back to article Qualcomm crams more smarts into flagship mobile chip: It's the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1

Qualcomm today will unveil its latest flagship chip, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, a greatest-hits compilation of the US giant's fastest CPU, GPU, camera, and modem technology. The company is claiming a 20 per cent performance improvement and 30 per cent power savings from its predecessor, the Snapdragon 888, which was announced …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This makes choosing my next phone easy

Not snapdragon 8 gen 1

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't mind giving a spin with a desktop class machine built around that processor running Ubuntu Mate. In particular, I'd like to see how it can do building a real web application compared to a 12-core AMD. Much is made about the efficiency of modern ARM processors; I'd like to put it to the test.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

But then comes Google

Google has been crapping all over Android recently. Android 11 is such a dumpster fire that I have fond memories of my older phone, which I used to think was bad because of Android 10. I seriously don't want to update anything until Android is forked away from Google.

November 2021 marked the moment when all new Android 11+ apps in Play Store using the microSd card must take a 10x to 10000x performance penalty. A really fast 1TB card is reduced to a few IOPS by Google's SAF. No Snapdragon upgrade is going to fix that. A super fast chip trapped by tiny onboard storage isn't a compelling upgrade either.

1. LB45

Re: But then comes Google

"November 2021 marked the moment when all new Android 11+ apps in Play Store using the microSd card must take a 10x to 10000x performance penalty. A really fast 1TB card is reduced to a few IOPS by Google's SAF."

The whole "don't use a SD card, use internal storage" thing is a huge turn off for me. I've been fighting it since they first started down this path with various hacks. It's stupid and just adds to the frustrations in trying to choose a new phone these days. The phone makers/OS are going backwards IMHO and I don't give a flip about making it lighter/thinner anymore. Give back my 3.5 jack and removable SD/Battery yah bastards!

Not certain which alternative to go with these days, not sure I want to fight the fiddle bits to keep something running once it's installed. The whole 'smart phone' world has gone mad as far as I'm concerned.

Every time I even consider Apple/IOS they come along and do something stupid / lock in to the walled garden even more so it's all a bitter pill.

*Old man yells at clouds while fumbling with his S5 that's still running but on borrowed time.

4. Totally not a Cylon
    FAIL

Always on Camera?

Hmmmm, an 'always on' camera and signal processor?

Sounds like a massive security hole, or at least that's how many companies will see it. I remember contracting at a 'Major Pharmaceutical company' and being banned from carrying a phone with a camera..... Fortunately this was back before all phones had cameras; mine was a Sony-Ericcson T68i

Android + Always on Camera = advertiser's wet dream.......

1. _LC_
      Alert

Re: Always on Camera?

Yes indeed – and it is not the advertisers who commissioned this. As it happens, it's the same minions who hold the reins at Google. How convenient. The opposition buys itself away, at its own expense!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Always on Camera?

I foresee a surge in phone cases with lens covers. :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like