avoid teamviewer. price hikes, reusal to end auto renewal, refusal to remove payment details

This topic was created by psychonaut .

1. psychonaut

avoid teamviewer. price hikes, reusal to end auto renewal, refusal to remove payment details

a cautionary tale, teamviewer are getting nasty -

Firstly teamviewer have implemented the quota on my account, which i've never been aware of, but fair enough. but, because i have never realised i have a quota, i have never bothered to delete any old pc's...my account is 8 years old now. so i have circa 1700 computers on it. most of which are dead.

so, i was happy to pay a fair license fee, but only for the machines that are not long dead. firstly they said i had to do it manually, now they have given me scripting tools to see how many there are, but they dont provide the correct information. they have now said that that is all they can do.

so, i am not happy to pay for 1700 computers when maybe i only have 500 hundred, and also, they want to jack the price up by a factor of 5 anyway (i was grandfathered in at a really good price to be fair).

I'm now seeking legal advice via my business insurance as to if they can enforce an auto renew that is not due to occur until 3 weeks time.

this post is really just a warning, i am quite disgusted at the behaviour of the company, and i wonder if anyone else has had this issue and got round it?

i will also post the results of the legal advice i will be getting.

so, now i have started looking at alternative suppliers, and im done with teamviewer. im moving to splashtop.

so i ask them to prevent the contract from renewing in about 3 weeks time. the middle of december, they say the following, which i find incredible. they have also refused to remove the payment method i have on file.

Thank you for reaching out to TeamViewer.

Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request for cancellation. You can view our End-User License Agreement (“EULA”) by clicking on the link: TeamViewer End-User License Agreement (See the section B.5.1 of the agreement).

"Unless otherwise specified in the Order, the Contract has an initial term of twelve (12) months (“Initial Term”) and shall subsequently be renewed automatically for additional periods of twelve (12) months (each a “Renewal Term”), unless either party notifies the other party no less than twenty-eight (28) days prior to the end of the Initial Term or any Renewal Term that it has elected not to renew the Contract."

As your request was sent outside of the contractual renewal period, cancellation is not permitted for the upcoming invoice.

Once you have received the invoice and it has been settled I would be happy to terminate your license for the next renewal period.

Have a nice day.

2. psychonaut

legal advice is to let them invoice, then let them sue me if they believe they have a case.

if they manage to successfully bill me, i am to sue them.

lawyers noted that the "auto renewal policy having to be cancelled within 28 days of the renewal period" was unlikely to be lawful .

they also did the following:

1)say they are going to enforce a quota within 28 days of expiry of subscription (of 200, which i had never known before and ive been with them for 8 years, there are 1700 computers on my account, vast majority of which are dead)

2)say i have to pay 5x my current subscription

3)refuse to help me remove dead machines

4) refuse to cancel auto renewal due in 25 days time

5) refuse to remove payment details

6) attempt to charge me for a service which has not yet happened, and for which they will suffer precisely zero financial loss if it is cancelled, as the date for renewal is in the future.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon