back to article European carriers push for more OpenRAN support... but it might not end in a win

Hot on the heels of the UK government enshrining in law the power to strip out Huawei, five European carriers have banded together to ask European policymakers to push the development of open radio access network (OpenRAN). The operators – Deutsche Telekom, Orange, Telecom Italia (TIM), Telefónica, and Vodafone – published a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Therer seems to have been a couple of spelling mistakes

in this sentence.

"The UK government, under great pressure from US politicians"

should read

Our American Prime minister, under great pressure from American politicians.

I also note (again) that the American Government is throwing large amounts of unfair subsidies, oops, I mean economic incentives, to American companies. Fucking hypocrites.

2. Fazal Majid

First, burn all the standards bodies

Most of the cost of 5G equipment is due to baroque telco standards laden with legacy baggage, that are exceedingly difficult to implement and test. It would make perfect sense for Western governments to fund a few competing open-source projects at major universities to develop 5G and 6G stacks. That would destroy the Western equipment manufacturers and their proprietary systems as well, but remove the risk of Chinese domination.

1. steelpillow Silver badge

Re: First, burn all the standards bodies

I'd expect the likes of Nokia and Ericsson to join in, just as they have done with OpenRAN. Please remember that in the EU at least, Western != American any more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like