

2. simonlb Silver badge

I'd happily horse whip the UI designers until they start doing their fucking job properly.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I'd happily horse whip the UI designers until they start doing their fucking job properly."

Remember the old days when the UI was more or less fixed but left a fair amount of scope for the user to customise it to suit themselves? Adjustable width borders, pick your own colours, set your own sound alerts etc? MS even sold actual themes you could install for a more joined up but different look for those less adept at design continuity. It seems theses days, it all must look the same for all users, the MS way or the highway.

3. Clausewitz 4.0
      Devil

I thought UI designers were already doing this job of kernel patching.. For all the GDI exploits available :-)

7. TaabuTheCat

Patch an admin elevation bug??

Ha, ha. What are you thinking??!! They are waaay too busy adding BNPL to Edge. Priorities you know.

8. reGOTCHA
    Pirate

It's a free OS... you can't ask much from them...

...What do you mean it's not free? I always got the ISO from them and used an open source Key Management Server?!

1. Clausewitz 4.0
      Devil

Careful, this MAY be called cracking a software and MAY be quite illegal in your country.

If you have the proper clearance to do it, forget please.

1. arachnoid2
        Joke

Clearance

I have a letter written by the one and only Santa that states Im alright to carry on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like