back to article We've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Mega-comets lurking in solar systems, spewing carbon monoxide

Not only is comet Bernardinelli-Bernstein the largest of its kind known, it’s also one of the most active, distant comets, likely spewing plumes of gas further out from the Sun than expected. The object, code-named C/2014 UN271 (Bernardinelli-Bernstein) or just comet BB, was first spotted in 2014. It was tentatively considered …

1. iowe_iowe

Big unit

As another big unit that expels large volumes of noxious gas in the dark, I identify with this comet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: Big unit

Plus, I can identify with its age.

But my noxious gases have more complex carbon molecules, i.e. methane.

2. Roger Kynaston
    Happy

visible to mere mortals

I hope it comes close enough so it can be seen by my 130 mm reflector.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: visible to mere mortals

We could really do with it coming just within eyeball distance.

The global news coverage of a lump big enough to be (at best) civilisation ending might have rearranged some priorities.

Can a 130mm scope resolve 100Km at 10AU? I'm guessing that looking for Saturns moons would be a good indicator.

2. Tom 7

It says in the article it orbits beyond Uranus. So it aint coming close unless something disturbs its orbit.

Being a comet it may have a large enough coma and tail to be picked up by your 5 inch.

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

It also says in the article "the comet reaches perihelion at around 10 AU, around Saturn’s orbit" which is closer than Uranus.

3. Rich 2 Silver badge

100km across?

Wow! That would be a doozy if it decided to turn around and head for us. It would be like a game of billiards in HHGTG style (or was it Red Dwarf? Mmmmm)

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: 100km across?

HHGTG - Billiards

Red Dwarf - Pool

2. ThatOne Silver badge
      Alert

Re: 100km across?

Now that is a BB pellet...

4. myhandler

"the mega-comet exhibited a coma a startling 23.8 astronomical units (AU) from the Sun – roughly 24 times the distance between the Earth and our star

Meaningless approximation? How about just saying what an AU is.

Or measure in football pitches.

1. Martin Gregorie

the mega-comet exhibited a coma a startling 23.8 astronomical units (AU) from the Sun – roughly 24 times the distance between the Earth and our star

We, on Earth are, by definition, 1AU from the Sun. Our orbital radius defines the Astronomical Unit, which is approximately 150 million kilometers (93 million miles).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like