back to article Google eats social bookmarking sideline

As it continues to cut costs, the Mountain View Chocolate Factory will soon shutter Google Shared Stuff, an attempt at so-called social bookmarking. Google Shared Stuff was launched in September 2007, after so many navel-gazing net mavens had turned their attentions to Delicious and other sites that share your browser …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's a trick

you've been warned

2. Dan JOhnson
    Dead Vulture

Watch and wait for the Google Bubble Bursting

Google is evidence of what happens when a company run by inexperienced businessmen start reading their own press. They've been spending money like sailors on shore leave and not buying viable companies. Now they see that they've spent too much and their house of cards is beginning to crumble. Their P/E ration is at 25.9 and if there is anything we've learned from the do-com bust, it's that companies in such a position are headed for a crash - especially in an economy like this one and you don't sell things that people can't do without. Google offers nothing that we can't do without.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

plenty of firms

need the advertising google provides; for some it's essential

btw, isn't it time we had some more complaints about biased coverage of google?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Google

"Their P/E ration is at 25.9 and if there is anything we've learned from the do-com bust, it's that companies in such a position are headed for a crash - especially in an economy like this one and you don't sell things that people can't do without."

What's MSFT's p/e? 9?

http://www.google.com/finance?q=msft

They're discounting MSFT on the expectation of future failure I reckon, (Office looks shaky in particular, Windows is under attack from Linux laptots).

I think they're pricing up Google because companies have to fight harder for sales during recessions and that drives up advertising spends. Hence the multiple. (you can continue to use your MS software for longer, but you you need to keep your ad spend ongoing to sell).

6. W

"it's still beloved by certain segment of the Web 2.0-obsessed digerati"

...and normal folk who appreciate an exceedingly useful service that does what it says on the tin: Online Bookmarking. In truth, Delicious is fairly Web1.5-ish. And no worse for that.

The immersion into the social element of Delicious is entirely up to the user - you can keep all your bookmarks entirely private if you wish. I opt to keep /some/ bookmarks private and I very rarely use the wholly unobtrusive social part of their offering.

And I'd pay a small subscription fee to use it, if it came to it. Which is more than I can say for virtually every other website/web app, Gmail and GMaps excepted.

And there's no obvious competition. Magnolia's recent hiccup does them no favours at all, and every other service I'm aware of is cluttered to fook with portal-esque junk.

7. Steve
    Thumb Up

I'm with W

Delicious does what Yahoo used to, but in a very transparent way. It provides a guid to the internet (n.b. not a search) so when I want to look at some photography web-sites (for example), at least there's a good job I'm not going to be looking at complete tosh if I find them on delicious.

8. Dan Silver badge

Yahoo Briefcase will get knocked on the head too...

... on 30th of March.

Just got the message today although I haven't used it in years, it became fairly useless after they increased mail space.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like