back to article Genetically modified E coli bacteria produce ink for 3D printing programmable objects

Scientists say they have succeeded in producing programmable 3D printed objects from microbial ink produced by genetically modified E coli (Escherichia coli) bacteria. The proof-of-concept study, led by Neel Joshi, associate professor at Northeastern University, Boston, demonstrates the technique could be used to sequester …

1. DarkwavePunk

I don't know...

...if it's just because I'm recently out of surgery and on a lot of medication, but the title of the story alone gives me the utter FEAR. The rest of the article doesn't help much either. Maybe should just go back to the tried and tested dried frog pills. Nurse?!

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Alert

nano bioroids

essentially like nanobots to fix things in a human body, but biological ones. OK so far...

But what happens if the human immune system sees them as an infection when they are used as a treatment? I assume injecting them as part of a treatment, like little cancer eaters or something. Or maybe they just STAY in the lab and make designer drugs?

E-coli from other organisms (than yourself) can play havoc on your health. best not let this get out (like OTHER "things": that have been demonstrated to escape from a lab and cause WORLDWIDE HAVOC)

1. Kibble 2

Re: nano bioroids

Back to Raccoon City with you, Bob!

2. Muscleguy

Re: nano bioroids

We are very good at crippling bacteria. E. coli in particular. For eg the sort used in bio labs cannot make the amino acid tryptophan which is very rare in the environment. So to grow them you have to supply in the growth media/plate. It gets used up, growth stops.

So that can be done here with these bugs and almost certainly has been done. So in essence we can switch the bugs on or off, on or off, on or off. Biotech has had this sorted for Decades. Google the Asilomar Conference for the start of it.

3. the Jim bloke
    Coat

Shit just got real...

...useful...

1. sanmigueelbeer

I can see the writing's on the wall

Stop writing cr@p.

:)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FFS - havent we learnt from Whuhan?

May as well give up, and move strait to the grey goo....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, does this mean you can timestamp your diarrhea with 3D letters ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That would be a totally new way to add roughage.

No, wait..

:)

6. the Jim bloke
    Pint

A case can be made

- with the assistance of sufficient alcohol (but not too much, cause its bad for the little buggers) - that humanity is the vessel by which E Coli has conquered the world, and all our achievements in art, and science, and architecture are just distractions from our true purpose of spreading our micro-flora across the face of the planet. This article shows that science is not a waste of time, freeing bacteria to colonize beyond colons and potentially into space itself.

The sky is no longer the limit.

To Infinity and Beyond !

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<cough> 'Mutant 59: The Plastic Eaters' by Kit Pedler and Gerry Davis

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Names sound familiar........ quick googly......

Creators of the Cybermen in Dr Who!

8. hatti

Thats all good but..

What if controlling microbial ink is like herding cats?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon